++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #8,986 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry, I've started a new thread because  hadn't seen this.
I'm looking for a wireless headphone, and I need good isolation from outside noise.
My limit is 250 - 300 euros.
And I live in Italy.
I've seen Sennheiser RS 170 & RS 180, but these are open back.

What's the best choice?

Are you looking at wireless home or wireless portable? Here's their current lineup of options:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_wireless-headphones

a few more in their travel line
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_travel-line

Quote:
You sure?

Are they the best ??

While not a personal favourite of mine, the M50 are solid headphones.

Quote:
Any ideas ppl ?

mainly i do listen to electronic music and hip hop. i'll be using whatever i buy only in font of my computer at my flat, so that means environment will be almost without any loud noises  

I would say the HFi580 or Pro700, unless you're a competitive FPS gamer in which case I would pick something much lighter on bass.

Quote:

Okay, thanks. Have you done the HD58 -> HD598 foam mod? Results?

Thanks

Haven't tried it myself; only know what I've read. Most consensus seems to the say the 555-->595 convert is valid, but the 558-->598 mod might still be lacking something. In either event, it's not a "huge" difference.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #8,987 of 29,490

Quote:

Haven't tried it myself; only know what I've read. Most consensus seems to the say the 555-->595 convert is valid, but the 558-->598 mod might still be lacking something. In either event, it's not a "huge" difference.

Okay, seems legid since it's a different grill and so on. I'll go for the HD558, thanks for the tip. Have a great evening, whenever that is in your timezone!

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #8,988 of 29,490

Quote:
Are you looking at wireless home or wireless portable? Here's their current lineup of options: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_wireless-headphones

a few more in their travel line
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_travel-line

I'm looking for use at home, in noisy enviroment.
RS 170 seems to be closed, so I think these are noise-sealed.
I've requested for the RS 170 in a shop, here in Italy, I don't know if ut's possible to have it, and I dont't know the price, here.
I'm waiting for an answer.

MM 550 and PCX 360BT seems to be the same thing: is sound quality lesser then RS series?

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #8,989 of 29,490
Hi all, I've been lurking on here for the last couple of days but still a bit baffled by science & choice to be honest, so hoping some kind souls might take pity on me & give me a steer in the right direction.  

I'm after a decent pair of headphones after ages knocking around with cheap in ear ones that came with my phone or whatever.  What I'm after may fall between two stools but here goes.  I really don't like the look of the Beats headphones, but i tried out the Pro ones in a shop last week & really liked the sound of them.  They're not under consideration - loose budget is $200, but I then tried on Bose AE, OE2 & QC15 - none of which I was impressed with particularly, seemed a bit underwhelming after the Pros & was expecting more from the Bose brand as a layperson.  That's when I found my way here!  I'm not a dj or anything & most of my useage will be listening to music of all kinds on my laptop or phone, although I would like to be able to bring them away with me when I travel aswell.  I really like the the look of the Sennheiser 558s I saw in a shop, but they didn't have a pair I could try, also they wouldn't appear to be very portable either & I would like to have the option of taking them with me on a plane etc.  One last thing I've noticed is the 10ft lead & port connector which seems to indicate these just aren't suitable for what I'm after.  I did like the general size of the Bose OE2s - just disappointed with the sound quality & 'feel' of them - prefered the comfort of the Bose AEs.  I might have bought the Bose AEs while I was in the shop if they'd had a hard travel case like the QC15s, but on reflection sound wise they just didn't inspire me

So - sorry for longwinded post but in summary I'm after:

Comfort - preferably over ear but on ear also considered 
Good sound for variety of music types
Portible (maybe foldable with decent case)
Budget up to $200
Something not too 'hardcore' - I'm unlikely to be buying an amp etc for example
Easy on the eye would be a help too :wink:

Thanks for reading - any suggestions welcome.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #8,990 of 29,490
What kind of music do you like?

Phiaton MS400, V-Moda M80, AIAIAI TMA-1, Beyer DT1350, etc.

