++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #14,446 of 29,490
After some advice on something to replace my current A700s. I've been happy overall with the A700s, but wouldn't mind a bit more oomph in the bass.

I've been looking at the AKG K272HD and the A900X so was wondering how these other two models compare or if there would be any other recommendations? I won't be using an amp so that might limit my choices. I really like the look of the K272HD but have read that it lacks bass response?

May 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #14,447 of 29,490
Hey guys.

I just recently got into higher end audio. I've had a pair of sennhesier hd428's for over a year. I love them, and i recently got a Fiio e10 dac+amp combo. I'm looking to upgrade my headphones next, I'm just not sure what to choose.

I listen to mostly EDM music, dubstep, house and than also heavy metal, hardcore music. I know these genres are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, so I'm trying to find a good headphone that will give me an upgrade over my current hd428s. I love bass but at the same time I like hearing the lyrics in house and dubstep songs. (If that makes sense to you guys)

I'm leaning towards the DT770 250ohm or 80 ohm versions. I have an e10 amp and dac so I think i can power the 250ohm version without a problem.

I'm open to any suggestions though.

May 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #14,448 of 29,490

Quote:
Just another newbie question. I read a lot here about DACs and amps here, but what is the difference between the two? Do they both simply aim to improve sound quality in general, or do they have different effects?
I really appreciate the help thus far, thanks.

Audio is stored in a digital (zeros & ones) form, amplifiers are analog (wave), we hear in analog (wave).
DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter.

May 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #14,449 of 29,490

Suggestions to upgrade from Denon AH-D1100 / with Fiio E10 ?

Hello everybody !

I currently own the AH-D1100 from Denon and I'm now ready to upgrade to a better headphone. I was really interest by the D2000 but the isolation and the fact that they could leak a little bit made me change my mind. I mostly use my headphones at work in a open space area, so I need a good isolation and no leak to respect my coworkers.

So here is the question, which headphones would you suggest to upgrade from the D1100. Budget is between $300 and $350 and it will be use with a Fiio E10. Is anyone is in the same situation than me ? What did you choose ?

Thanks a lot !

May 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #14,450 of 29,490

Quote:
After some advice on something to replace my current A700s. I've been happy overall with the A700s, but wouldn't mind a bit more oomph in the bass.
I've been looking at the AKG K272HD and the A900X so was wondering how these other two models compare or if there would be any other recommendations? I won't be using an amp so that might limit my choices. I really like the look of the K272HD but have read that it lacks bass response?

I do not see a lot (if any) of AKG K272HD owners recommending others to buy the K272HD.

May 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #14,452 of 29,490

Quote:
I hope you guys can set me on the right track for choosing some great headphones, thanks in advance. Some information for you to be able to give me adequate advice.

Music genres: Ambient, Trance, Chillout, Popular music and Classical (minimal like Philip Glass). Furthermore it will be used for Youtube and other sites alike, for movies and series.
Portable: No, I will use it most of the time with my laptop.
Price range: Preferably 100 euros max (see list a bit further). This is without an headphone AMP which may be an option in the future.
Closed/Open: Closed. Don't want to wake up others or burden them with my sounds.
Headphone preference: I want to listen and enjoy the music.
Listening time: All day long. I have at this moment USB PC headphones (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000) and the pads are scaling off (if that's a correct translation). I actually don't know the difference between PC headphones and normal headphones. Anyone an idea about that? So not only is the factor sound important the headphones also need to be comfortable.

A list I have composed based on the FAQ in this topic and other sources on the net. Remeber all are 100 euro's or cheaper other additions are of course welcome :) but will make choosing even harder.

- Koss Pro DJ 100 (75eu)

- Philips Uptown (99eu)

- Ultrasone Hfi 580 (B-stock don't know exactly what is wrong yet) (99eu)

- Shure SRH-440 (75eu)

- Creative Aurvana Live! (60eu)

- KRK KNS-6400 (89eu)

A little kick for my post it seems to have been lost in the amplifier discussion.

May 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #14,453 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

which headphones would you suggest to upgrade from the D1100. Budget is between $300 and $350

The D1100 is a bit of a bass canon right?  Is that a requirement

Quote:
I can find the ATH-AD700 for $70? Everywhere i look they're atleast $100 or more.

I've seen it somewhere for ~$72 IIRC.  Sony ZX700 is another one which can be found around that price at times.

Quote:
A little kick for my post it seems to have been lost in the amplifier discussion.

Your choices look good, but you should expand your sound preference more than "I want to enjoy the music".

May 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #14,454 of 29,490

Quote:
Just another newbie question. I read a lot here about DACs and amps here, but what is the difference between the two? Do they both simply aim to improve sound quality in general, or do they have different effects?

I think of it like this: Sheet music is the digital information, and an instrument is the analog sound. The musician (or the dac) takes the information on the sheet music (mp3, flac, or w/e) and turns it into sound with the instrument (headphones.) If that makes any sense.

Not entirely sure on how to fit the amp into that relation. I guess it could be the instructor telling the musician to play with pianissimo or fortissimo. Also, the more you pay for your musician and instructor the better they will be at their job, within reason.

May 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #14,455 of 29,490

Quote:

The D1100 is a bit of a bass canon right?  Is that a requirement

I've seen it somewhere for ~$72 IIRC.  Sony ZX700 is another one which can be found around that price at times.

Your choices look good, but you should expand your sound preference more than "I want to enjoy the music".

Thanks I will try to work on it. It's pretty hard because I have never owned a proper headphone but on the other hand I of course want to invest in a headphone which satisfies my needs.

May 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #14,457 of 29,490

Quote:

This may help:

http://lifehacker.com/5903575/unleash-your-headphones-full-potential-with-a-usb-dac-and-amplifier

May 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #14,458 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm assuming that you want closed headphones.  No amp does limit your choices.  You also did not mention the price range in which you are looking.

Shure SRH 940, Denon D2000, Ultrasone HiFi 780

May 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #14,459 of 29,490

Quote:

Suggestions to upgrade from Denon AH-D1100 / with Fiio E10 ?

Hello everybody !

I currently own the AH-D1100 from Denon and I'm now ready to upgrade to a better headphone. I was really interest by the D2000 but the isolation and the fact that they could leak a little bit made me change my mind. I mostly use my headphones at work in a open space area, so I need a good isolation and no leak to respect my coworkers.

So here is the question, which headphones would you suggest to upgrade from the D1100. Budget is between $300 and $350 and it will be use with a Fiio E10. Is anyone is in the same situation than me ? What did you choose ?

Thanks a lot !

Ultrasone Pro 750, Shure SRH 940--both well below your budget cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back