++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #13,741 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new. 

I've been recording bass guitar and listening to music with a pair of 5 dollar headphones for the last 6 years. It's time for an upgrade. The problem is, there is SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM!

I use a Lexicon Alpha USB interface soundcard ( http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=7#specs )both for recording and for playback. The headphones will be used for recording and mixing bass guitar, and of course, listening to music.

I'm lost with all the opinions and reviews, halp please. :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #13,742 of 29,490
Hi, looking to upgrade with a $350-400 budget.

I'm looking for fullsized circumaural cans for home use, open or closed doesn't matter.
I listen to classical, jazz, rock, hip-hop, and J pop/rock with a lot of vocals. The point that I need clarification on is what sound signature I need for these genres. What I think I should get are cans with neutral to slightly emphasized bass with with smooth, detailed mids and highs. If anyone thinks another sound works better feel free to suggest it.

Dsnuts suggested the ATH-A900X for my needs, but since I can afford to spend more I wanted to see if there are other cans in my price range that could be suitable. Other cans I'm considering are the AKG K550, Beyer T70, and HE-300/400 (what's the difference?). Which one would be best, or are there any other options I haven't thought of?

And lastly, I only have an ibasso D4. Would it be able to drive any of the suggested cans adequately? If not, would it be a better idea to sell the D4 and buy a cheaper pair of headphones and an upgraded amp+dac combo?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #13,743 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm looking for fullsized circumaural cans for home use, open or closed doesn't matter.
I listen to classical, jazz, rock, hip-hop, and J pop/rock with a lot of vocals. The point that I need clarification on is what sound signature I need for these genres. What I think I should get are cans with neutral to slightly emphasized bass with with smooth, detailed mids and highs. If anyone thinks another sound works better feel free to suggest it.

Dsnuts suggested the ATH-A900X for my needs, but since I can afford to spend more I wanted to see if there are other cans in my price range that could be suitable. Other cans I'm considering are the AKG K550, Beyer T70, and HE-300/400 (what's the difference?). Which one would be best, or are there any other options I haven't thought of?

And lastly, I only have an ibasso D4. Would it be able to drive any of the suggested cans adequately? If not, would it be a better idea to sell the D4 and buy a cheaper pair of headphones and an upgraded amp+dac combo?

The Denon AH-D5000 Reference Headphones--Open Box (Like New)--currently at Electronics Expo for $399.77 before any coupon code discount and shipping charges.  Link:

http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ah-d5000-reference-headphones-ob

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #13,744 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm new. 

I've been recording bass guitar and listening to music with a pair of 5 dollar headphones for the last 6 years. It's time for an upgrade. The problem is, there is SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM!

I use a Lexicon Alpha USB interface soundcard ( http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=7#specs )both for recording and for playback. The headphones will be used for recording and mixing bass guitar, and of course, listening to music.

How much are you spending? If its for recording I imagine it needs to be closed back, right? And I imagine if you're recording, you probably want something more neutral.

Quote:

I know I recommend this too much but I'd consider the HD600 and Fiio E9 amp. You just can't go wrong for $400. If you wanted to saved some money, I'd consider the HD598, which would probably be amped just fine for those genres. The HD598 is a little more top ten friendly, the HD600 is for the classical/jazz station. Though honestly every time I listen to any rock, new age, folk or alternative with the HD600, I'm always impressed.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #13,745 of 29,490
Need suggestions for some new headphones price range: $150-$300. (Anything under $250 on Amazon I guess)

Music preferences are mostly electronic, dance, rock, some female vocals, hip-hop, etc.
I will be running them out of a FiiO E11, so anything under 300 ohms should be fine.
Open Or Closed, doesn't matter.
Looking for the "fun" sounding V shape sound sig, but without the mids being recessed too much.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 990 Pros, will be returning the 990s because IMO they're nowhere near as good as the 770s. I've also tried the Shure SRH840 and I thought it sounded nice, but couldn't stand the heavy uncomfortable design. I will be comparing the new set to the 770s to decide which one to keep or to just keep both.

Also looking for the open "airy" sound, not sure how to describe but just that the higher notes have an open "ring" to it. Strong bass is always appreciated.

Would anyone have some suggestions? Please no Sennheisers, I've heard a few and hated them all. Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #13,746 of 29,490
Long time lurker, first time poster and all that jazz, but I'm looking for a pair of home production headphones for making electronica (mostly Dubstep and Drum and Bass) to possibly also use as a portable pair. They'd be driven through my Macbook Pro (15") anyway (no amps), but since they're a production pair I'd like a more neutral, detailed sound with slightly elevated bass and sub bass in particular, as I already have a pair of KRK KNS 8400s for studio (the reason I'm looking for a new set is because i find them lacking in sub bass when i just give the same thing a listen through my Pioneer HDJ 500s).

The budget would be £150 and, like i said before, detailed sound with slightly elevated bass; particularly sub bass. I'd also prefer closed cans so I can use them later at night and of course detachable cables and folding would be nice, but i can do without them being portable cans as i have Pioneer HDJ 500s and Fanny Wang 1001s (I know Fanny Wang isn't very good, but it's so funny to see people think they're "Beats", plus they fold and have a nice sound for just relaxing to music IMO). I'll probably use them with almost every kind of music but mostly Dubstep, Drum and Bass, House, many kinds of Metal and Rock and probably Rap/Hip Hop too.

