++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #23,028 of 29,490
Quote:
I could use a recommendation. I m looking to purchase my first semi-quality headset for $50-125. I game a fair amount, but it is not shooter games where direction is overly important. I listen to bassy electronic music, so a lot of my needs are exactly what most audiophiles do not want. I will stress one thing that bothers me about almost every headset I've tried on is the build quality. If it is plastic, cheap feeling, and uncomfortable I m not interested. These will be used for long sessions at a time and I hate poor build quality; it rivals on the same importance of sound for most audiophiles. Wireless would be a great perk, but is not a deal killer one way or another. If I have to bump the budget slightly that is fine, but I d really be more inclined to buy something at this budget and most importantly because more than likely I can't try them on.

Someone once posted that DT770 pro have such good directional information that they were accused of cheating. Mad lust envy's gaming headphone roundup also praises them for their positional accuracy.  They're also indestructible and have extremely powerful bass.   It's far too excessive for my taste but might suit yours.  If you use them for music, use the most powerful amp you can find (an old stereo, etc.) because they'll improve dramatically.

oops, just saw that you don't care about positional accuracy.  Never mind. 
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #23,029 of 29,490
Is there a headphone that teaches "sound signature 101 for dummies?"

I'm still on the market for a closed circumaural phone and I come from very cheap IEMs.
At first, I thought I was a basshead-in-denial.  I appreciate a little bit of bass here and there but I realized I easily get tired of it.
Auditioning some headphones, I got to learn about what people sometimes mention here like "sibilance" and "punchy bass."  But that's it.  I also had my first encounter of fatigue.
I'm still wondering about "soundstage" and "roll off" and "warm" and the many other characteristics people mention here.  The definitions are in the glossary but I realized that actually listening to them makes the point more clear.

But for a starter, which type of headphone will give me a bit of audiophile lessons?  The thing is, I'm still discovering what sound signature I like.  I really thought I liked heavy bass.  But this morning I came to like a lot of songs I hated, only to realize I had my EQ stuck at flat.  But I couldn't make assumptions yet since my IEM was a crappy one.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #23,031 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm okay with going a little over my budget. Can you be more specific or offer some more recommendations?

I think it will take more than just a little over your budget to fill all your requirements without compromises.  What you are asking for is a comfortable can that is fast and does bass, mids and treble all well.

Above the CAL! and closest to your budget, maybe the HE-300 on sale for $199 here:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMHE300

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #23,032 of 29,490
Quote:
Is there a headphone that teaches "sound signature 101 for dummies?"

I'm still on the market for a closed circumaural phone and I come from very cheap IEMs.
At first, I thought I was a basshead-in-denial.  I appreciate a little bit of bass here and there but I realized I easily get tired of it.
Auditioning some headphones, I got to learn about what people sometimes mention here like "sibilance" and "punchy bass."  But that's it.  I also had my first encounter of fatigue.
I'm still wondering about "soundstage" and "roll off" and "warm" and the many other characteristics people mention here.  The definitions are in the glossary but I realized that actually listening to them makes the point more clear.

But for a starter, which type of headphone will give me a bit of audiophile lessons?  The thing is, I'm still discovering what sound signature I like.  I really thought I liked heavy bass.  But this morning I came to like a lot of songs I hated, only to realize I had my EQ stuck at flat.  But I couldn't make assumptions yet since my IEM was a crappy one.

A good place to start are the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  The guides will in turn link you to reviews of the cans listed in the guides.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #23,033 of 29,490
Quote:
I think it will take more than just a little over your budget to fill all your requirements without compromises.  What you are asking for is a comfortable can that is fast and does bass, mids and treble all well.

Above the CAL! and closest to your budget, maybe the HE-300 on sale for $199 here:

Thanks, I just ordered them! Will I need an amp?

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #23,034 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I just ordered them! Will I need an amp?

