++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #8,972 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm deciding on what to buy right now, I'm between the Samsons SR850, or the Superlux HD681 & a sound blaster audigy SE. So, what do you guys think? I'll be using them for gaming, movie/anime watching, music (in that order)

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #8,973 of 29,490

Quote:
jaja yes.

guess I'll go for the AiAiAi or the K272 and the Q701 (that are open). 

Thanks again.

I'm going with the AIAIAI as well. i don't mind EQing, and i want something closed, portable and comfortable that is different. these fit the description, plus i've never had a bass heavy phone before.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #8,974 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I recently purchased a Cowon J3 and I'm looking to get some headphones for it. Essentially I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 25 1s as that's the only portable headphone I know at all. I need something I can bring around easily, PortaPros has worked very well for that so far, can just wear them around my neck when not in use, not sure if the HD25's works for that or not.
Not looked at any IEM though, wondering if I should consider it. Budget is around the price of the HD25s, don't quite want to exceed it. Music I listen to is rock, metal and classical mainly.

Really just looking for advice for portable sound, not intending to get an amp at any point.

Here's a bunch of portables to look at: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

Quote:
Im curious should i get a t50rp save money or get the m50 limited editions?

For home use and if you have a modding desire, the Fostex. If you need somthing for portable use, the M50.

Quote:
Hey,

I need help deciding what headphones to buy.

I need ones that will be good for electronic music, that can handle lots of bass, And that will be good for rock & heavy rock / metal.

Any price range is good for now.

What do you recommend? :)

Beyerdynamic DT990, but you'll want to look into an amp as well.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #8,975 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the input. For me it seems like the HD558 is cheaper than the HD555. In what way are they different? Most people have recommended me the HD555, not the HD558. Why?

How is the K240 compared to the Sennheisers?

The HD555 is cheaper, but also no longer in production so harder to find. The 558 is its replacement.

Soundwise, I would say the Senn ahd AKG are slightly similar, with the AKG having a bit more punch to the low and bottom end and the Senn being more relaxed. The Senn is also easier to drive, while the AKG would like an amp.

Grado  SR80i
Bose OE2 
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2 

can you please share your thoughts regarding the headphones in this list or maybe you can advise something else?
thanx ppl :)

grado: fully open, strong mid/highs
HD25: very strong isolation, punchy lows and highs, portable
pro700: a lot of lows

Quote:
i need an advice.
grado sr60i or sony zx700 for metal music?

Do you want open or closed? That pretty much decides for you.

Quote:
Hey all,

I want to dive into the world of audiophile headphones. I have a pair of old hand-me-down Sony headphones which have (and continue to) serve me faithfully but I feel it is time for an upgrade....

Somethings you might want to know:

Purpose and set up
--------------------
  1. They are for home listening
  2. Set up: .flac -> Xonar Essence STX -> NAD C350 -> Speakers / Headphones

Sound preference
--------------------
using subjective terms, lets say mostly neutral, accurate
  1. Bass? Okay. So long as it is controlled and doesn't sucker punch you in the ears. Think pipe organ, tuba and double bass not a crowded club on a Saturday night.

Genres
--------------------
I like many but who doesnt? For simplicity, lets go with the following, in order:
  1. rock (anything from the 70's!)
  2. hip-hop and electronica if I drink too much coffee
  3. "world music" (what a non-specific genre!)
  4. classical / choral

Budget
--------------------
Say $300-500. For a first foray, the left-hand side might be safer?

Build Quality
--------------------
I VERY much respect a product that was designed for a life time. For treats like these, I despise built-in obsolescence and cost cutting.

Things I have found on this forum
----------------------------------------
The Denon AH-D2000 look like a 'fun' pair
  1. I am worried about their build quality. I dont want to have to wear white gloves to use these.
  2. If I go closed I could tolerate a bit of sound leakage... but if the Denons are very leaky I may as well go open?

The Sennheiser HD 650 look like a good reference pair
  1. I am reluctant to get an open design - mainly because I have never owned a pair
  2. I would be embarrassed by the look on my family's faces if Britney Spears came up on random... "Oops it happened again" - perish the thought... but you get the idea. Im not so keen to have mini-speakers attached to my head. I am experimenting to some degree so I am amenable to being convinced I "wont regret it".

Whilst trawling the forum and researching, these appealed to me but I am not glued to either - though I am leaning on the Denons.
Other recommendations are welcome.

I take it I would need to invest in a decent amp to get the most out of either of these (particularly HD650's). How far can the headphone circuitry of an integrated amp take you? I believe it is not so far?

