Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #6,331 of 13,800
Heads up. GeekOut 450 is on Ma**drop for $169, with potential to drop to $129. Cheers

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #6,332 of 13,800

Yeah if no reply is made in 72 hours of a ticket that auto-closed, a new ticket can be made and you can request that the old ticket gets merged. its more of a storage thing.

I think it is a matter of them being able to show short closure times for tickets... No ticket should be closed without the customer agreeing. This went on with the first system as well.
I think it was Gavin that said it would not happen going forward when talking about the new system. Now it is worse, because you just get no worthwhile answer  and no ability to re-open a ticket that should never have been closed at all.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #6,333 of 13,800
BTW, got my Verb IEMs today. They are really bad. I sincerely have purchased IEMs for $5 that are better.
Not trying to beat somebody up, just saying what I think about what I heard. I hope they don't think these things are worth what they claim will be the list price.

I was going to sell one of my pair to a friend. Now I will give them to him... with a disclaimer.. Don't complain to me if you don't like them.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #6,334 of 13,800
BTW, got my Verb IEMs today. They are really bad. I sincerely have purchased IEMs for $5 that are better.
Not trying to beat somebody up, just saying what I think about what I heard. I hope they don't think these things are worth what they claim will be the list price.

I was going to sell one of my pair to a friend. Now I will give them to him... with a disclaimer.. Don't complain to me if you don't like them.

After the issues with my Pulse, the 'great' reviews of the $159 MSRP Verb (which will be delivered to me tomorrow) and wondering when I'll get my Wave and how disappointing that will be (ugh) I'll say it again..........Emperor's new clothes.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #6,335 of 13,800
IMO most if not all reviewers with websites who receive early demo units are bias and can't be trusted. They usually receive benefits of one kind or another.
You'll know how ridiculous they are once they start claiming a custom iem sounds bigger than most full sized headphones even comparing them to HD800.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #6,336 of 13,800
TBH I never know why LHL even bother to make this IEM. This market is already saturated with Chinese manufacturers, whom I think are where LHL OEMed from.
Did they really think they can make money selling those at MSRP?

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #6,338 of 13,800

They're not taboo around here anymore. :wink: You can say their name aloud. Just not 3 times, or you may summon them.

Why was Massdrop taboo on here? And why aren't LH labs, I just don't get it!  Massdrop, Massdrop, Massdrop, LH labs, LH labs, LH labs.

I have just said it aloud three times. Now what will happen? 

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #6,339 of 13,800
Basically, and I'm leaving a lot out here but this is the just of it: There was mistrust of Massdrop for a while by vendors/sponsors who misunderstood Massdrop's business model. That's been cleared up for a while, but a lot of people remember the initial reaction.

This is entirely unrelated to LH Labs, except that the GO 450 is currently on Massdrop.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #6,340 of 13,800
Got my Verbs today as well, not impressed out of the box, muddy sounding. Have them hooked up for a long break in, maybe that will make a difference, sometimes it does, we'll see...

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #6,341 of 13,800
http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/3778-audio-precision-test-results-of-vi-dac-geek-pulse-infinite-too
[quote="Larry]
Hi, there

I'm happy to show you the current test results. And here is the list of 'difference' than Geek Pulse.

1. Naked resistors (totally 4) hand matched and installed
2. New MELF on output circuit matched and installed
3. All measure in FRM digital mode
4. Femto Clocks runs for 12 hours (if I have more time, it could be better)
5. Not in Chassis yet.

--- Two basic stuff --- THD+N and SNR @ 90K Hz Bandwidth, none-weighted.

THDNRatio.jpg

RMSLevel.jpg

Part 2: Jitter Test. We zoom in around the 1K Test signal, see how narrow the 'skirt' is, and does it has any surrounding spikes that represent the low frequency jitter... And we have this one.
(John Atkinson use this from time to time)

You could see how clean it is. Nothing there. At least in our AP's resolution, we see something really amazing.