You've got a ton of options when you hit $200.

Quote:

Budget up to $200

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #8,991 of 29,490
Hi, I like everything from rock to acoustic/unplugged stuff really.  Not really into hip hop or anything, but did like the bass sound of the Beats Pro over the Bose. Just saw the V-Moda M80s & like the look of them - looks like they're sold out on their own website * Amazon though.

Will check out your other recommendations too 
cheers

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #8,992 of 29,490

Quote:

Budget up to $200

Quote:
What kind of music do you like?

Phiaton MS400, V-Moda M80, AIAIAI TMA-1, Beyer DT1350, etc.

You've got a ton of options when you hit $200.

i second these here. i've got the same problem as you, and these were my options with the addition of the senn HD 25-1 II. i decided on the AIAIAI TMA-1, mainly for the durability, portability and overall claim that it's a rather good but underrated headphone. the only thing with the tma-1 is that it's dark by default, so a little EQing of the treble and highs is in order. if you don't mind using an EQ, these are probably fine. i've yet to get mine, but i'm anxious to receive them.

if i hadn't decided on the tma-1's, i'd probably have gone for either the m80 or the ms400, preferring the latter.

the m80 doesn't seem as portable, considering that it's made of metal and seems quite large. however, they do come with a hardshell casing. don't know much about them other than that.

the ms400 is said to have quite good isolation, comfort and weight, plus it looks smaller, but doesn't seem as durable. an interesting fact about the ms400 is that it has carbon fiber in it. i've never heard of nor seen that in other headphones, so that caught my attention.

the HD 25-1 II is pretty widely recommended as an all arounder (with user replaceable parts) and that signature senn sound, but i don't like the idea of a split headband. i have fluffy hair, so the minimal padding on headphones such as grado's and the tma-1 doesn't bother me. also, i don't much like the look of them; the minimalistic touch of the tma-1 was more down my alley.

it might be worth it to mention that the tma-1 has a detachable standard 3.5mm cord, which was something i needed in my headphones. 

as toaster said, there are a lot of $200 options, you should check out this comparison thread to get a better idea/explore some options.

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #8,993 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for use at home, in noisy enviroment.
RS 170 seems to be closed, so I think these are noise-sealed.
I've requested for the RS 170 in a shop, here in Italy, I don't know if ut's possible to have it, and I dont't know the price, here.
I'm waiting for an answer.

MM 550 and PCX 360BT seems to be the same thing: is sound quality lesser then RS series?

I haven't heard those particular models. Just do your due diligence and read reviews online. 

Quote:
Hi, I like everything from rock to acoustic/unplugged stuff really.  Not really into hip hop or anything, but did like the bass sound of the Beats Pro over the Bose. Just saw the V-Moda M80s & like the look of them - looks like they're sold out on their own website * Amazon though.

Will check out your other recommendations too 
cheers

The M80 is a solid headphone and I have no trouble recommending it as a good all-rounder unless you need something with strong isolation. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #8,994 of 29,490

Quote:
The Sony V6 is your best option. Good neutral response, and solid build quality that will survive carting it around college. The M80 is too expensive, the Crossfade too bassy, grados far too coloured and not durable at all. The K240 is ok but also out of budget and not portable either.

The DT880 sits at a rather strong price/performance spot, and I do not feel that any of the others in the price bracket will offer a significant upgrade. If just looking for something different, then the D2000 or a Q701 would be a start.

Perhaps the Senn PC350/360? Though I don't know how much it goes for over there.