I live in Australia so some brands are easier to purchase than others. With this in mind I have also found it difficult to find a store with a good range to road test (Sennheiser seem to have an over-representation here?). For this reason, to some degree, it is actually easier for me to average out a consensus than to 'trust my ears'. I also do prefer to buy local when I can (even though that usually incurs an unnecessary premium).

Thanks for your patience and your advice!
Guy

Your current setup should be more than adequte power for most headphones. The D2000 and HD600/650 are both solid choices. I would also highly recommend looking at the Beyerdynamic DT880. It leaks about as much as the Senn, but is very sturdy in build quality. The Denon is probably the weakest in overall build quality.

Quote:
Hello!

Seeking advice between: AKG K702, AKG K 272 HD, Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO, Audio-Tecnica ATM-M50, Grado Prestige Series SR325i and AiAiAi TMA-1. after narrowing down from the trillion of choices, any other suggestion is welcome and can budget up to 500$, but prefer < 300 $.

Mostly to hear with Macbook Pro, iPod with out amp., for now. 

Thank you!

Without amp, your choices are down to M50, SR325, TMA-1, and on the edge maybe the K272. The grado is open, so if you need any sort of isolation this is out. The K272 is very large and not what I would consider portable. The M50 is full size but collapses, and has a good punchy sound. The TMA-1 is small and portable, practically indestructible, with a bass heavy treble-hating sound.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #8,977 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello!

Seeking advice between: AKG K702, AKG K 272 HD, Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO, Audio-Tecnica ATM-M50, Grado Prestige Series SR325i and AiAiAi TMA-1. after narrowing down from the trillion of choices, any other suggestion is welcome and can budget up to 500$, but prefer < 300 $.

Mostly to hear with Macbook Pro, iPod with out amp., for now. 

Thank you!

Without amp, your choices are down to M50, SR325, TMA-1, and on the edge maybe the K272. The grado is open, so if you need any sort of isolation this is out. The K272 is very large and not what I would consider portable. The M50 is full size but collapses, and has a good punchy sound. The TMA-1 is small and portable, practically indestructible, with a bass heavy treble-hating sound.

Thanks! I'm not 100% on the AiAiAi, looking too at the Audio-Tecnica ATH-50M between these too?

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8,980 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,
I wanna ask you-what are the best bass headphones under 100$  except the sony MDR-XB ?

Thank you.

AKG K518 or the larger 181 perhaps?

Quote:

Thanks! I'm not 100% on the AiAiAi, looking too at the Audio-Tecnica ATH-50M between these too?

The difference between the M50 models is just the type of cord. The M50S has a straight cord, the other a coiled one.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #8,981 of 29,490
Sorry, I've started a new thread because  hadn't seen this.
I'm looking for a wireless headphone, and I need good isolation from outside noise.
My limit is 250 - 300 euros.
And I live in Italy.
I've seen Sennheiser RS 170 & RS 180, but these are open back.

What's the best choice?

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #8,983 of 29,490
Any ideas ppl ?

Quote:
Hi everyone

i have asus xonar dg sound card and razer orca headphones, (50% music 25% movies 25% games) at this moment i can buy new headphones in under 200 usd range category. so far my options are

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
Ultrasone HFI-580 S
Fostex T50RP
AKG K 271 MK II
Grado SR-60i
Grado  SR80i
Bose OE2 
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2 

can you please share your thoughts regarding the headphones in this list or maybe you can advise something else?
thanx ppl :)

mainly i do listen to electronic music and hip hop. i'll be using whatever i buy only in font of my computer at my flat, so that means environment will be almost without any loud noises  

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8,984 of 29,490
I listen to all kinds of music, mostly korean pop, and do a lot of gaming.  I recently bought a paid of ATH-AD900s.  It is my first experience with open headphones, and I'm not sure if they are for me.  I am a little disappointed with the low amount of bass and I find that they are pretty loose on my smallish head, while still pushing up against my ears in a slightly uncomfortable manner.
My question for the community is this:  Should I sell these and go for a pair of DT-770s?  Ideally I would want to get a pair and have a listen and decide, but I would need to sell my AD900s first.
Are the DT-770s comfortable for long periods of time?  Also, for mostly being plugged into a computer, which DT-770s are best?  I know relatively little about headphones, I only know that this is the place to find out about this stuff.  Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #8,985 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD555 is cheaper, but also no longer in production so harder to find. The 558 is its replacement.

Soundwise, I would say the Senn ahd AKG are slightly similar, with the AKG having a bit more punch to the low and bottom end and the Senn being more relaxed. The Senn is also easier to drive, while the AKG would like an amp.

Okay, thanks. Have you done the HD58 -> HD598 foam mod? Results?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back