[FYI] Various IEM's tips pictorial comparison (updated Sept 29th, 2011)
Jun 24, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #167 of 404
Quote:
what sizes are? s/m/l?
couldnt find an answer in ety,shure and west sites

also, does the SQ gets worse/better with the tri-flanges or is it just a batter isolation?

Ety has two size for tri-flange, standard and small ear. Shure and Westone only have one size tri-flange. I never notice any SQ degradation on tri-flange.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #169 of 404

Quote:
(mind i correct you? you wrote up there Wesone in the T100 line)

That's not by mistake. T100 and P series are interchangeable in most cases, so Westone can use both T100 and P series.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #170 of 404
ok then im sorry and thanks again for the update

btw, i got a mail from meelec that they'll be selling the tips for a151 in 2-3 weeks

you mention the SQ doesnt changes with the bi-tri flanges . does is mean that soundstage also doesnt change?

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #171 of 404

Quote:
ok then im sorry and thanks again for the update

btw, i got a mail from meelec that they'll be selling the tips for a151 in 2-3 weeks

you mention the SQ doesnt changes with the bi-tri flanges . does is mean that soundstage also doesnt change?

Were you referring only to tri-flange on A151 or tri-flange in general? I was replying on the assumption of the later. If it is in the case of A151, I only used the stock single flange on mine and that is the only one I need. I won't think using tri-flange will degrade nor improve the sound since nozzle diameter are about the same and I can get good fit on either. Fit is very personal, so I can't say you will get just as good a fit on both as I do.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #172 of 404
i was referring to the tri ones in general , as i wanted to buy from ebay. what i posted about the a151 it's just a reply i got yesterday from meelec , if anyone is interested as i know they still dont sell the ones for the a151.
now i think i should  wait to buy the a151's tips as i also want the bi-flange. i just want to get a better isolation on my pl50 and probably will need (hope not) for the B2.
but maybe i just should get the ones from ebay  ? they sell 2 small + 2 big pairs for about $7-8
im just a bit confused. i havent tried bi nor tri ever

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #173 of 404

Quote:
i was referring to the tri ones in general , as i wanted to buy from ebay. what i posted about the a151 it's just a reply i got yesterday from meelec , if anyone is interested as i know they still dont sell the ones for the a151.
now i think i should  wait to buy the a151's tips as i also want the bi-flange. i just want to get a better isolation on my pl50 and probably will need (hope not) for the B2.
but maybe i just should get the ones from ebay  ? they sell 2 small + 2 big pairs for about $7-8
im just a bit confused. i havent tried bi nor tri ever

Read the first post for the updated tri-flanges section.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #174 of 404
didnt see that update before! just great!
the un-trimmed shure/west can be trimmed to be like the ety?
those triples look totally different from the a151s. while those are 3 separated flanges , the a151 are  just one piece. am i wrong?

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #175 of 404
A151 tri-flanges are very close to Monster tri-flange.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #176 of 404
I might be repeating something that's been already said here but here it goes - a long physics-laden post:
Silicone tips might have a high end resonance, especially with deep insertion. In my experience, this is in 12-16 kHz region, the exact hump and amount depending on the tip material and insertion depth. Narrow nozzle silicone has the most, then typical silicones, then rubber. Most kinds of foam such as Comply or Shure olive don't seem to have any. (Physics: the material actively absorbs sound by not presenting a smooth reflective surface, so does not introduce another acoustic resonance mode.)

IEM nozzle to tip exit ratio matters a lot. In case of foam (or olives), smaller or crumpled tip exit will cause high frequency cut, similar to Comply Tx series. (Physics: the foam acts as a filter, typically ~10 kHz and extreme high end.)
Fixing this cut is as simple as trimming the tip and/or widening the exit - example: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547603/comply-tips-review/75#post_7578187. Similar highs cut may also show with small exit silicones (e.g. Hybrids)

With some IEMs (mostly BA), small tip exit can cause perceived bass boost. (Physics: reducing the amount of air that has to be moved by the driver in case of laminar flow reduces dampening - which increases bass ringing. Some might perceive this fake "fast" bass as higher impact. This won't affect decay.)

