++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #13,711 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for headphones that will be used for gaming, music, and movies.  Gaming isn't a high priority but I'd prefer open headphones for sound stage as I do play fps once in awhile. I listen to everything from hip hop, electronic, classical, jazz.  I really enjoy listening to female vocals.  Bass is important to me also, especially with movies.
I searched around for reviews and could not find a headphone that would have good sound stage, bass, and good mids (for vocals),  I was thinking the head phone that almost met my criteria were the DT990s.  Ultrasone 2400 was another option but I read that the mids were also recessed just like the DT990s.  Any other suggestions for open back headphones?
My budget is about $250 and I will buy an amp if I have to.  I will definitely buy a sound card for Dolby headphone though.  

Sennheiser HD558.
Asus Xonar DG.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #13,712 of 29,490
I'll repost my criteria from a thread I made before seeing this one.  I'll let the other thread die so as not to take up space.  Trying to upgrade from Sennheiser HD 280 Pros.

I will be using the headphones for gaming(and will likely be pursuing a virtual surround solution, which I've been reading about on Nameless's thread), but also as my primary source of music listening(from FLAC rips of my CDs played through Foobar on my PC).  My music tastes are fairly diverse, but some artists that commonly see play are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, and OCRemix(video game music remixes).  

Additionally, I often use my headphones while my wife and daughter are asleep in the adjoining room.  I have never used open headphones before, and don't know how much of an issue using that style would be, so some advice in that area would be appreciated.  

Price-wise, I am looking at something under $300, but am not adverse to spending extra for an amp if needed(I tried using a FiiO E11 with my HD 280s but didn't see much difference, though that could be because I was using an mp3 on my Motorola Xoom as the source).

Finally, I will likely be using these for hours at a time, so comfort is definitely a consideration.  

In the other thread, I've gotten recommendations for Shure models SRH840 and SRH940 as well as the Beyerdynamic DT880.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #13,713 of 29,490
I've basically narrowed down my search and am looking for some advice between the SRH840s and M50s.
I primarily listen to Trance, Electronic, Female Vocals and Metal, on 320kb/v0 or FLAC quality files.
I'd be driving these primarily either through a computer (laptop) or my Cowon J3. Would an amp be required for either? (e7/e10 or higher?)

Any specific experience with both, or alternative suggestions? I'm primarily looking for closed headphones due to living arrangements and the like.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #13,714 of 29,490

Quote:
I'll repost my criteria from a thread I made before seeing this one.  I'll let the other thread die so as not to take up space.  Trying to upgrade from Sennheiser HD 280 Pros.

I will be using the headphones for gaming(and will likely be pursuing a virtual surround solution, which I've been reading about on Nameless's thread), but also as my primary source of music listening(from FLAC rips of my CDs played through Foobar on my PC).  My music tastes are fairly diverse, but some artists that commonly see play are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, and OCRemix(video game music remixes).  

Additionally, I often use my headphones while my wife and daughter are asleep in the adjoining room.  I have never used open headphones before, and don't know how much of an issue using that style would be, so some advice in that area would be appreciated.  

Price-wise, I am looking at something under $300, but am not adverse to spending extra for an amp if needed(I tried using a FiiO E11 with my HD 280s but didn't see much difference, though that could be because I was using an mp3 on my Motorola Xoom as the source).

Finally, I will likely be using these for hours at a time, so comfort is definitely a consideration.  

In the other thread, I've gotten recommendations for Shure models SRH840 and SRH940 as well as the Beyerdynamic DT880.

The AKG Q 701 (open) are an excellent choice unless you're a basshead or your family in the next room is sensitive to the slightest noise.

If you like a bright sound signature, the Ultrasone Pro 750 is an excellent closed can with better ear pads than the HiFi 780 I have.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #13,715 of 29,490

Quote:

Everyone will hear your headphones if you have open headphones...If you use the headphones when other people are asleep, forget about it. You need closed. IMO, I don't find Shure headphones that comfortable. They sound great though. So those are out of the question. You can get the Ultrasone Pro 750. Those are awesome (I have the Ultrasone HFI 2400.) Beyerdynamic DT880 are also amazing, but they are semi-open, so those are out. I recommend Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 too. Audio Technica ATH-M50 is also a great headphone. Send me a message if you need more help :D

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #13,716 of 29,490

Quote:

Looking for headphones that will be used for gaming, music, and movies.  Gaming isn't a high priority but I'd prefer open headphones for sound stage as I do play fps once in awhile. I listen to everything from hip hop, electronic, classical, jazz.  I really enjoy listening to female vocals.  Bass is important to me also, especially with movies.

