Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Feb 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #187 of 1,216

Atrio M5 / MG7 drivers - comments / mini review:

Packaging:
The recycled packaging everyone's raving about seems just fine. Easy enough to tear open and get to the goods. Lots of little baggies for the various tips and pieces. The little carrying case is pretty nice, slim and with tiny stretch mesh pockets inside for extra tips or whatever. It has a nice little D-ring so I can hook it on my laptop bag. Kind of weirdly shaped like a giant ear, though...

Style:
I got the chocolate finish. I think the brown looks marvelous, very classy. A wood grain finish would be perfection. The apostrophe shape looks a bit funky out of the ear, but it's quite natural looking in-ear. Glad I didn't get blue though :)

Cord:
Reasonably heavy gauge, low microphonics compared to most other earbuds I've tried. I like the right-angle plug though others might not. Not much to say here.

Comfort:
I've tried each of the tip styles (dual flange in all sizes, black and cream foamies in large only - the smalls are without question too small for me). 

The medium dual flanges fit quite well and insert remarkably far into my ear canals, almost uncomfortably so. They seal great, but the large dual flanges seem to seal just as well without poking my brain in the process. I'm sticking with the larges for now. Both medium and large feel slightly irritating and I suspect will soften up with a little wear. I've not done extended listening tests but they seemed comfortable enough for at least an hour at a time.

The foamies both feel great. The cream ones have more sponge/stickyness to them - squeeze before inserting and it takes a few seconds to spread back out. The blacks are the opposite, they're quite springy and don't stay squished long. They both insert easily, though, and feel almost invisible to my ears. I wore the blacks for an hour straight and felt only a bit of irritation. They definitely win for comfort, though I've never been a fan of foamies due to the wax factor. 

Isolation:
Great with all the tips. The dual flanges have a slight advantage here IMO.

Sound Quality:
NOTE: I've only had these for a few hours and have done no burn-in whatsoever, just listened to a variety of tracks and A/B'd to my old 'buds. Don't take this as audiophile gospel. 

TBH, I don't have the most discerning ear. These are my first pair of $100+ IEMs. My old standby has been the TDK EB-9000 'buds that I really quite adore. They may not be worth the original MSRP but they're more than worth the ~$30 going rate. They've got gobs of bass and it's not a muddy mess either. Surprisingly clear and well-balanced for the price, with an admittedly consumerish EQ profile. They may not be reference quality by any means but they've been great for my casual use, and they'll be my point of comparison for the M5s. 

So enter the M5s. To be completely blunt, on my first listen I felt a tad bit underwhelmed. This is in no doubt due to the massive hype I've observed about these IEMs, and my lack of experience/ability in high end audio appreciation. Not surprisingly, I started with bass-heavy tracks that could really make these thump, and they did quite well - but I was surprised that the bass profile was so similar to my old TDKs. In fact, the TDKs had an even more prominent and intense midbass, I would say. Sub-bass is certainly more extensive on the M5s, but overall it was not as dramatic an improvement in that arena as I'd been looking forward to. Of course quality is a huge factor, and the bass quality is outstanding. It reaches low and is still nuanced in that range - very low-end vibrations are easily distinguished and not just a big muddy mess. In general, I've preferred circum/supra-aural headphones to IEMs because the bass and soundstage just seems more natural to me. One reason I got the M5s was because of one reviewer's comments that they were hands-down the most like supra-aural headphones of any IEMs out there, in terms of bass response anyway. I'm just not getting that, personally. 

Moving up the spectrum: I would describe the mids as mildly recessed when judged by a flat EQ target, but are much more recessed than my consumerish TDKs (which is understandable). Not a complaint by any means, just a fact. 

Treble is quite forward for my tastes, though again I'm coming from the consumer-oriented TDKs. Admittedly, I'm not a treble freak; I get fatigued easily and these are a tad sharp for my tastes. I know burn-in should soften that up a bit though. The foamies also seem to soften these up and mitigate the fatiguing sharpness. I've noticed a bit of sibilance present on certain tracks, though it's not been an issue for me in general. 

Clarity is remarkable, and I'm already picking up some nuances I've missed with my TDKs. In fairness, I also detected some subtleties in certain tracks that I heard more clearly on the TDKs - likely because of the more prominent midrange presence. But on the whole, listening to the M5s is like doing a before/after comparison of an image in Photoshop when applying an Unsharp Mask filter. The whole stereo image is just more clear and defined. Hard to put into words I guess, but that's just the image I get.

I would describe the M5s as accurate, neutral, uncolored, almost analytical headphones. That isn't a bad thing, and be clear that my opinion is biased because of my history with consumerish 'buds, which are certainly more "colored" (but, dare I say, musical). I'm sure many more experienced and discerning listeners will have a more unbiased opinion about them, but that is how I hear it. The M5s are also a bit fatiguing, to my ears at least. A big part of that is probably the treble push, which as I mentioned I'm not fond of, but we'll see if they smooth out in time.

