++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 18, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #6,331 of 29,490

Quote:
man, it's all about the kind of music you listen to. Me, i listen to tons of dubstep, so cans with recessed mids and a big down low sound with nice treble are ideal. There is no perfectly neutral headphone, and even if their was it would probably be no fun. Find the cans that best suite your musical needs and buy them.

im actually having a tough time picking out my next set of cans. i listen to alot of indie/alternative. bands like cake, someone still loves you boris yeltsin, islands, the unicorns, coconut records, the postal service, death cab, etc. and some traditional folk/irish music.
but i also listen to a fair amount of metal. like as blood runs black, four year strong, a day to remember, and set your goals. and some more indie/pop type bands like passion pit and discovery.

so i need more of a do everything headphone. my source is a macbook pro with itunes and bitperfect playing apple lossless into a dac. and my current amp is a millets starving student. also im in the process of building a soha II so i should be able to drive most headphones.

im stuck between 
sennheiser hd600 or hd650
beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm
denon d2000

i want a fun sounding can that has great detail, a good amount of bass that doesnt take away from warm mids, and obviously good highs.
right now i have a pair of hd555's. im not dead set on any of the headphones listed above, but i dont want to go to far over 300$.
what should i get?

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #6,332 of 29,490
honestly bro i don't listen to that music so i can't make any suggestions, you should wait on Armaegis to get back or msg him he's online right now. All i can tell you is you should probably steer clear of those beyers or try and find a lower ohm version because they will be really hard to drive. Also i have the d2000 and they produce a very down low sound so i doubt you'll be into that.

Quote:
im actually having a tough time picking out my next set of cans. i listen to alot of indie/alternative. bands like cake, someone still loves you boris yeltsin, islands, the unicorns, coconut records, the postal service, death cab, etc. and some traditional folk/irish music.
but i also listen to a fair amount of metal. like as blood runs black, four year strong, a day to remember, and set your goals. and some more indie/pop type bands like passion pit and discovery.

so i need more of a do everything headphone. my source is a macbook pro with itunes and bitperfect playing apple lossless into a dac. and my current amp is a millets starving student. also im in the process of building a soha II so i should be able to drive most headphones.

im stuck between 
denon d2000

i want a fun sounding can that has great detail, a good amount of bass that doesnt take away from warm mids, and obviously good highs.
right now i have a pair of hd555's. im not dead set on any of the headphones listed above, but i dont want to go to far over 300$.
what should i get?

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #6,333 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-fi!

I have never owned a full-sized headphones so I am looking for some advice. I currently own Ety MC5, which I really like how it sounds although I sometimes find treble to be slightly lacking.

Things I'd like in headphones:
-Not bass emphasized (neutral if possible)
-Source is my laptop, which I think just has onboard soundcard.
-I listen to alot of classical music, some alternative (Modest Mouse, RHCP), some instrumental (Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut), and a little bit of pop/hip-hop I listen through Pandora.
-Closed or open, it doesnt really matter because I will be mostly listening in my room.
-Although I dont have money to buy an amp atm, I will be able to afford one around $100-150 range in few weeks if it is needed.
-Budget is about $250.

Here are some cans I have been thinking about:
-Fischer Audio FA 003/002w
-AKG K701 (is Q701 any different than K701 except for aesthetics?)
-Beyer DT880

Thanks in advance.

I say the K701 (Q701 is no different from what I've read) and get a cheap receiver to power them ($20 from a garage sale). They are excellent cans for classical music.

Quote:
Ok I have done alot of researching and learned alot (or I am pretty sure I have) since I joined this forum to find a headphone. I am a competitive gamer, but I also listen to music like classic rock, and dubstep, rarely movies, and like to be immersed with
gaming(CS 1.6/CZ(don't make fun of me) ) as well as music. I would like to hear footsteps and wallspams in cs, I also would like to have the best soundstage and imaging(directional pinpointing) available.

I have only had 20 dollar Wal-Mart headphones and a Gamecom 777 headset. I like closed headphones cause I don't want to hear the fan blowing, ect.

I have about $200 - $300 to spend on a headphone.

I have looked at alot of headphones, at first I thought I liked the AD700, I was about to buy it, then I saw the AD900, I was so excited i was about to buy that, but then I learned about how bass light it was and about how people were returning it because of that, which got me seriously researching because I don't want to buy one and be unsatisfied or buy multiple headphones (because I don't have money to throw around really).

