++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #25,861 of 29,490
I actually meant the E07K in that previous post and not the E09K.

I have not heard the A700X or A900X, so I have no idea how it compares. I haven't listened to the UE 6000 extensively enough at this point to recommend it. My initial feeling from the exposure I have had with it is it might be what you're looking for and you should demo them at a local store because I'm interested hearing your thoughts on them. I can't directly compare them to the DT770 250ohm either because I own the 80ohm version and have heard the 32ohm version. They were both very very close and I've read there isn't much of a difference with the 250ohm version.

What I can show you is the frequency response of the DT770 vs the frequency response of the UE 6000 just so you have some objective data in front of you.

I dont now too much about that, but it looks like the dt770's should have a lot more bass, really wish i could compre them side by side in person

And i carry an ipad around, i can find a way to keep an e6 with it.

Oh and i did do the bass mod. It did give me a boost, but i used all 3 holes, and now it's powerful but not nearly as rich and immersing as it was

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #25,862 of 29,490
A big note about the UE6000's, this from logitech's web site:

You can't remove the ear pads on the UE 6000. Doing so can affect the sound quality of your headphones. Replacement ear pads are not available.

Really?  That seems nuts and downright wasteful.  I hate the idea of disposable stuff that doesn't need to be disposable, and at $200, that's just not right.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #25,863 of 29,490
Yeah, now i really want to avoid them. The way i will be using them, even with their little pouch, and my 428's havent had an issue yet, something is bound to happen knowing me. If the sound is better if i can try them, then i might get them, but right now I'm pretty set on the DT770's, but i still wish i could get a clear comparison between the 3 versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #25,864 of 29,490
A big note about the UE6000's, this from logitech's web site:

Really?  That seems nuts and downright wasteful.  I hate the idea of disposable stuff that doesn't need to be disposable, and at $200, that's just not right.  

That shouldn't be a reason to avoid them at all. Many people who are far most established in this community rate these things very high for a reason. It's best to explore that reason.

Yeah, now i really want to avoid them. The way i will be using them, even with their little pouch, and my 428's havent had an issue yet, something is bound to happen knowing me. If the sound is better if i can try them, then i might get them, but right now I'm pretty set on the DT770's, but i still wish i could get a clear comparison between the 3 versions

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #25,865 of 29,490
The more i think about it, the less I am concerned about a thumping bass compared to a well rounded profile. Leaning more towards the ATH-A900X or 700+E6/L9. Also just found the custom one pro by Beyerdynamics, adjustable sound with a slider to go from open to closed, only problem is pleather, and velour pads cost 30 to 40, but with the size i think pleather should be ok.

If you hadnt picked up on it yet, i am very indecisive and suck with decisions, especially regarding this much money. I just want something with a great value

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #25,866 of 29,490

Quote:
I've used the DT-770/80 for many years as my primary headphone.  It does not leak sound into the room even at the loudest levels that I use;  it has plenty of bass (possibly too much for me) but a good match for techno/trance/electro/pop.  Extremely comfortable: I can wear them all day.  I used them for daily voice chat business meetings with no problems.  They sound better when amped... and you have an amp.  

I haven't heard other headphones in this price range, so I can't advise you on that.  It sounds like the DT-770 is a close match to your requirements.

PS: you're English is fine.  I would have assumed you were a native speaker.

Thanks for your advice !

In fact a LOT of people told me to go for the DT-770, but i'm a little afraid of the "maybe too much bass" everyone speaks about. Any hints ?

What do you think of the HD25-1 II, or even DT-880 ?

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #25,867 of 29,490
Quote:
That shouldn't be a reason to avoid them at all. Many people who are far most established in this community rate these things very high for a reason. It's best to explore that reason.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

It certainly is "a" reason to avoid them.  I don't get the word "shouldn't" here.   It doesn't mean it must be a deal breaker.  There are many things to consider.  The cleanliness and raw capability of the cans seems impressive by all accounts.  QC/balance issues, color (if you can even call it color at that point), and this are negatives though. Everyone has to weigh all the considerations.  I was just trying to provide a piece of information that might weigh into those considerations.  For me it does.  If it was the only thing, it might not be a deal breaker by itself. From an economic perspective for instance, if you know you're going to be rough on them, then you can as well consider something that costs much more, and then there are more options.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #25,868 of 29,490
good day ladies and gents. I own a pair of Shure SE535 IEMs. I have to say they perform decently well with respect to their size and portability, but I am underwhelmed by their bass performance, level of detail and overall sound quality. 

I want to purchase a full sized headphone which can outperform my IEMs by a clear margin so I can retire my IEMs to playing music for me when Im working out. 
I have a limited budget of around $1500 for DAC/AMP/headphone but I don't know how I should allocate the budget to get the best results. 

