++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #14,057 of 29,490
HD598 is stellar with like Sigur Ros.

Quote:
Im looking for a new pair of cans... I listen to all different kinds of electronic music, metal,  progrock, instrumental, jazz, singersongwriter, folk, indie,  but mostly metal and ambient.  My price range is 350-400, maybe a lil more or less.  I am going to  be running them though a fiio E17 but i may purchase a little dot soon or whatever may complement the headphones best.  Im looking for a neutral sound.  Im not a bass head but I do like bass but not to be distracting.  Ive heard grados are great for heavier music, but I also would like a nice soundstage for all the ambient and electronic I listen to, so If any of you could help me out that would be GREAT.... o yea and so far ive been revolving around these... O yea and something that I dont need to buy a 300 dollar amp to drive!

Grados sr325is
Dennon AHD2000/5000
Sennheiser hd598/600
Need more suggestions

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #14,058 of 29,490
Looking for a pair of headphones for the girlfriend's birthday. I'm located in Canada, but I'm near the border so online shopping is doable.

Budget: $50-150. I know it's a broad range, but she's not an audiophile and whatever is the best bang for the buck would do just fine for her. Made a budget for her birthday and if I go under, I can always grab her some extra goodies.
Genre: Mainly rock/indie music (Radiohead, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, etc.)
Sound signature: Not too sure tbh.

Usage: She'll be using them with her iPod touch, no amp. Mainly to and from school/work, sometimes at home. Portable is a big bonus, however, she does want cans.
Open/Closed: Definitely closed; the bus isn't too conducive to open headphones.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #14,059 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

So out of those two, what would you suggest? I listen to mostly rap. Also concerning one of the original questions, is the difference between these two and my DJ1 Pros enough to disappoint the average person? 

I haven't heard the DJ1--so can't help there.

I have the M50s and the 840.  The 840 is the more accurate and better can.  It comes with a removable cord and is very comfortable.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #14,060 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for a pair of headphones for the girlfriend's birthday. I'm located in Canada, but I'm near the border so online shopping is doable.

Budget: $50-150. I know it's a broad range, but she's not an audiophile and whatever is the best bang for the buck would do just fine for her. Made a budget for her birthday and if I go under, I can always grab her some extra goodies.

Usage: She'll be using them with her iPod touch, no amp. Mainly to and from school/work, sometimes at home. Portable is a big bonus, however, she does want cans.

Thanks!

CAL! or Ultrasone HiFi 780.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #14,061 of 29,490

Quote:
Im looking for a new pair of cans... I listen to all different kinds of electronic music, metal,  progrock, instrumental, jazz, singersongwriter, folk, indie,  but mostly metal and ambient.  My price range is 350-400, maybe a lil more or less.  I am going to  be running them though a fiio E17 but i may purchase a little dot soon or whatever may complement the headphones best.  Im looking for a neutral sound.  Im not a bass head but I do like bass but not to be distracting.  Ive heard grados are great for heavier music, but I also would like a nice soundstage for all the ambient and electronic I listen to, so If any of you could help me out that would be GREAT.... o yea and so far ive been revolving around these... O yea and something that I dont need to buy a 300 dollar amp to drive!

Grados sr325is
Dennon AHD2000/5000
Sennheiser hd598/600
Need more suggestions

AKG Q 701 (clarity and sound stage) or D5000--probably open box (better bass and more punch in all frequencies).

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #14,062 of 29,490

Quote:

KRK KNS 6400

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #14,063 of 29,490
Hello! I am looking for some IEMs...and good PORTABLE amps for the earphones
Some info...
Budget: about 2.5K max (thats right 2,500 dollars)
Genre: Mainly hip hop, electronic, dubstep, classical, christian gospel, rock, and today's hits
Sound Signature: i luv bass
Usage: From Macbook Air at home or from iPod while going to school

Some options
JH-3A
JH-16 Pro (will need separate amp)
Ultimate Ears 18-Pro (will need separate amp)
Need more recommendations?

THANKS

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #14,064 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello! I am looking for some IEMs...and good PORTABLE amps for the earphones
Some info...
Budget: about 2.5K max (thats right 2,500 dollars)
Genre: Mainly hip hop, electronic, dubstep, classical, christian gospel, rock, and today's hits
Sound Signature: i luv bass
Usage: From Macbook Air at home or from iPod while going to school

Some options
JH-3A
JH-16 Pro (will need separate amp)
Ultimate Ears 18-Pro (will need separate amp)
Need more recommendations?

THANKS

You need to post this in the Portable Headphones... section of the forum.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #14,065 of 29,490
thx for the fix :)

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #14,066 of 29,490
Would a Fiio E11 drive a Beyer DT990 250 ohms? i know it sounds like a dumb question but you never know 
tongue_smile.gif
. And if it cant can you guys recommend a amp that will? Also what is the point of going higher in ohms?

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #14,069 of 29,490
I'm looking for headphones that have great isolation (non leakage), that are bass and mids focused. So, strong bass and forward mids. I also want good soundstage, clear sound, and good comfort. My budget is $300, and I don't want an amp. Does such a headphone exist? I was thinking about the AKG K550's.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #14,070 of 29,490
is there a thinner, lighter amp than the d zero around the same price range? I am only looking for an amp and don't care whether there is a DAC or not. I am driving Fostex T50rp through an android phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back