I searched around for reviews and could not find a headphone that would have good soundstage, bass, and good mids (for vocals),  I was thinking the head phone that almost met my criteria were the DT990s.  Ultrasone 2400 was another option but I read that the mids were also recessed just like the DT990s.  Any other suggestions for open back headphones?

My budget is about $250 and I will buy an amp if I have to.  I will definitely buy a soundcard for dolby headphone though.  

That poses a real dilemma.  In that price range I can't think of an open can that will give you the bass that you want--with all the other things on your list.  The Senn HD 558 is an excellent can, but I think you'll be unhappy with its bottom end.  Maybe the Beyer DT 880 Pro would work for you--but it's outside our budget by at least $25.

Another option would be to go with the closed Ultrasone Pro 750, which has S-Logic Surround (which some like and some don't).

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #13,717 of 29,490
Hi, have an HD598 that I am borrowing and really love them but want a headphone with more punch to the bass when I make my purchase. I also think the Quincy Q701's look amazing and I am hoping that they offer a similar experience with just a little more bass. They seem to get similar descriptions from various places. 

Would I like the Quincy headphones and are they in pretty much the same class?

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #13,719 of 29,490
Well I don't have the HD598, it is someone elses. Would I get a similar result from Q701 + Fiio e17? The Beyerdynamics are probably nice but I really have something against their style. I really want to go for a Q701 but if it isn't as good as the HD598 or is a very different sound than I will probably stick to your suggestion of HD598 + amp.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #13,720 of 29,490

Quote:
I've basically narrowed down my search and am looking for some advice between the SRH840s and M50s.
I primarily listen to Trance, Electronic, Female Vocals and Metal, on 320kb/v0 or FLAC quality files.
I'd be driving these primarily either through a computer (laptop) or my Cowon J3. Would an amp be required for either? (e7/e10 or higher?)

Any specific experience with both, or alternative suggestions? I'm primarily looking for closed headphones due to living arrangements and the like.

Thanks.

M50S sounds fantastic, just get those.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #13,721 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, have an HD598 that I am borrowing and really love them but want a headphone with more punch to the bass when I make my purchase. I also think the Quincy Q701's look amazing and I am hoping that they offer a similar experience with just a little more bass. They seem to get similar descriptions from various places. 

Would I like the Quincy headphones and are they in pretty much the same class?

They are very different without being polar opposites.  They both offer great sound stages.  The HD 598 wraps you in full dimension slightly veiled warmness while the the Q 701 lets you hear everything with its great clarity, sprinkled with a just a bit of warmth to keep it closer to the musical rather than to the analytical.

Which one is better?  Which one would you like above the other?  Want to start a school yard fight?!

I'd go with the Q 701, but many reasonable Head-Fi'ers would grab the 598 first.

It's just good to have both from which to choose on any particular day for any particular song or purpose.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #13,722 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks.

The M50s has the "V" shaped EQ.  The SRH is flatter with a bit of mid bass hump.  If big bass is main thing--go the the AT.  Female vocals and vocals in general will fare better with the Shure.  I like the more balanced EQ of the Shure and would go with it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #13,723 of 29,490
Hello everyone

Just registered to ask for a recommendation

Budget: $150
Genre: Rock, New Age, Jpop/Anime
Sound signature: I like bass.  Probably along the line of moderate/heavy
Usage: Mostly gaming.  I'd like a well-balanced headset that won't crap out on music, though.
Open/Closed: I heard that open headphones have a larger soundstage.  Noise isn't really a problem, since I live alone.
Previous Cans: Plantronics GameCom 377 (feel free to laugh)

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #13,724 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone

Usage: Mostly gaming.  I'd like a well-balanced headset that won't crap out on music, though.
Open/Closed: I heard that open headphones have a larger soundstage.  Noise isn't really a problem, since I live alone.

Open back headphones tend to have less bass. I'm going to guess people will suggest audio technica m50 or something along the lines since you want bass. Wait for their responses as I only have personal experience with 1 headphone in this price range and I don't think it will be a great fit for you.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #13,725 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone

Vmoda crossfade BASSSSSSSSS! ohh and its semi open so the soundstage is pretty wide...... but they are muddy for rock...... ES7? less bassy but great for pop and rock with a smaller soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back