++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #6,361 of 29,490
Maybe I should've looked up the DX first before posting.. hmm.

Since the DX is for home theatre/speakers, I suppose having an internal amp would be self-defeating. 

Quote:
i'm not off and neither of those cards is the asus DX we are talking about. The DX does NOT have a case and does NOT have a headphone amp.......it's this sort of ignorance that starts these problems.

Amping a low impedance/high sens headphone won't do much but increase the volume, as well as the noise level. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #6,362 of 29,490
I am looking to get a pair of closed (no sound leakage as I will be using them in a library), over-the-ear headphones for use with an iPod and computer.  I would like a fairly short cord, not a 3m monitor chord because I will be walking around with them, and low impedance so my iPod does not die and I can actually get some good volume/sound.  I plan on wearing them for extended periods of time so comfort is also a big factor for me.  I am looking to spend around $100 on these cans, but might be enticed to spend more.  Thanks for the help!

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #6,363 of 29,490
My Bose quiet comfort 2s vs. Sennheiser HD 650 or Dennon 5000?  I have not tried any reference based headphones but I do love my Bose nose cancelling for traveling.  Can anyone tell what I can expect if I upgrade to the Senns or Denon?

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #6,364 of 29,490
Buy Other Sound Equipment

Are you planning to travel with these headphones? The HD650 are open headphones and will let as much sound in as if you had nothing on your ears. The denon D5000 are closed headphones but they don't really have the tightest seal; however they are some of the most comfortable headphones you will ever put on your head. What type of headphone you buy depends on what type of music you listen to as some will play music better than others. Also at this price point you may want to consider an amp and a dac as it will improve your sound considerably.
Quote:
My Bose quiet comfort 2s vs. Sennheiser HD 650 or Dennon 5000?  I have not tried any reference based headphones but I do love my Bose nose cancelling for traveling.  Can anyone tell what I can expect if I upgrade to the Senns or Denon?

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #6,365 of 29,490
Which is your priority, sound quality or comfort?
It'd be helpful to list your favourite songs, bands, etc.

Also, search button is very useful. If you're considering a rather expensive
purchase (imo), then this thread really isn't suitable. You want to look up
appreciation threads, ask questions there, etc. 

More opinions > better idea of what the headphone is like.
Of course, the best way to go about this is to audition the phones
yourself. 

Quote:

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #6,366 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking to get a pair of closed (no sound leakage as I will be using them in a library), over-the-ear headphones for use with an iPod and computer.  I would like a fairly short cord, not a 3m monitor chord because I will be walking around with them, and low impedance so my iPod does not die and I can actually get some good volume/sound.  I plan on wearing them for extended periods of time so comfort is also a big factor for me.  I am looking to spend around $100 on these cans, but might be enticed to spend more.  Thanks for the help!

Another person I can recommend the SuperLux HD-668Bs to, they are semi-open but leak almost no noise, they are good enough sound quality that you can leave the volume low and still hear your music.
But you can still hear enough around you, like car traffic (safety) and people walking near you.
They ship with two cords, one is 10 feet, the other is 3 feet.
They are 56-Ohm so they can be used with an Ipod.
They as comfortable as most headphones, they ship with fake leather pads, but you can replace them with Velour pads (the Velour pads made for the AKG 240, 241 will work).
You can order them shipped to you from Audiohipster for about half your budget.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #6,367 of 29,490
Good day, Head Fi. Been lurking around here but never bothered to make a post, or even an account. x) But now I'm in the market for an upgrade from my XB700.

Budget, $250. Want a closed headphone that performs great for Hip Hop, great mids and bass, a decent soundstage and separation, and a warm sound overall. Portability is not an issue, and I'd prefer around the ear cans.

I's like to hear a more full, detailed sound than my XB700s mostly. And a more subtle, but still impactful bass.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #6,368 of 29,490
Alright guys. A few of you probably know me around here by now. While I think it's a little ironic that I'm asking for advice at this point...I haven't payed attention to budget-fi in awhile. :D

Basically. I've owned headphones from 10 dollars to 1000 dollars...and after all of this I've pretty much decided the HD 598 is the greatest headphone ever.