Small tip exit might also cause audible bass-related compression of higher frequencies. (Physics: reducing pipe diameter increases Reynold's number which might cause turbulence and bass is higher pressure so causes a temporary further reduction - turbulent flow might be the result.)

Insertion depth can affect ear canal resonance frequency - deeper means shorter length typically means higher resonance frequency and different amount. (Physics: check acoustic resonance on wikipedia. Note that ear canal is a complex surface with many modes, best modelled as a truncated cone.)

Bad seal will cause bass loss and generally quieter sound. (Physics: some part of wavefront radiates out and psychoacoustics cause the bass to sound quieter. Also increases dampening by increasing mass of air to be moved making the bass overly slow.) This can also reduce or remove ear canal resonance as there's no closed end to reflect sound wave. (Physics: far fewer resonant modes in open box) Reducing bass amount can remove bass-related compression.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #177 of 404
Quote:
Don't  use comply tips. Besides being criminally overpriced, they do horrible things to the highs. For tips, get the meelectronics tips from the M11. The M11 tips come in s,m,l, double and triple flange. They only cost $5 too. Or you could try the 10-tip pack form the M11+ for $10. The quality is just as good as the UE super.fi tips, except they're cheaper and have more sizes.

In fact, T and P series don't do anything to the highs (unlike certain silicones) if the foam doesn't cover the nozzle. See the post above and the mod to prevent the foam from covering the exit.
I wouldn't call the super soft extremely comfortable memory foam not worth the price. The main issue with these is durability - it's easy to tear the foam.
Main problem with silicone tips is that they attempt to be one-size-fits-all and that's plain impossible. Foam, if there's the right amount of it and it is soft enough, will adapt to the exact ear canal size and shape much like a custom tip. Just mind that it doesn't cover the nozzle.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #178 of 404
The wavelength of 10 Khz is about 1.35" so the 1/2 wave is almost .7". Means that the 'physics' of audio band absorption doesn't really work with iems because you never get a long or thick enough piece of absorptive material to be significant as the mechanism. I agree about changing resistance from tip diameter and foam compression making it even smaller at times. There is likely more going on because some tips will seemingly smooth out the upper mids while maintaining highs. I have no idea what could cause that in an IEM environment and maybe it's psychoacoustic.

The ear canal resonance that you describe is standing wave reinforcement. It's generally around 7 Khz who's 1/2 wave is just under an inch. The non uniform shape of the canal and ability of the ear drum itself to move will help dampen it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #179 of 404
hello
again i need your advise.
today i got some tri-flanges (which match the um1/2 and etys) in 2 sizes. but they dont fit my ears when using them on the pl50. i tried to trim some of them and the best i could get till now, is the large flanges with the top small flange trimmed. though, it's really hard to put them on the pl50 as the nozzle is to big, but with some effort it gets
but as i cut it myself it turned a little rough and at the top.
any suggestions?
i think i'd get some bi-flanges. but dont now which can match the pl50. from what i checked the ones for the meelec m6 should fit but im not sure
thanks

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #180 of 404
No sure I can offer any advice beside using a sharper scissor and more careful trimming.

Quote:
hello
again i need your advise.
today i got some tri-flanges (which match the um1/2 and etys) in 2 sizes. but they dont fit my ears when using them on the pl50. i tried to trim some of them and the best i could get till now, is the large flanges with the top small flange trimmed. though, it's really hard to put them on the pl50 as the nozzle is to big, but with some effort it gets
but as i cut it myself it turned a little rough and at the top.
any suggestions?
i think i'd get some bi-flanges. but dont now which can match the pl50. from what i checked the ones for the meelec m6 should fit but im not sure
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back