I looked at:
AD700 - Read it was real good for positioning, had good soundstage, but was too basslight for immersion to really get into gaming and music.
AD900 - A little better than the AD700, but just the same about being basslight.
A 700/900 - Closed, good, but also heard the positioning and soundstage was reduced and the bass was better than the A700/900 but just wasn't good enough.
DT770 Pro 80Ohms - I then found this closed headphone, it was the headphone to get for gaming a few years ago (from what I've read) but some say it was just too bass heavy and the bass overpowered the rest of the sounds to get good positional accuracy and the sound stage (I know I have read that bass isn't good for that but people say it was WAY too overpowering for what it was)
DT880(forgot the ohm) - I found this and thought since it is semi-open/semi-closed, it would be really good, but then I read about people saying it leaks noise alot and how it isn't completely accurate in positional accuracy from behind or something, and that the bass is too light for the "immersion" like detail.
Superlux HD-668B - I havn't done much research on this, but what I have read is, people say this is a headphone up in the levels of the DT770 or something i think, and when I first posted in the other forum "post here to find a headphone" or something, Tacoboy recommended this to me. He said this is the one I should get.

After researching, I told myself I didn't want the AD700/900 or the A700/900, and i heard that the DT880 was semi-open so I wondered about how the sound leaked and that it was bad at pinpointing back directional sounds, then I looked at and researched alot more headphones and I think I am going to buy a DT770, i am just not sure about which Ohm I should pick, I will buy a Asus Xonar STX or a sound card and a dedicated amp (because I read that a STX cannot successfully power a headphone for maximum quality.) I didnt really think the Superlux HD-668B could be as good as a DT770 because of the price differences, so I couldn't really say anything much about that.

So I would like to know, am I making the right decision in picking the DT770? If I am right, which OHM should I choose and why? If I am wrong, please suggest a headphone and/or amp I should probably get instead of the DT770, and leave a reason why.

Thanks to all who gave me some suggestions in my first post, and thanks to everyone that will give me some good advice/suggestions in this post.

Thanks so much for reading.
/end essay

Quote:
I know, but I want bass with my games/music, but i also want the best that is good with directional sounds, imaging, and has good soundstage that there is out there for $200,$300 that has some good bass.

(I want the best of 2 worlds basically)

EDIT*  I mean I want the best that is available for my needs, thanks.

As mentioned already, it is very difficult to have the best of both worlds. If you are a competitive gamer, heavy bass will slow your reaction time. Not only does bass overwhelm mid/high sounds, bass also resonates and that slow decay will seriously impede the timing cues required for positioning.

About the best I can suggest would be to grab a Fostex T50rp or T40rp (usually around $100, the T40 is the closed version) and experiment with damping. With a decent amp powering it, you will get pretty good bass, and damp it to reduce as much reverb as possible.

Quote:
Is there a closed, more portable version of the Beyer DT880 Pro's? I tried a pair at a local Guitar Center store and I really liked them.

Best I can think of would be the AKG K81/518 or the bigger brother K181 which should be available at the Guitar Center.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #6,335 of 29,490

Quote:
Many, if not all of the best headsets for gaming, have bass-light and treble-happy sigs. That's just how it works. Bass masks the details so it's pointless to even ask for "decent" bass if you're also interested in positioning. I'd advise you to get a different set of cans for gaming and music. The PC360 for gaming, and perhaps a M50 which are half decent in the bass arena could do it. If you stick to one can only for both tasks, you could end up with a can doing just mediocre at both.

JB

Yea I see what you mean, I understand, but I just want 1 headphone, I think I would rather have more bass than soundstage and positioning, but I would still like all of them to be good, I know they wont be perfect, but I want them to be as good as they CAN be, hope you understand
wink_face.gif
A guy from another part of this forum recommended me a Ultrasone for bass+good for gaming " http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone/2070#post_7690241 ", I have to look at that and I think I am going to go with either an Ultrasone closed-back or the Beyerdynamic DT770 80Ohms. Thanks for responding.

Quote:

the m50 does not have so much bass that he wouldn't be able to use them for gaming.

I've read on these forums that the m50 is bad for gaming and if I remember correctly I think i saw them in  a forum called something like "worst headphone I've ever bought" or something. Thanks for the reply
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
how about some senn hd555's for gaming? their pretty bass light and for their price, have good detail, imaging, and soundstage.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the thing is, they're pretty bass light, need some bass
basshead.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #6,336 of 29,490

the m50 is a great set of headphones if you can find them around 100 bucks no matter what anyone says. honestly i love my m50's to death they gave me so much for the money
Quote:
Yea I see what you mean, I understand, but I just want 1 headphone, I think I would rather have more bass than soundstage and positioning, but I would still like all of them to be good, I know they wont be perfect, but I want them to be as good as they CAN be, hope you understand
wink_face.gif
A guy from another part of this forum recommended me a Ultrasone for bass+good for gaming " http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone/2070#post_7690241 ", I have to look at that and I think I am going to go with either an Ultrasone closed-back or the Beyerdynamic DT770 80Ohms. Thanks for responding.

