Gear hound or vanity?
Feb 26, 2006 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
There are so many head-fiers here with such vast collections of gear, it kinda begs a few questions...

- What do you really do with all those headphones & amps & such?
I can understand the collector syndrome to an extent...especially the AT woody thing. But really, what do you do with all this stuff? Just look at it? Some of the stashes I've seen are so large that surely there must be a good amount of gear there that never...and I do mean never...gets any use.

So what gives?
- Is it the pack rat syndrome?
- Is it just a matter of gear you've accumulated along the journey toward your current "ultimate" rig(s), and having never gotten around to purging the lesser gear? Let it be said that I've got more than my share of just this sort of gear, so I'm not claiming any kind of moral high ground here, don't get me wrong.
- Or is it, do I dare say, a certain amount of vanity (that you may or may not choose to admit)? Could it be that some of us may possibly harbor some sort of subconscious belief that sporting such a vast (and largely unused) collection or gear impresses our friends & fellow head-fiers? Again, I don't exclude myself from this possibility, so please don't think I'm preaching...but I think it's kind of a fair question.

Peace,

Graz

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

basshead.gif

580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

icon10.gif
icon10.gif

orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

280smile.gif
280smile.gif

600smile.gif

eek.gif

340smile.gif
340smile.gif

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

redface.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Graz
we're not going to tell you , we're evil .
and it's a secret .

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 25
I buy audio gear out of curiosity. Once that's satisfied, much of it does get warehoused. I can't speak for others, but I don't want the bother of going through the selling process. It's easier just to pack away what's not in current use.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 25
My girlfriend asks me this all the time. My response:

Each headphone is different and each has a different sound signature which I prefer depending on what I am listening to, where I am and what mood I am in. I also like to keep them because I like to share them when I go to meets so other people can get an impression of what they sound like.
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
oh graz, just wait till china is the richest contry in the world and then you'll see how you fill the void.

confused.gif
Huh?

Peace,

Graz

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 25
I'm frugal. Usually only have one or two amps/one or two headphones in my possession at any given time. I like to to buy and sell, and keep my overhead low.
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I going with "addiction".

Seconded. It's called "hoarding your stash".

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Again, I don't exclude myself from this possibility, so please don't think I'm preaching...but I think it's kind of a fair question.

Maybe there is something to do this, so I won't rule it out as a possibility as well.

But on the conscious level
tongue.gif
, I'm with LFF. I enjoy the different sounds, and I like being able to go back and forth between different setup's. I may stay with one setup for one week or several months, who knows. I just enjoy the flexibility and option to do so, and it keeps the listening experience fresh.

I also generally don't sell things I buy so call me a pack rat. The only headphone I've sold is HD595, and that was only because I couldn't use them in their intended environment (home) due to sound leakage complaints from my wife.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 25
>aaroncort: oh graz, just wait till china is the richest contry in the world and then you'll see how you fill the void.

>Graz:
confused.gif
Huh?

I guess you should interpret that as "if people have enough spare money, they'll do all kinds of ridiculous things - including the amassment of large amounts of audio gear".

For myself, it probably isn't for showing off, 'cause for example my collection of 50+ mainly middle class headphones is just about as expensive as an Omega II system - although the latter would probably impress more...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 25
I really don't think that much about it. It's just something that I'm "into" at the moment. Maybe one day it will die down and I'll move on to something else to occupy my time, and if so, I'm sure I'll sell a lot of the stuff that I don't make much use of.

I've got over 20 pairs of headphones, and nearly every one of them gets at least some listening time every month. Not always, but usually. On a typical day, I'll listen to maybe 5 or 6 CD's from beginning to end. Sometimes I'll use the same pair of headphones for 2 CD's in a row, but never more than that, so I'm always switching it up. Same with amps and sources, although I don't have quite as many of those. I don't really rotate gear in and out in what I'd call an "intentional" manner. It just depends on what mood strikes and what room I'm in at the moment.

There are obviously certain headphones and amps that become "favorites" but I don't think of it as "upgrading" and trying to find "the best" sound, or whatever. I think that at some level and beyond (for me, it would be the HD600/stock cable and Creek OBH 11-SE, which is what got me started in this hobby), they ALL sound great! So I've got no problem in listening to "lesser" gear, knowing that I've got an Orpheus system that I could be listening to instead. I like to compare and contrast and learn more about different set ups.

I'm a headphone hobbiest, pure and simple. But if this somehow translates into being a "gear hound" or someone into it for "vanity" reasons, then I guess I'm guilty as charged. It's funny, my next door neighbor for the past 8 years came over the other day and said, "Wow! I didn't know you were into headphones! I knew you had speakers because I've heard those..." He's been in my house many times before, but the headphones used to be in my office which he wouldn't have seen.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 25
Well put, Santa. I'm in complete agreement with everything you said from top to bottom.

One of the biggest reasons why I like my Arcam CD73 is the ability to connect two amps to the player at the same time. I can instantly switch between two headphone/amp combos to suit my fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back