The Senn PC360 Headphones are going for 300$ exactly from a store on Amazon.co.jp.  I am thinking about possibly holding out until xmas time and see if I get enough funds to get one of those.  It would be nifty to have the build in mic and I doubt I would use the headset for anything else than on the PC except possibly getting a way to use it on PS3 if possible, and if not, not a huge worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSec /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Xisdibik,
On general lean base phone gives better PC experience (you may refer to the link in the first post of this thread). Actually AD700 from Japan is an good option. But its open. But I would doubt you put the volume so high you get to disturb your neighbours - You most likely go deaf first :p

I dont usually listen to music that loud anymore so I dont think it would disturb anyone :wink:

One thing to note for both of you incase it matters is that this is off my PC's normal Sound card.  (Its a ROG motherboard so it comes with the SB X-FI card built in).  This means I get EAX and CMSS-3D but not Dolby Headphone I believe.  With that in mind, would the PC360 or the AD700 need an amp or will the sound card give them enough power?  With the CMSS-3D in mind would u suggest a different headset?  Also would you recommend when I have more money later on investing in something to give Dolby Headphone instead of CMSS-3D?

Thanks again :)

-Xisdibik

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #8,995 of 29,490
Hi, I'm a fairly new member to head-fi despite having been lurking here for several months, and I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphone to replace my Audio Technica M50s

Setup

I would only be using these headphone at home, and I have no concerns for sound leakage, size, or portability

This is my current setup:    Technics SLB-350/computer internal soundcard --> Adcom GTP-400 --> Audio Technica ATH-M50
The Adcom unit is just for its phono-stage. It has a built in headphone amplifier, but the quality is questionable.

Music

I listen to a pretty wide variety genres, in descending order:

Progressive Rock (Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd)
Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix)
Jazz (Miles Davis, Coltrane, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorius)
Blues (Willie Dixon, Chicken Shack, The Black Keys, BB King)
Metal (Opeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Tool)
Folk (Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, James Taylor)
Very little classical 

Budget

$150-250

Other Things

I don't plan on buying an amp immediately but maybe in the near future, unless it can be included in my budget.

I really like the M50s but might like something different. I have very little sound signature preferences so far.

I really listen too a lot of music from each of the genres I listed, and the best headphones would fit most if not all of them *fairly* well

Headphones I have looked at

Sennheiser HD-600 - Heard only great things about these, but can't find them at my budget, and the amplification would be problematic

Grado SR225i

AKG K701 - Same problem at the Senns

Thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #8,996 of 29,490
How about an HD 598? Can be had under budget, and is easy to power. It's my choice (easily) at you price point and preference. 

It's a great 'one size fits all' headphone. It'll definitely hold you until you can upgrade the rest, too (if so desired).

Quote:
Hi, I'm a fairly new member to head-fi despite having been lurking here for several months, and I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphone to replace my Audio Technica M50s

Setup

I would only be using these headphone at home, and I have no concerns for sound leakage, size, or portability

This is my current setup:    Technics SLB-350/computer internal soundcard --> Adcom GTP-400 --> Audio Technica ATH-M50
The Adcom unit is just for its phono-stage. It has a built in headphone amplifier, but the quality is questionable.

Music

I listen to a pretty wide variety genres, in descending order:

Progressive Rock (Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd)
Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix)
Jazz (Miles Davis, Coltrane, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorius)
Blues (Willie Dixon, Chicken Shack, The Black Keys, BB King)
Metal (Opeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Tool)
Folk (Joni Mitchell, Nick Drake, James Taylor)
Very little classical 

Budget

$150-250

Other Things

I don't plan on buying an amp immediately but maybe in the near future, unless it can be included in my budget.

I really like the M50s but might like something different. I have very little sound signature preferences so far.

I really listen too a lot of music from each of the genres I listed, and the best headphones would fit most if not all of them *fairly* well

Headphones I have looked at

Sennheiser HD-600 - Heard only great things about these, but can't find them at my budget, and the amplification would be problematic

Grado SR225i

AKG K701 - Same problem at the Senns

Thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #8,997 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking for a good pair of circumaural headphones to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD202's. I am not an audiophile or anything, but I do understand some of the limitations of the HD202's quality-wise and that they do add a bit of bass to music. As far as my headphone experience goes they have been my primaries for years and while I have used other headphones I have not used any headphones as extensively and consistently, so any comparisons/recommendations to other headphones should keep that in mind when discussing sound. Also I know I should be willing to test the waters and be willing to deal with returns and whatnot, but I am saving to build a gaming rig and if any of you are into pc gaming you know its not a cheap endeavor when you are trying to futurproof,Overclock, run SLI/Crossfire and watercool as well. I am thinking about money on Headphones or a Raid 1 external enclosure setup now since I am waiting to see the performance and price on 32nm gpus and ivybridge processors next year and  so I have some cash to spend in the interim. Now back to why we are here.