I've read on these forums that the m50 is bad for gaming and if I remember correctly I think i saw them in  a forum called something like "worst headphone I've ever bought" or something. Thanks for the reply
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, but the thing is, they're pretty bass light, need some bass
basshead.gif

you have a lot of options, denon2000, ultrasone pro 900, denon d5000

Quote:
I need new headphones for mixing electronic music, does anybody have recommendations around roughly the 300-500 dollar range?

I'm eying the Sennheiser HD650's at the moment.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #6,338 of 29,490

Quote:

im stuck between 
denon d2000

what should i get?

Quote:
honestly bro i don't listen to that music so i can't make any suggestions, you should wait on Armaegis to get back or msg him he's online right now. All i can tell you is you should probably steer clear of those beyers or try and find a lower ohm version because they will be really hard to drive. Also i have the d2000 and they produce a very down low sound so i doubt you'll be into that.

I personally don't consider the DT770/880/990 good 'everything' headphones (though others I'm sure will disagree).

The D2000 has great bass extension but also has that low end resonance which adds nice body, but some feel it bleeds too much into the mids. Some mods and damping actually go a long way to alleviating this if you feel like opening them up. Even just a bit of poster putty will do. If building the amp to suit it, go with a low gain.

The Senns tend to have a bit of a midbass hump, though sound "brighter" than the Denons. They'll need a bit more gain than the Denons as well.

Or if you're considering the price range of the HD650, that also puts you within range of an HE-4.

Quote:
I need new headphones for mixing electronic music, does anybody have recommendations around roughly the 300-500 dollar range?

I'm eying the Sennheiser HD650's at the moment.

They're ok, though I would consider something like the K701 better suited. The AKG has a flatter response (though less bass), while the Senns have a mild midbass emphasis. The AKG also has a faster (to my ear) decay which should provide a cleaner sound for mixing.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

basshead.gif

The M50 has good sound, but the soundstage is mediocre. The bass emphasis along with recessed mids also sucks for positional cues in gaming (really, any DJ style headphone is bad at this).

The ultrasones are potentially good... but S-Logic is weird for soundstage. Because it's an artificial implementation to create that imaging by removing the direct path of sound to your ear, it may or may not work for gaming. It's one of those things that you really have to try for yourself because it affects people differently.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #6,339 of 29,490

Quote:
I really need to work on my english X_X thanks man haha. if he wants portable beyer has the t50p which are a terrific set of cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Best I can think of would be the AKG K81/518 or the bigger brother K181 which should be available at the Guitar Center.

Edited:

I'll check out the AKG's when I get the chance.

I've read a lot of threads about the T50p's being a bit too sibilant. Are the DT1350's much different?

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #6,341 of 29,490
Hi there, I'm new to this site. I was looking for some feedback on some headphones.
Don't have the most money in the world (looking to spend about $20 on headphones).

Last headphones I bought were MEElectronics M6-BK. I saw reviews of how good they were, so I bought them, and I didn't like them at all. It was hard to get the fit in, and the left earphone broke within a couple of days (bought brand new from Amazon).

I don't want to go through the same failure and waste of money again.
Just looking for cheap headphones.

Are the Skull Candy good? My friends recommend those.
Or should I get those Sony's that last a long time (my blue buds lasted nearly a year, for $10).
I'm looking for headphones that will stay in your ear while you exercise, walk, and ones that won't break easily. Any links to Amazon would be nice. Thank you!

Message me if you have any recommendations. Thanks

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #6,342 of 29,490
do you want ones that go inside your ear, clip on your ear, or sit on your ear?

Quote:
Hi there, I'm new to this site. I was looking for some feedback on some headphones.
Don't have the most money in the world (looking to spend about $20 on headphones).

Last headphones I bought were MEElectronics M6-BK. I saw reviews of how good they were, so I bought them, and I didn't like them at all. It was hard to get the fit in, and the left earphone broke within a couple of days (bought brand new from Amazon).

I don't want to go through the same failure and waste of money again.
Just looking for cheap headphones.

Are the Skull Candy good? My friends recommend those.
Or should I get those Sony's that last a long time (my blue buds lasted nearly a year, for $10).
I'm looking for headphones that will stay in your ear while you exercise, walk, and ones that won't break easily. Any links to Amazon would be nice. Thank you!

Message me if you have any recommendations. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back