Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #8,431 of 13,800
  Received an email notification stating that my Pulse Infinity (Chassis 1.0) has shipped. Anyone else?

Nothing on mine. I was just wondering if I should tell them to switch me back to the new chassis. I switched to the original thinking that it might get me something quicker. I thin it was Gina that told me  if I didn't get anything by the end of July, I may as well go for the new chassis. Basically by then they would have used the stock of original chassis and it would be the same amount of additional wait for them to either get more of the original chassis or the new model.

I can't seem to win... I am getting to the point of just resigning myself to the October time frame.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #8,432 of 13,800
I received a shipping notice late last month for the old chassis but was later cancelled and was told to expect it in late Jul. 

By the way thanks for the comments on the reviews and msrp topics.   Just wanted to stimulate some conversation.  

I ended up selling my Benchmark 1 with Bel CANTO USB/SPIDIF converter in anticipation of the infinity.

Now I am just listening to a GO that i bought used.  connected to a Schiit Wyrd and IFI i tube LOL , and to be honest I am happy with the little system.

Its been so long that I don't think I even need the better system 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #8,433 of 13,800
Funny thing how that happens...Have been using Geek Out Special Edition, sometimes into MicroZOTL, have a Wave, Vi Tube, And Source on order, and. Tbh, I'm happy with the sound I'm getting, would be ok without all the rest of the stuff at this point.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #8,434 of 13,800
Don't you want to be even happier when it arrives?? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #8,435 of 13,800
Well, all I can say is, if everything knocks my socks off, more than they already are, I'm sure I'll be a happy camper!

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #8,436 of 13,800
I hope you don't wear your shoes else shocks won't be knocked off that far. 
biggrin.gif
 I have sampled the GO 1K only and I am utterly impressed, made me regret my Oppo HA-2 purchase but now that it has broken in including the free Apple 3 month Music subscription I got on, my smartphone and the HA-2 has become very friendly so I am hoping the Wave will be friendlier and knocks my socks off too, only time will tell. I am expecting the Infinity in the new enclosure so I still have some ways to go but with what I am hearing, that will be sweet time ahead. Let's hope at least half of my orders will be coming before year end.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #8,438 of 13,800

On a related note, I have not seen a lot of professional reviews on the Geek.  I think initially there were some but I was expecting more reviewers to get their hands on the Pulse.  Also it would be nice to compare the DAC with similarly price DACS.  And I am not talking about Indiegogo pricing but suggested MSRP.  I think comparisons will be useful for any future customers, and to see if they are really worth the MSRP.  Does a plain Geek PULSE really perform as a 1K DAC, don't know.  But I think at some point people need to start talking about it.  Does the Infinity really compare to DACs in the 3K range or whatever the price is. 
[/quote

From *cough cough* years reading audiophile mags (Stereophile, TAS, The Audiophile Voice, others), there is a big difference in the way most "professional" reviewers write/review, and most Head-Fiers. Reviews in the Audiophile Press usually state the reviewer has lived with the gear for a number of months, really getting to know it, possibly trying different components to get a sense of how it matches with other gear. On Head Fi, everyone is in a rush to get a review in. It is not unusual to read..."I have been listening to XYZ for 2 hours, and I had to post this review", or something to that effect. I personally have had my opinion of gear change as I live with it, and have sometimes been sorry or embarrassed by some of my early impressions, and have had to post retractions or changed opinions. I wouldn't expect to see Stereophile reviewing this next week (they generally won't review pre-production units either, no "beta" impressions), and not until maybe fall or winter, if they do their job correctly.
My $0.02.

I am not aware of any other review other than Mine oh Headphone.guru. I had a lot of time with the unit and I bought the Infinity.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #8,439 of 13,800
BTW, FYI.....

I was at LH Labs Friday for the whole day......

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #8,442 of 13,800
Jul 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #8,443 of 13,800
Correction: big rectangular piece of plastic, perhaps acrylic...

I suspect that the display window is sized to suit the front panel display of the (was Geek, is now Pulse) Source. Having the Source in the Pulse chassis as opposed to the hexagonal DaVinci inspired design originally presented is not exactly thrilling. Maybe the Pulse 2.0 will have a larger display than the current models. Lots of room for speculation here... :)

J.P.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #8,444 of 13,800
The display board is different. It has a slot for the SD card for firmware updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back