Any help would be much appreciated. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #13,747 of 29,490

Quote:
Long time lurker, first time poster and all that jazz, but I'm looking for a pair of home production headphones for making electronica (mostly Dubstep and Drum and Bass) to possibly also use as a portable pair. They'd be driven through my Macbook Pro (15") anyway (no amps), but since they're a production pair I'd like a more neutral, detailed sound with slightly elevated bass and sub bass in particular, as I already have a pair of KRK KNS 8400s for studio (the reason I'm looking for a new set is because i find them lacking in sub bass when i just give the same thing a listen through my Pioneer HDJ 500s).

The budget would be £150 and, like i said before, detailed sound with slightly elevated bass; particularly sub bass. I'd also prefer closed cans so I can use them later at night and of course detachable cables and folding would be nice, but i can do without them being portable cans as i have Pioneer HDJ 500s and Fanny Wang 1001s (I know Fanny Wang isn't very good, but it's so funny to see people think they're "Beats", plus they fold and have a nice sound for just relaxing to music IMO). I'll probably use them with almost every kind of music but mostly Dubstep, Drum and Bass, House, many kinds of Metal and Rock and probably Rap/Hip Hop too.

Any help would be much appreciated. 
wink_face.gif

I had the Shure SRH 840 for a while, and they were a lot more neutral than most other 'phones I've tried. Electronic and mainstream music sounded great on them, and I only returned them because they're way too big and heavy.

If you're fine with a heavy pair of headphones that clamp hard but is built like a tank, then try out the Shures.. they're also 44 ohms, and have a detatchable cable and no need for amp

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #13,748 of 29,490
hi, I posted earlier this original question:

Quote:
Unfortunately there's only a limited selection to audition locally, but then I don't mind buying a used can from a reputable member though.
I heard some of the mid-range sony sets, like DJ700 and all were too straining to me.
I listen to classical music (1/3 to piano music as I'm a pianist), prog/classical/post/art - rock  (lots of natural ambient noises and reverb).
I read good reviews about the HE5 (I can have one with over 1000 hours of use for $350) and D7000.
The budget is $1300

and I was recommended this:

Quote:
The Ultrasone Pro2900 or Sony SA5000+D100+ Walhalla, AKG K702+LYR+Brifrost are recommended.

Do you recommend to use the Sony/Ultrasone with the D100 or the Walhalla as an amp?
How about a set up of HD650 (which is ranked high here) and the Objective 2 amp?

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #13,749 of 29,490
I posted here some months ago, and ended up on the XB-500. I didn't end up actually buying any headset however. 
Now i've read up a bit more, and the xb-500 doesn't seem like a good choice for me. Mainly because I don't want to go around with tractor wheels on my ears.

I mostly listen to dusbtep, electronic and some rock. Regarding the bass I prefer hard-hitting bass, but it doesn't really matter. The headphones will be used for both home with my computer and some on-the-go with my iPod/Xperia S. If any of these two needs an amp it isn't really a problem, I'll just buy a fiio then. 

I'm upgrading from PortaPro's and gaming headsets, so this will sort of be my entry level cans. On my current budget it has come down to Koss DJ100 vs AKG K518 DJ. Both of these seems to have their advantages, though the DJ 100 seeming a bit more comfortable. Comfort is kind of a big deal for me, but i'd rather sacrifice comfort a bit to get better sound. I use glasses.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about these two, but I can't find any reason to choose one over the other. They both cost almost exactly the same here. Please help me choose, or maybe find another headset at the same price range; ~100$

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #13,750 of 29,490
Hello!  Casual listener here that's been reading around for a while now.  

Budget: <$200

Type of headphone desired: Closed cans (possibly IEM's, but most likely not)

Options so far: m50's mk2's hfi780's (MDR-V6's if they're that great for the price) and any other fun sounding cans with a good bass.

Music genres/artist: Mainly rap + alternative

Notes: Just looking for a general recommendation with reasoning behind it.  Any help would be very much appreciated! 

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #13,751 of 29,490
Monster Turbine (Gold or Copper): In ears, has the flash that most people who listen to hip-hop/rap want, and sounds great, strong bass
Your avatar pic: Shure Srh440 or 880s, built like a tank, strong bass, almost impossible to break, but too bulky to wear out

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #13,752 of 29,490

Hi, I'm new. 

Quote:
How much are you spending? If its for recording I imagine it needs to be closed back, right? And I imagine if you're recording, you probably want something more neutral.

I guess anywhere under $350. I'm not sure if I need closed back, I record at home but if there's any special things I have to know about open/closed headphones, let me know. And yeah, I need something more neutral (I can just use EQ to get a different sound, right?).

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #13,755 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello!  Casual listener here that's been reading around for a while now.  

Budget: <$200

Type of headphone desired: Closed cans (possibly IEM's, but most likely not)

Options so far: m50's mk2's hfi780's (MDR-V6's if they're that great for the price) and any other fun sounding cans with a good bass.

Music genres/artist: Mainly rap + alternative

Notes: Just looking for a general recommendation with reasoning behind it.  Any help would be very much appreciated! 

I'd go with the M50s or 780s. Go for M50s if you like bass, and 780s if you like a better overall balance. The Mk2s have more bass than the two by a long shot, but sacrifice mids and highs quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back