g
Mar 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #46 of 173

I'm cautiously saying "no" to the A900X, but you might want to track down the A900/A900X thread - what I've read is basically that the A900X (like the other X revisions) adds more bass to the presentation, which manifests as a "mid-bass hump." It makes perfect sense relative to other, more modern headphones, and for a lot of music, but it fundamentally changes the sound signature. The A900, from what I understand, should be relatively close to the K1000 (the K1000 and A950 measure very similarly (I honestly forget the entire A9x0 family tree, there's probably a dozen products in there though - iirc the A950 is a re-packed 900 though, but I may be thinking of the 900LTD or 900TI or whatever (and there's about four versions of the 950 too!)), and the K1000 is theorized to be something like the D1000 and W1000 mashed together; it's almost certainly an AT, but it's very unlikely a direct rebadge/clone). 

For all I know though, the A900X might actually do it just right - your tastes are likely different than mine, and the mid-bass hump may not be a problem. I haven't seen a direct FR comparison of any of the Xes to the old models though. The 1000/2000X are apparently very different from other ATs, and fairly mid-centric with lean and tight bass. There's very little written about them, and they're both quite expensive (when you consider that AudioCubes doesn't do returns - $500 just to try something out is pretty steep). 

The A900, by contrast to all of the above, are from Amazon, are very easy to drive, and can be returned quite easily if they don't do it for you. They're also cheaper than probably anything else mentioned here except the M50s. So from a pragmatist perspective, it's "worth a shot" (especially since they *are* discontinued, so they will eventually go away forever). One thing I did forget to mention earlier, the ART Monitors are afflicted with some of the least durable and worst wearing (as in longevity) pads in the history of headphones, and sadly the A900 is part of this. You can get replacements from AudioCubes or Audio-Technica, and I'd probably swap them out for something more durable in the process (like W1000 pads).  Supposedly the X resolved this, but given their relative new-ness, it's hard to say; the problem with the ART cans takes years in some cases to manifest. 

What's the "Why" in regards to?
Quote:
Okay. So K1000 and A900 (which is the less expensive alternative I'll probably be more likely to get). No A900x right?

Okay.

Why? And that makes perfect sense.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #50 of 173

Quote:
The ATH-AD2000 was designed for J-Rock/J-Rock/J-Music of all sorts. The sound is strong enough to work just fine unamped, and works especially well even enka.

This sounds like the perfect pair of headphones for me, if only they were cheaper
frown.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #51 of 173
The ATH-AD2000 was designed for J-Rock/J-Rock/J-Music of all sorts. The sound is strong enough to work just fine unamped, and works especially well even enka.

It's so frustrating when the only headphones that are mentioned are Ott expensive ones. Not having a go at you poikkeus, people are only recommending what they've heard which is only right, but I wish there were cheaper alternatives that get it right, especially from AT who are supposed to be Japanese!

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #52 of 173
I don't know which Japan you are thinking of but the Japan I know is known for premium products at premium prices.  There's a reason why countries like China and South Korea are now murdering the Japanese electronic export markets because Japan had left the cheap knock-off market since the 70s.  

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #53 of 173

Quote:
It's so frustrating when the only headphones that are mentioned are Ott expensive ones. Not having a go at you poikkeus, people are only recommending what they've heard which is only right, but I wish there were cheaper alternatives that get it right, especially from AT who are supposed to be Japanese!

I know what you mean. I've been searching for a perfect pair of headphones for a while now for Japanese music, but nothing really seems to satisfy me. And i can't afford to spend so much money on a pair of headphones. While cheaper alternatives are lacking in quality. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #56 of 173
Food for thought: either the Alessandro MS1i or MS2i. I'm reading up on the MS1i and they seem like a more balanced, not too shrill Grado. Great mids and highs, enough bass impact, seems like a great match of most Japanese music which usually focus on vocals. But that's just me wondering how the Grado house sound is like, and possibly may be buying the MS1i in the near future.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #57 of 173
Grado headphones aren't bad at all for vocals, and have great mids in general. I've read a few comparisons that assert the AD1000/2000 being "Grados with comfort and soundstage" but I've never heard the ATH-AD series; couldn't tell you if that's true or not. No idea on the Alessandro, but the SR-225 is a great set for $200; the only complaint you'll hear from me is about comfort and fit. 

Quote:
Food for thought: either the Alessandro MS1i or MS2i. I'm reading up on the MS1i and they seem like a more balanced, not too shrill Grado. Great mids and highs, enough bass impact, seems like a great match of most Japanese music which usually focus on vocals. But that's just me wondering how the Grado house sound is like, and possibly may be buying the MS1i in the near future.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #58 of 173

Quote:
Grado headphones aren't bad at all for vocals, and have great mids in general. I've read a few comparisons that assert the AD1000/2000 being "Grados with comfort and soundstage" but I've never heard the ATH-AD series; couldn't tell you if that's true or not. No idea on the Alessandro, but the SR-225 is a great set for $200; the only complaint you'll hear from me is about comfort and fit. 

Hmm that's what worries me though. While I am very curious about the Grado house sound itself, the amount of comfort and fit complaints, coupled with how expensive it is to acquire even low end Grado cans outside the US, makes me a little bit more hesitant with my money than with other manufacturers.By my understanding though, Alessandro are the international distributor for Grado, but with their own minor tweaks that made them a little bit less of sirens of folklore* and more like headphones.

I'm now reading a thread regarding Grado in a somewhat bad light, and I found some posts interesting when looking at Grado's general history. I don't want to start an argument that could potentially derail this thread, so I'll bite my tongue. :x

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #59 of 173

Alessandro are a musical instrument/pro audio manufacturer; they make guitar cabinets and things like that, and re-package some of the Grado headphones for professional monitor applications. They're somewhat of an oddball. Grado distributes its own headphones internationally; Alessandro is a quasi-independent enterprise. 
Quote:
Hmm that's what worries me though. While I am very curious about the Grado house sound itself, the amount of comfort and fit complaints, coupled with how expensive it is to acquire even low end Grado cans outside the US, makes me a little bit more hesitant with my money than with other manufacturers.By my understanding though, Alessandro are the international distributor for Grado, but with their own minor tweaks that made them a little bit less of sirens of folklore* and more like headphones.

I'm now reading a thread regarding Grado in a somewhat bad light, and I found some posts interesting when looking at Grado's general history. I don't want to start an argument that could potentially derail this thread, so I'll bite my tongue. :x

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #60 of 173

Quote:
Alessandro are a musical instrument/pro audio manufacturer; they make guitar cabinets and things like that, and re-package some of the Grado headphones for professional monitor applications. They're somewhat of an oddball. Grado distributes its own headphones internationally; Alessandro is a quasi-independent enterprise. 

That's interesting to know. Well anyway enough of my purchasing decision dilemma; this is Hybrid's dilemma thread. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back