Overall though in response to what some may think about the HD202's, I paid $20 for them new and I was/am pleased with the quality-to-price ratio of the headphones. I was looking  for an overall upgrade but with a few guidelines that have made the choice somewhat hard and I have been scouring this site and others looking for ideas and came across a few but they didn't quite fit what I wanted before spending more money on even a test purchase considering the price range im probably going to land in on a choice.

-Replaceable cable is a must and its not negotiable unless you recommend a headphone with a literally indestructible cable

-Changeable ear pads would be nice (I prefer the velour pads over the fake leather) but not a deal breaker since I have and still am using the HD202's fake leather pads atm.

-price anywhere up to around $300 on the high end but must see recommendations can be up to around $350(but would have to be extremely well presented and verifyable)

-Capable of good sound reproduction mainly for Rock(most subgenres from Avenged 7X to Old Linkin Park to Thrice to Lifehouse) but capable in all genres of music especially classical and orchestral

-closed(since I will be traveling with them and dont want to be a ****** making people listen to my music) with decent isolation since I also use my headphones as earplugs from time to time.

-portable-ish as in I walk around on a regular basis with my HD202's around my neck without major complaint, some irritation at times performing certain tasks(when they are around my neck not on my head) but overall fine.( Something like the Sony MDR-XB1000's would be way too big and the MDR- XB700 would still be a bit too big because of the circular shape and padding and the Senn HD595 and 555 type shape would probably be fine.

-usable straight from ipod 3.5mm audio jack. I do plan on buying a Line-out connecter and a portable amp. Probably a Fiio E5 or E6 or whatever I find works best after researching what works best with the headphones I decide on. The ipod thing is just a fyi about what I use not an upper limit at all.

-I would very much like single entry over dual entry since that is my largest complaint about the HD202 design wise aside from the fixed cable design(Its $20 pair of headphones so the cable thing doesnt count) but I could live with dual entry so dont let it stop you from recommending something good.

I was seriously looking at the Senn HD-25-1 II's. One because of its favorable price and info I found on headfi, but I dont know how I would feel about its more flat response compared to the HD-202s and the fact its supra-aural and not circumaural and that I may or may not have to replace and mod a new copper cable to replace the stock steel one depending on how I felt about the sound. I have heard they do not cover as wide a genre gamut as the HD202's also so if you can shine some light on that I would appreciate it. I also researched the Sony MDR-V6's,  Audio Technica ATH M50, Panasonic HTF600's, yet none of them scaled up well price wise and because of my hard requirement of having a replaceable cable. In case you were wondering I am slightly partial to Senns since my HD202 have been my babies for a long while but I am open minded when it comes to choices as long as they sound pretty and fit what I required.

Well this post is somewhat long but I wanted to be thorough to facilitate getting right down to it.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #8,998 of 29,490
Hi. I'm an IEM user but I'm probably gonna get into headphones.

I looked through this website and found good ones such as Denon D2000, ATH M50, DT990 pro, and HFI 580. **I won't be using an amplifier for it.

I want a good isolated headphone but I'm also looking for a stagesound.

I listen to a lot of rap, r&b, club music, electronic and some piano music also.

I will be plugging this into my iPod and my laptop.

What's the best one out of these or do you guys have other recommendations? My budget is 250. thanks.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #9,000 of 29,490

the Q701 has significantly more bass than the K701. IMO it made it listenable for me. The K701/702 were just too bass light for me.

Quote:
Quick question, are the AKG Q701's the same as the AKG K701's? I might give either one of those a try as my next headphone since they supposedly sound similar to the Shure SRH940's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back