G-cushion mod
Dec 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nuge

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there!

I recently bought the Grado HF-2 and I really am loving it. I prefer the sound on the bagels(the G-cushion), bought I wish the mids were slightly more forward. Is there a way to modify the cushion to slightly increase the mids and maybe slightly increase the bass too? 

Thanks 

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 7
You could try washing the cushions to make them slightly more soft. That way they'll hopefully sit a little bit closer to your ear and give you what you're looking for.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
You could try washing the cushions to make them slightly more soft. That way they'll hopefully sit a little bit closer to your ear and give you what you're looking for.

Yes.  Great point.  When I had Grados, I read of people hand-washing the cushions with fabric softener.  However, I'd recommend against that tip because the ear cushions will smell spring flowery fresh for at least a month (unless you buy the uncented softener.)

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 7
OK, interesting tip. It's greatly appreciated. I will try that if there are no other possible solutions. Is there a way I could cut the pads to maybe keep the soundstage but slightly increase the bass and mids. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
OK, interesting tip. It's greatly appreciated. I will try that if there are no other possible solutions. Is there a way I could cut the pads to maybe keep the soundstage but slightly increase the bass and mids. 

Instead of cutting them, maybe there's a way to compress and mold them. IMO, the chances of the cut being perfect with symmetry is probably slim, thus making this approach expensive. My guess is that they could be molded, then rewashed and dried to restore its original shape. This is something I thought about when I had the G-cush - but eventually decided that I'd stay with the L-cush

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Have you tried EQ'ing them? If you don't need a lot of change, it would probably be the easiest option. On the pads - washing them is pretty simple (you wouldn't wash them with fabric softener though - just use your normal laundry detergent or shampoo (not both) and warm water), and will loosen them up some, but it probably won't change them substantially. Cutting them would be harder because as talisman explains - getting them perfectly aligned. Using a foam cutter would be your best chance here, but getting each pad cut the same would take some doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back