SO! What is the closest thing to a closed 598?

That was question 1.

Question 2 is this. What is the best Basshead can right around 350. XB1000s have been tugging at me for awhile, Pro 900s are an option...Just hit me up with everything you got.

Basically, I'm starting over on my headphone journey and plan to stay a little lower than I ended up before. Trying to appreciate the music rather than the gear...

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6,369 of 29,490

Quote:

Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live
Shure 440

Quote:

Well both of those are a lot bigger and not as convenient for travel. The HD650 are open and do not isolate at all, the D5000 are closed but really don't isolate either. The D5000 are typically considered bassy and have a very "rich" sound with very strong bass extension. The HD650 have more of a midbass focus and great soundstage.

Quote:
Good day, Head Fi. Been lurking around here but never bothered to make a post, or even an account. x) But now I'm in the market for an upgrade from my XB700.

Budget, $250. Want a closed headphone that performs great for Hip Hop, great mids and bass, a decent soundstage and separation, and a warm sound overall. Portability is not an issue, and I'd prefer around the ear cans.

I's like to hear a more full, detailed sound than my XB700s mostly. And a more subtle, but still impactful bass.

Any Ultrasone that isn't overly bassy might suit you (so basically not the HFI580 or Pro750/900) as they have strong bass and the S-Logic gives a fairly wide sense of soundstage. Some find their sound a bit cooler though, so you really have to try them out to decide.

If you can find a used Denon D2000, I think the sound will suit you as well. It has excellent bass that does bleed a little bit into the mids but not too badly. 

I can also recommend the Shure 840 (not sure if they're still on sale through Amazon) which has a strong bass but is more sloped in response rather than V shaped like other DJ cans. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #6,370 of 29,490

So I was recently scammed and was sold fake Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Now that my parents are super skeptical about me getting nice cans, i want to find another product that is similar or same in quality as those headphones but for a more reasonable price.

Someone already suggested the Superlux by Avlex HD668B headphones, but I want to keep my options open. I'm heading off to college for 4 years and i want a solid pair of headphones that will satisfy my crave for electro and club music.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #6,371 of 29,490
The M50s were a great place to start...Take a look at some of Phiaton's offerings...And to be honest...those Superlux cans may be the way to go.

Quote:

So I was recently scammed and was sold fake Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Now that my parents are super skeptical about me getting nice cans, i want to find another product that is similar or same in quality as those headphones but for a more reasonable price.

Someone already suggested the Superlux by Avlex HD668B headphones, but I want to keep my options open. I'm heading off to college for 4 years and i want a solid pair of headphones that will satisfy my crave for electro and club music.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #6,372 of 29,490

Quote:
The M50s were a great place to start...Take a look at some of Phiaton's offerings...And to be honest...those Superlux cans may be the way to go.

I agree, they would have been amazing (or so i've heard, pardon the pun) but alas, they are fake. Paypal is giving our money back and we're sending the fake cans back to China. I'll give Phiaton a look. Any suggestions?

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #6,373 of 29,490
They cost right around what I've been seeing the M50s at lately. Take a look at the MS 300.

Quote:

I agree, they would have been amazing (or so i've heard, pardon the pun) but alas, they are fake. Paypal is giving our money back and we're sending the fake cans back to China. I'll give Phiaton a look. Any suggestions?

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6,374 of 29,490

Quote:
They cost right around what I've been seeing the M50s at lately. Take a look at the MS 300.

Oooof that's quite hefty of a price there. I might buy those myself when I'm in college but i think ill ask my dad about the Superlux headphones. they seem to be the best place to start right now :frowning2:

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #6,375 of 29,490
I'd honestly try the M50s again after the bad taste from a fake leaves your mouth. I'm thinking about another pair myself.

Superlux have a pretty good rep around here, I'd say give them a try.

Quote:
Oooof that's quite hefty of a price there. I might buy those myself when I'm in college but i think ill ask my dad about the Superlux headphones. they seem to be the best place to start right now :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back