I do not mind purchasing pre owned amp and dac from reputable members of this forum. I listen to classical music a lot but I also listen to Jazz. 
my source will be my computer so I will also listen to movie scores, and other computer sounds (gaming, etc)

I am tempted to purchase a hifiman HE-500 but I don't know if I will have enough money for amp/dac.

Please let me know

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #25,869 of 29,490
Hi everybody,

I have hopefully a very simple question. I have a Digi 002 Rack Converter, which has a headphone amplifier which has a load of 150Ohms.

I have been looking for a good pair of closed head phones (for recording and mixing music) and have settled on the DT 770's mainly out of budget. 

A) I'm not sure whether to go with the 80Ohm or 250Ohm 770's. How far off the output load does the headphone impedance have to be before it distorts or damping happens easily? Which one would be better for a load of 150Ohms?

B) As I am also a guitarist so the mid's are relatively important as well, and thus am considering the 880's. How big is the difference between the DT 880 250Ohm and the DT 770 250Ohm? Also, is the spill from the 'semi closed' 880's dramatically more than the 770's? 

I'm sorry if the answers to these questions have already been answered in this thread somewhere, I am new to quality headphones and to head-fi and havent had much luck in-regards to the Digi 002. Thought it might be easier getting a direct response! 

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #25,870 of 29,490
Quote:
good day ladies and gents. I own a pair of Shure SE535 IEMs. I have to say they perform decently well with respect to their size and portability, but I am underwhelmed by their bass performance, level of detail and overall sound quality. 

I want to purchase a full sized headphone which can outperform my IEMs by a clear margin so I can retire my IEMs to playing music for me when Im working out. 
I have a limited budget of around $1500 for DAC/AMP/headphone but I don't know how I should allocate the budget to get the best results. 

I do not mind purchasing pre owned amp and dac from reputable members of this forum. I listen to classical music a lot but I also listen to Jazz. 
my source will be my computer so I will also listen to movie scores, and other computer sounds (gaming, etc)

I am tempted to purchase a hifiman HE-500 but I don't know if I will have enough money for amp/dac.

Please let me know

I think generally speaking most full sized headphones will outperform IEMs. I have the UE-10 IEM and Beyer DT1350 and the DT1350 sounds better to me, even though they cost 4x less than the UE-10. I think spending the majority of your budget on a good headphone is a good idea. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #25,871 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:
I've used the DT-770/80 for many years as my primary headphone.  It does not leak sound into the room even at the loudest levels that I use;  it has plenty of bass (possibly too much for me) but a good match for techno/trance/electro/pop.  Extremely comfortable: I can wear them all day.  I used them for daily voice chat business meetings with no problems.  They sound better when amped... and you have an amp.  

I haven't heard other headphones in this price range, so I can't advise you on that.  It sounds like the DT-770 is a close match to your requirements.

PS: you're English is fine.  I would have assumed you were a native speaker.

Thanks for your advice !

In fact a LOT of people told me to go for the DT-770, but i'm a little afraid of the "maybe too much bass" everyone speaks about. Any hints ?

What do you think of the HD25-1 II, or even DT-880 ?

The Senn and Beyers are excellent neutral-ish cans that are also a top pick for all-arrounders.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #25,872 of 29,490
Quote:

Please let me know

You should have plenty to spare--about $800 or maybe more if you can take advantage of this $629 deal on the HE 500 that is about to expire:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/dealoftheday.asp 

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #25,873 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody,

I have hopefully a very simple question. I have a Digi 002 Rack Converter, which has a headphone amplifier which has a load of 150Ohms.

I have been looking for a good pair of closed head phones (for recording and mixing music) and have settled on the DT 770's mainly out of budget. 

A) I'm not sure whether to go with the 80Ohm or 250Ohm 770's. How far off the output load does the headphone impedance have to be before it distorts or damping happens easily? Which one would be better for a load of 150Ohms?

B) As I am also a guitarist so the mid's are relatively important as well, and thus am considering the 880's. How big is the difference between the DT 880 250Ohm and the DT 770 250Ohm? Also, is the spill from the 'semi closed' 880's dramatically more than the 770's? 

I'm sorry if the answers to these questions have already been answered in this thread somewhere, I am new to quality headphones and to head-fi and havent had much luck in-regards to the Digi 002. Thought it might be easier getting a direct response! 

Cheers!

That appears to be a question better placed in the Sound Science or in one of the headphone amp sections of the forum.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #25,875 of 29,490

Quote:
The Senn and Beyers are excellent neutral-ish cans that are also a top pick for all-arrounders.

Thanks for the reply ! So if i don't get more hints for others models, i will go for either DT-770 80ohms (i heard the 250 ohms version could work with the E6 amp but not at its best) or the HD 25-1 II.

Maybe one of them is better in terms of weights and size (the Senn) ? I will check some reviews while waiting for an answer =).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back