General question about gain settings
Feb 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
Generally speaking, what is the difference (in terms of affect on SQ, or wear-and-tear o an amp) between:

playing an amp with the volume adjusted high while using a lower gain setting; and

playing an amp with the volume adjusted low while using a high gain setting?

I usually have to choose between playing at about 9:00 with a high gain setting, or 2:00-3:00 on a low gain setting. Is this a distinction without a difference?

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 3
Affordable volume pots generally perform better in the middle of their ranges, with their worst performance usually at the low end of their range. Therefore it is better to have your amp's gain setting be such that, with your headphone of choice, the typical volume setting be within the 11-2 range.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 3
With my Opera, both low and high gain have different sonic spatial qualities. I love both equally, and which one I use depends on the song I am listening to..

I've found low gain on most amps to ultimately have better spectral balance. High impedance headphones can only be driven on high gain if you wish to hear your music at a normal volume. My Denons are low impedance but require high current to deliver their sonic potential. A portable amp won't deliver the goods with them (although I used to think they did before building up my desktop rig).

Also, on the Opera low gain provides much more depth to the soundstage while high gain places the orchestra up close and personal. High gain on the Opera also has a warmer, full-bodied sound. Low gain has much more detail, especially in the bass and midbass frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back