++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #14,431 of 29,490

Quote:

Getting headphones loud doesn't mean that they're powered properly. The need a lot of power and current to work well. You can get them loud out of an ipod, but they won't sound nearly as good as out of an amp. Loudness is not sound quality.  Also, their impedance is 50 Ohms only on paper, its actually not constant, it has a big spike that goes up to 300Ohms. You can use them without an amp, but you'll be wasting your money. You better buy cheaper headphones then, you'll get the same sound out of them.

Isn't amps purpose to amplify the signal with minimum distortion to signal. The more I amplify the signal the louder the headphones will go. So if I can output clean signal with only 13mW and reach 110dBSPL, then I don't see how having big strong 800mW amp would be useful, because I can't never output that much power into the headphones. I would still only be using 13mW to drive the headphones.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #14,432 of 29,490

Quote:

Isn't amps purpose to amplify the signal with minimum distortion to signal. The more I amplify the signal the louder the headphones will go. So if I can output clean signal with only 13mW and reach 110dBSPL, then I don't see how having big strong 800mW amp would be useful, because I can't never output that much power into the headphones. I would still only be using 13mW to drive the headphones.

No...look, use them with anything you want, but I'm telling you you're wasting your money. And read up on how amplifiers works to clear up any mysteries. There's much more than just mW's and db's in play here, and its not as simple as you think. The point is, the difference between using a cheap sound card line out and a dedicated headphone amp is night and day.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #14,434 of 29,490
  Quote: Originally Posted by Papander      Isn't amps purpose to amplify the signal with minimum distortion to signal. The more I amplify the signal the louder the headphones will go. So if I can output clean signal with only 13mW and reach 110dBSPL, then I don't see how having big strong 800mW amp would be useful, because I can't never output that much power into the headphones. I would still only be using 13mW to drive the headphones.   No...look, use them with anything you want, but I'm telling you you're wasting your money. And read up on how amplifiers works to clear up any mysteries. There's much more than just mW's and db's in play here, and its not as simple as you think. The point is, the difference between using a cheap sound card line out and a dedicated headphone amp is night and day.

I don't think you can blanket it like that. If your going to summarize it then you should say dac/amp is night and day. Also isn't the point of an amp to provide power, by that I mean greater voltage or current, onboard systems are usually hammered when it comes to voltage. And as a blanket statement lower impedances generally need more current and higher require more voltage, hence being labelled as harder to DRIVE not power, the powering is just a side effect.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #14,435 of 29,490
Haha. I asked a simple question that blew up into a scientific debate about amplification. I'm flattered 
tongue.gif

But in all seriousness, would it be a good idea to just get the hd 598s and buy an amp later if need be?

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #14,436 of 29,490

Quote:
Haha. I asked a simple question that blew up into a scientific debate about amplification. I'm flattered 
tongue.gif

But in all seriousness, would it be a good idea to just get the hd 598s and buy an amp later if need be?

If you don't listen to your music at SUPER LOUD levels, I think It would be fine but It will leak mind you.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #14,437 of 29,490
The HD598 needs 13mW, 0.79Vrms and 15.9mA into 50ohm to reach 110dBSPL.

For comparison Q701 needs 51mW, 1.78Vrms and 28.7mA into 62ohm to reach the same 110dBSPL.

Truly hard to drive headphone like hifiman HE-6 needs 501mW, 5Vrms and 100mA into 50ohm to reach 110dBSPL.

Lets say you have 2 amps, one powerful and one "weak" amp, if both can output the above specs without distortion then there should be little to no change in sound (both are using the same DAC).

So it doesn't make sense to buy the big and powerful amp when you won't be utilizing its power.

Pretty sure HD598 can be driven from pretty much anything. So like PC and external DAC/soundcard should do the job.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #14,440 of 29,490

Quote:
How much would my Ultrasone 750 Pro benefit from an amp? If it is worth it, recommendations would be great as I do not know really where to start.

It spends on the individual source.  On my iPhone 4 alone the bass goes missing, despite decent volume levels being produced.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #14,441 of 29,490
Hi guys,
New here, but been reading around for some time (just never posted). My old cans just died, so I'm looking for a decent upgrade. Here are my requirements:

1. Price point: $150 - $300
  2. Closed
  3. Over-ear
  4. Music: Classical (main), acoustic, some...metal. I don't have any hip hop, and have very little dubstep, so bass is not a priority.
  5. Decent isolation
  6. Comfortable
  7. Decently portable
  8. Willing to use an amp if not on the move

Based on my research so far, these are the few that seem to fit my requirements:
  1. Shure SRH940
  2. AKG K271 MKII
  3. DT770 (pity the DT880 isn't closed, coz its a good classical can apparently)

Any advice on this? I'm leaning towards the 940's, but the apparent comfort issues are a bit of a turn off.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #14,442 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys,
New here, but been reading around for some time (just never posted). My old cans just died, so I'm looking for a decent upgrade. Here are my requirements:

1. Price point: $150 - $300
  2. Closed
  3. Over-ear
  4. Music: Classical (main), acoustic, some...metal. I don't have any hip hop, and have very little dubstep, so bass is not a priority.
  5. Decent isolation
  6. Comfortable
  7. Decently portable
  8. Willing to use an amp if not on the move

Based on my research so far, these are the few that seem to fit my requirements:
  1. Shure SRH940
  2. AKG K271 MKII
  3. DT770 (pity the DT880 isn't closed, coz its a good classical can apparently)

Any advice on this? I'm leaning towards the 940's, but the apparent comfort issues are a bit of a turn off.

I'd go with Shure.  I don't find that comfort is a problem--although I have not worn it for more than four hours.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #14,443 of 29,490
Just another newbie question. I read a lot here about DACs and amps here, but what is the difference between the two? Do they both simply aim to improve sound quality in general, or do they have different effects?
I really appreciate the help thus far, thanks.

May 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #14,444 of 29,490

Quote:

I hope you aren't talking about using HD800 for portable use...

I am talking about using the HD800 for portable use.
1. I have read from multiple sources that the ALO Audio RX MKII is perfectly capable of driving the HD800.
2. People have done this before. I'm sure that I've heard of this a few times on Head-Fi
3. In my mind, headphones were made to be portable.

May 1, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #14,445 of 29,490

I am talking about using the HD800 for portable use.
1. I have read from multiple sources that the ALO Audio RX MKII is perfectly capable of driving the HD800.
2. People have done this before. I'm sure that I've heard of this a few times on Head-Fi
3. In my mind, headphones were made to be portable.

The HD800 is the most open-air dynamic headphone on this planet.

You're currently using the Sennheiser HD 280 which costs $99, and want to jump straight into a $2500 portable rig that will leak like the titanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back