Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #4,456 of 5,506
That article was a little frustrating, to say the least. I'm really amazed and a little disappointed to find out that Beats managed to get half of the headphone market. That said, I'd imagine that a large portion of that market didn't care about headphones before and probably only spent up to $30 for replacement earbuds. It wouldn't surprise me if they essentially created more of the market rather than taking control of large portions of it.

The thing that bothers me most is that they are so heavily based on marketing. They can make it sound like they're revolutionizing the quality of consumer audio because people don't know that high quality brands already exist for this. Most people don't know of companies like Grado, AKG, Audio Technica, Ultrasone, Etymotic, Denon, Beyerdynamic, etc. I'd consider headphones more of a commonly understood product by most consumers, so it doesn't surprise me that people are unaware of companies that produce better sound cards for improved computer audio. I'm not sure why these other companies didn't make a better effort to market their products more, but Beats took advantage of that opportunity and did an amazing job of it.They're claiming to be the first company to do what they do, while other companies have been doing it for a long time and have been doing it better. And people are believing it. The general population doesn't realize that Beats doesn't have any particularly special technology behind it. Beats can make all of these claims because most people don't know any better and the people that do are already looking at other brands anyway.

To be fair, I think his comments about the engineers that have never been in a studio were in reference to other companies going for a similar business model as Beats. I'm not sure they really consider the companies that are well known on these boards as competition. If you consider the market share they've captured so quickly, they don't need to be worried about companies like Beyer, Audio Technica, etc. Unless those companies take on a different business/marketing model, they won't be a threat to Beats. Beats is worried about other brands that want to use the names of popular artists as a selling point and marketing tool.

The headphone industry is starting to remind me of the beer industry. You have a few big players that everyone knows, even though a lot of the smaller companies are producing much better products. Lately there has been a surge in popularity of micro breweries and more people are becoming aware of the wide varieties of beer and the fact that there are better choices than the beers from the big 3 companies. I hope that we might see something similar with the headphone/audio industry. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #4,457 of 5,506

Quote:
Not all..
In fact, Samsung has a contract with JAYS. It'll include JAYS earphones / headphones in some of their phones. However, currently it is only available in Korea.

That might've just swayed me over from Motorola devices. It is rather sad to see devices like the Rezound being ruined with the Beats logo. If I had one, rest assured, I'd scratch that logo off and delete Beats audio from the system. A media phone with a really hilariously laughable FR graph. Look back some 10, 15 pages if you want to see it. Massive treble and mid-bass spikes.

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4,459 of 5,506

Quote:
That might've just swayed me over from Motorola devices. It is rather sad to see devices like the Rezound being ruined with the Beats logo. If I had one, rest assured, I'd scratch that logo off and delete Beats audio from the system. A media phone with a really hilariously laughable FR graph. Look back some 10, 15 pages if you want to see it. Massive treble and mid-bass spikes.

While I agree it is sad that the rezound did get the beats logo, I am happy with the color scheme as I love black and red. However, the beats thing on it kind of disappoints me, but I rarely pay attention to the logos. I just care about the phone, screen, speed, and if it can play sound or not. The beats audio system doesn't work if you use another music app btw, which is why I have poweramp installed in my rezound, and rooted it too.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4,460 of 5,506
Samsung really should have phones with JAYS here. the Rezound kind of annoys me. It's arguably the best phone Verizon has (Does the GN still have signal problems? That's kind of important for a phone. And the Razr doesn't have a removable battery. It's not really that battery life is an issue, but I'd rather not have it be a paperweight once the battery wears out in a couple of years. Although I can't say I use my old BB Pearl anymore...), save for the S3 that's kind of iffy, but I really would prefer not to support Beats in any way. I guess I'll have to get the GN anyways, since I have another month for any issues to be fixed.

And Iovine is worse than the apologetic fratdaddies that buy them... 

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4,461 of 5,506

Quote:
Samsung really should have phones with JAYS here. the Rezound kind of annoys me. It's arguably the best phone Verizon has (Does the GN still have signal problems? That's kind of important for a phone. And the Razr doesn't have a removable battery. It's not really that battery life is an issue, but I'd rather not have it be a paperweight once the battery wears out in a couple of years. Although I can't say I use my old BB Pearl anymore...), save for the S3 that's kind of iffy, but I really would prefer not to support Beats in any way. I guess I'll have to get the GN anyways, since I have another month for any issues to be fixed.

I feel for you, too bad I wanted the fastest phone so far and that rezound is the best of both worlds. No wonder it is underrated. Stupid beats logo just ruined the good phone. I do feel guilty though, as I tell people, look! it has a beats logo! That's the only way I can relate to the guys, most of them have beats, so I just went along with it. Just like others say, the EQ just raises volume, maybe gives the damn headphones more bass too. Poweramp is what I'd use to take that stupid EQ away.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4,462 of 5,506

Quote:

If you're in the market, it may be worth looking at the Droid Bionic. I knew about the upcoming devices (razr, rezound and GN) when I bought mine and I can't say I've regretted it. The hardware differences are fairly small and I honestly prefer it after having tried each of the 3 I mentioned. It's not perfect, but I like the feel of it and it performs nicely. The updates have helped it a lot.

That said, there's always a new device or updates to existing devices that might make them more appealing, so it might just be worth waiting. I'm personally interested in the Droid 4, though I'm not even close to qualifying for an upgrade.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #4,463 of 5,506

Quote:

If you're in the market, it may be worth looking at the Droid Bionic. I knew about the upcoming devices (razr, rezound and GN) when I bought mine and I can't say I've regretted it. The hardware differences are fairly small and I honestly prefer it after having tried each of the 3 I mentioned. It's not perfect, but I like the feel of it and it performs nicely. The updates have helped it a lot.