Conclusion:
This review is coming out more negative than I intended -- I don't dislike them at all, and they are truly great IEMs. I think it's more of an issue of expectations and experience. I have no reference point in the high-end arena with which to compare them. 

Keep in mind I've not given these a real long-term listening test, nor any kind of burn-in. I'm sure things will only improve in hear. I have no doubt after a couple weeks I could go back and listen to my TDKs and be horrified at their sound :D

Tune in next time for my review of the BlueLink bluetooth receiver -- I promise to not be such a noob in that one, because unlike high-end IEMs, I am quite the discerning expert when it comes to computer gadgets! :D

Jesse

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #188 of 1,216
If you want powerful and controlled bass, with everything else performing as it should, too, then you really need an amplification stage with good design and good current delivery. I don't mean you necessarily need a seperate amp, but your player needs a good amp stage. For example, I've recently found my Cowon J3 to be shockingly inadequate with balanced armature customs. To control the Atrio's drivers at high diaphragm excursions (sub bass) will require that the amp stage really grasp control of the coil/diaphragm, not just half-heartedly send it a signal.

I'm not implying that your impressions are inaccurate (and thankyou for posting honest impressions); I'm just saying that I've recently experienced very underwhelming results with expensive custom IEMs, and this improved quite significantly when I changed from the J3 to other sources.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #189 of 1,216
Sprocket87:

If I am not mistaken, you mentioned that you got the combo with the Bluelink bluetooth device.  Would definitely like to hear your impressions on that since I just placed my order for the combo a few minutes ago.

Also...sounds like they honored your request to not send the blue iems?  Hope they do the same for me!

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #190 of 1,216
Interesting, and a great read - thanks sprocket87!

I'm on the verge of getting/buying some - problem I have is that if I do get them - and don't like them, what to do with them...
I guess the offer price of $100 won't last forever - so might as well jump on the band wagon?

I feel black colour would be the best, but tempted to see chocolate, as it reminds me of varnished wood.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #191 of 1,216

Quote:
No problem - thanks anyway

if you do want them pm me i have no problems ordering them for you.  i am not surewhat kind of shipping that you are looking for but the last time that i shipped to france i think it ran about 16 dollars for regular usps.  heck i just purchased mine last week and if you would like to purchase a slightly used pair maybe 5 hours on them pm me, they are black and i will ship them to you for less than what we can buy them new in the states for.  i think i may pickup a brown pair.  either way let me know.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #192 of 1,216

Quote:
if you do want them pm me i have no problems ordering them for you.  i am not surewhat kind of shipping that you are looking for but the last time that i shipped to france i think it ran about 16 dollars for regular usps.  heck i just purchased mine last week and if you would like to purchase a slightly used pair maybe 5 hours on them pm me, they are black and i will ship them to you for less than what we can buy them new in the states for.  i think i may pickup a brown pair.  either way let me know.

we shall discuss this via PM :D!

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #193 of 1,216
I just bought these from Poimandres, for $95 incl shipping to France :)

Many thanks :)

I have to ask the community a question:
I realised, there are two cases for the atrios.

One being:
Like these ones:
http://www.geardiary.com/2011/04/03/review-future-sonics-atrio-universal-fit-professional-earphones/

And having the special edition logo on them + a yellow "M5" colour, rather than the stock green "m5", like here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/554068/review-future-sonics-atrio-m5-with-mg7-transducer

Thus:
Why is one special edition, the other not lol?

Special edition has:
Orange M5 + bigger case

Normal eidtion:
Green M5 + smaller (possibly harder?), rectangular case

I'm quite interested

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #194 of 1,216
I would suggest a song that has very very subtle sub-bass to test. If a song is powerful and the bass can be heard through computer speakers, or makes a lot of volume, it probably isn't real sub-bass, but just bass. Listen to Mainstage by Marcus Schultz, a song whose intro isn't audible on some earphones, but for earphones with response to low low bass, you can hear it and it will actually tickle the eardrum. A lot of 'sub bass' isn't sub at all. 

Be wary.

Quote:
So does anyone have any specific music/song that they feel just sounds amazing with these Headphones? I would love to just listen to new music. When I come across something I will definately share.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #195 of 1,216
Quote:
I would suggest a song that has very very subtle sub-bass to test. If a song is powerful and the bass can be heard through computer speakers, or makes a lot of volume, it probably isn't real sub-bass, but just bass. Listen to Mainstage by Marcus Schultz, a song whose intro isn't audible on some earphones, but for earphones with response to low low bass, you can hear it and it will actually tickle the eardrum. A lot of 'sub bass' isn't sub at all. 

Be wary.

*nod*

Personally, I like this as a "subtle bass" test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back