JitterFFT.jpg

Part 3: This is one of the most revealing parts. The FFT.... I list three charts here. First one, normal Geek Pulse X in FRM (which is amazing already), and Geek Pulse Infinite in TCM, Geek Pulse Infinite in FTM.
FTM mode is Femto Time Mode, which further lock in the signal via its super-stablized dual Femto Clocks...

*Standard Geek Pulse X*

FFT-Normal.jpg

You could see only 3rd HD is slightly above -100dB. Everything above 4th HD are all below -120dB.
Don't forget, we are not talking about the DAC above $10K. It is an amazing desktop DAC.

*Vi DAC/ Geek Pulse Infinite* --- TCM

FFTInfiniteTCM.jpg

This is type of the FFT we really like to see....
Did you find the difference? Look closer to 4K,5K and all above distortion. This is the KEY thing you could not see from a simple THD number. Naked resistors, analog parts with many other optimization bring you the true 'open and clear' sky above 4th HD.

*Vi DAC / Geek Pulse Infinite* FTM ---

FFTInfiniteFTM.jpg

Well.... you could do a better description than me.

Want to see how the digital filter reject the high frequency false image?

Here you go.

CCIFRatio.jpg

19K20k.jpg

Also, the channel cross talk....

Crosstalk_2015-03-11.jpg

[/quote]

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #6,342 of 13,800
  Guys, I just got information from Jay's Audio that LPS25VA 12VDC/2A can be used for Pulse HPA based on the following information stated in the Indiegogo campaign of the Pulse HPA power supply requirement:

Pulse Headphone Amplifier comes with low noise 12VDC switching power supply. And we recommend you use Pulse HPA and Pulse Tube HPA with our Geek LPS4. Pulse HPA needs one 1.2A 12V output from LPS4 (or LPS). And Pulse Tube HPA needs one 1.2A 12V, one 500mA 12V output from LPS4.

Again, HPA could work with Geek LPS or LPS4. Tube HPA needs LPS4 to provide one 500mA 12V (for Tube heater), and one 1.2A 12V supply (for the rest of the circuit)

I wonder whether or not the Tube HPA would be happy with a single 12V PSU.  Maybe not optimal performance, but hopefully still quite good.  It might have to be a 2A, or 1.7+A supply...

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #6,343 of 13,800

Got my Verbs today as well, not impressed out of the box, muddy sounding. Have them hooked up for a long break in, maybe that will make a difference, sometimes it does, we'll see...

I'd mirror these thoughts so far.  I actually have two pairs, I use IEMs on the train/BART, so they get beat up and i figured that $40 wasn't too bad.  At any rate, I'm going to burn in one pair and then see if there is any actual difference. I'm thinking about letting them run for 300+h.

I'd also say that I didn't realize how important inline volume controls are to me.  I find them so convenient, and the lack of these controls makes these IEMs even more frustrating.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #6,344 of 13,800
Also bought 2 pairs since they were cheap, and also waiting for the balanced version. My old iPod nano is going full time, see what happens...

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6,345 of 13,800

I already mentioned my initial thoughts. Well that was from about half an hour of listening. I listened some more last night. Still the same as my first impressions. They are way bass heavy and non-detailed. Even then the bass doesn't seem to go very low. They remind me of what the Beats audio curve on my HTC DNA does... without that bit of sparkle that it adds. BTW, I turned that off permanently.
Perhaps these were designed to appeal to the Beats crowd, but the FR balance and total lack of air just does not appeal to me. I suppose for somebody that just wants a bunch of mid bass they may suffice.
I don't much buy into the burn in concept. Even if it made a 10% difference (which I doubt) it couldn't possibly be enough to save these things for my ears.

Seriously, I swapped back and forth with some IEMs that I bought for $5 from China. They have wood bodies. I am sure you folks have seen them out there. These were purchased to keep in my drawer at work to give to people who broke their iBuds... and listening to AM radio while mowing the lawn.. I really like the way they sound better. I wonder why a company that wants an audiophile image would even consider putting their name on these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back