That said, there's always a new device or updates to existing devices that might make them more appealing, so it might just be worth waiting. I'm personally interested in the Droid 4, though I'm not even close to qualifying for an upgrade.

I actually asked my fencing coach (I think he had something to do with making it) how it is and he says it's a decent device, but the battery is still iffy. I can carry extra batteries, so if still has the Bionic in the middle of March when I upgrade, so that might be a possibility. I'm starting to regret waiting so long for the HD2 two years ago since I haven't even been able to use it for the better part of a year because I was clumsy and it was thrown at a wall when I tripped, so the glass was completely shattered. Now I'm using a Blackberry that's horribly frustrating to use at times. Sadly, waiting more than a couple of weeks won't be a possibility too because my sisters want phones and probably want that to happen as soon as possible. 

If only the iPhone 4S wasn't...a 4S and the anticipated 5 instead. I don't exactly care too much about the UI, but I do care about the small screen and how terribly it fits my hand. With any luck the Nexus will drop $100 by then. I don't think I'll be able to drop $300 on a phone without giving up on a few plans.

The Droid 4 looks interesting too, especially with the keyboard. Although I didn't love the Droid 3's display and the 4 has the same one right?

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4,464 of 5,506

Quote:
While I agree it is sad that the rezound did get the beats logo, I am happy with the color scheme as I love black and red. However, the beats thing on it kind of disappoints me, but I rarely pay attention to the logos. I just care about the phone, screen, speed, and if it can play sound or not. The beats audio system doesn't work if you use another music app btw, which is why I have poweramp installed in my rezound, and rooted it too.

Still a "meh" device in my opinion. If my friends ask me what phone is that, and they notice it's a Rezound, they'll go "oh did you get some Beats too?". That would be why I'd probably scratch off the blasted logo and/or stick another logo on it. Some people actually have complained that the red key lights are more often pink than crimson.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #4,465 of 5,506

Quote:

Still a "meh" device in my opinion. If my friends ask me what phone is that, and they notice it's a Rezound, they'll go "oh did you get some Beats too?". That would be why I'd probably scratch off the blasted logo and/or stick another logo on it. Some people actually have complained that the red key lights are more often pink than crimson.

Well, I understand why you'd think that, but I see the appeal to that phone. hah, they would never say that to me as they  have NO CLUE what the REZOUND is at all. Hmm..I notice it as red to me, guess I don't notice pink until they go really light. But at least I see some shine of a different color other than dang white.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #4,467 of 5,506
Alright so a little story..

Last night I was at Mall of America here in Minneapolis, and the best buy in there is pretty insane, absolutely huge..  They even have a full musician area with guitars/bass/dj equipment etc.  Tons of decent DJ headphones in there as well, its pretty cool.  Anyways, the main headphone area consisted of lower end senns, some sonys (including the xb700, which I tried for the first time and was unimpressed), other assorted cheapies, and of course the beats trio.  As Im browsing for the hell of it, and trying the xb700 out, kids started coming up to the beats and trying them.  When I was done with the sonys there were five guys standing there (3 demoing) all raving about how good all of the models are.  One guy was saying he was pretty sure he was going to buy the beats pro, but he didnt know yet so he wanted to come back.  Being the nice guy that I am, I decided to bud in and offer my advice.  Knowing that the microsoft store in the building carried the V-Moda Crossfade LP/LP2 and the M-80/V-80, I suggested he check them out.  Having listened to all of the beats models on a few occasions, and owning a pair of crossfade LPs, I can safely say the V-modas trump the beats in pretty much every aspect.  I explained why I was giving him this tip, and told him to at least go down to the microsoft store and see what he thinks.  

Well, I then left best buy and my friend and I sat down and ate some wings.  When we left, on our way out, I saw that same guy carrying a microsoft bag with a v-moda shaped box in it.  

Total sense of accomplishment.  I saved him some money, too 
cool.gif
  Its nice when people actually listen to the advice given and not just shrug it off because of that "pull" beats have on people.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4,468 of 5,506
Gotta say, I get some weird looks due to my (relatively huge) AD-700's here in Attleburah. 

One of the problems you face when living here, is that EVERYONE....has beats or bose. 
You could walk into my school and instantly point out 20 to 30 pairs of the damn things. 
What makes it better is that all the kids that wear them seem to think they can rap, hence they walk around with them absolutely BLASTING some little wayne song, and they will try to rap with it or literally throw in new words. 

I could go on endless endless rants about beats and bose in this place...but none of them would hear any of it, they would be to busy in their own minds thinking how awesome they look and sound to even hear a word anyone says.

Granted, the AD-700's are not quite the best headphones ever made, they do lack some punch, but they are open-air so that's to be expected. I do love the occasional call out of how due to Audio Technica not being a very well known brand around here, that they are automatically crap and that I wasted my money.

Solution finally came to let them be ignorant and unknowing in the ways of the headphones, They want to spend extreme amount of money to look cool? Good. Go for it, waste away. Meanwhile ill have a little convo with the couple of people that actually come up and know what real headphones are.

TL;DR Let idiots be idiots, know that you are simply above them. If they refuse to acknowledge it, they are a waste of time to argue against.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4,470 of 5,506

Quote:
Well, I understand why you'd think that, but I see the appeal to that phone. hah, they would never say that to me as they  have NO CLUE what the REZOUND is at all. Hmm..I notice it as red to me, guess I don't notice pink until they go really light. But at least I see some shine of a different color other than dang white.

Oh of course, hardware wise, it is definitely a great phone. It's just that even developers are starting to incorporate this so called "Beats audio" into their builds. Naturally, once CM9 lands, it'll be brilliant. Though I'd probably prefer Nexus for Voodoo. The old 5 band EQ of DSPManager got a little upgrade to 6 band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back