To get the best out of them--yes.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #23,035 of 29,490
Quote:

Someone once posted that DT770 pro have such good directional information that they were accused of cheating. Mad lust envy's gaming headphone roundup also praises them for their positional accuracy.  They're also indestructible and have extremely powerful bass.   It's far too excessive for my taste but might suit yours.  If you use them for music, use the most powerful amp you can find (an old stereo, etc.) because they'll improve dramatically.

oops, just saw that you don't care about positional accuracy.  Never mind. 
tongue.gif

I appreciate it. I will read his review. Directional is nice, but it isn't as much of a game changer for me since I don't play FPS games constantly. I did forget to mention I prefer a closed head phone.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #23,036 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone!, I'm looking for a set of headphones and I've been looking at all these different brands. 
I've chosen to get headphones which sit towards the ear, not ones that will cover there (e.g. ATH-50Ms).
I listen to Indie music, if that helps with finding a more accurate result.

- In terms of aesthetics as well, I want them to look nice and the performance should be reasonable too, it doesn't have to be the best in both categories.
- I can't stand ugly products or under performing products, I like balance. 

My budget is around $240. 

Thanks! - N

Open - HD598
Closed - Pro750

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #23,037 of 29,490
      Hey everyone. I have been using the Sennheiser hd 428 for about a year now, and I just got the Sennheiser hd 598 headphones, and I'm very disappointed. I don't know the best way to describe it, but the HD 428's have more of a "full" or "warm" sound and i can feel the bass on them. With the HD 598's i can hear the bass but i can't feel it. They also sound as if i am listening to the music from a long way away, or in other words, very flat. My guess as to the reason for the difference in bass is that the 428's are closed back and the 598's are an open back headphone; but that's just my guess.
      For more information, I listen to trance, techno, and hardstyle; basically all varieties of electric dance music. Additionally, i have no amp, and I am plugging them straight into my computer. Also, I haven't had the 598's for that long so they aren't burned in; i don't know how much of a difference it would make though.
      The thing that turned me onto the HD 598's in the first place was the comfort of them. I really like the velour pads aswell as the tightness or clamp of the headphones. I wasn't looking for much of an upgrade in sound as i was for comfort. My 428's sound alright to me but they are really loose, which is why i liked the added tightness on the 598's.

So i was hoping that someone could give me suggestions on what to buy next since i will be returning the HD 598's. I was looking into the Ultrasone hfi-580 or hfi-780, but I'm unsure about the comfort of them. Altough, from what I have read, they won't have the bass problems i was having with the 598's. I am trying to findheadphones that are similar in style to the sennheisers. For example, i like the angle and shape of the ear cups that are on most sennheiser headphones; such as the hd 428 and 598's (links).
http://multiply.com/mu/gogadgets/image/2/photos/64/500x500/29/SENNHEISER-HD598.jpg?et=gOBbszfsc8IQvg1nhDN2ZQ&nmid=274628053
http://www.topreviewshop.com/graphics/sennheiser_hd_428_side.JPG
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/sennheiser-hd428-1-lg.jpg
Velour pads aren't essential, but... they are really nice! From reading what i have written down it looks like i am dreaming of a headphone with the size and shape of the Sennheiser HD 428's, and the comfort and clamp of the HD 598's, but with the sound of a headphone geared towards electronic music like the Ultrasones. Lastly, i am only willing to spend up to $250.

Sorry if i was confusing, or ignorant about headphones, but Thank You for any help or advice you have.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #23,038 of 29,490
Quote:
 trance, techno, and hardstyle; basically all varieties of electric dance music

Yep, the HD598 isn't all that great for those genres. A warmer, closed can should be better. Highly recommend the HFI-580. If you're willing to spend a little more, the HFI-2400. Comfort is so-so. Certainly not as good as the HD598, which is known as one of the most comfy headphones around, but still quite good for 2-3 hours. Also look into the DT770/80 and the DT990.

Quote:
I am trying to findheadphones that are similar in style to the sennheisers. For example, i like the angle and shape of the ear cups that are on most sennheiser headphones; such as the hd 428 and 598's (links).

Is this because you find it more comfortable? Or more attractive? Unfortunately you won't find that design anywhere else... but most senn's don't have the kind of bass impact you're looking for.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #23,039 of 29,490
Quote:
      Hey everyone. I have been using the Sennheiser hd 428 for about a year now, and I just got the Sennheiser hd 598 headphones, and I'm very disappointed. I don't know the best way to describe it, but the HD 428's have more of a "full" or "warm" sound and i can feel the bass on them. With the HD 598's i can hear the bass but i can't feel it. They also sound as if i am listening to the music from a long way away, or in other words, very flat. My guess as to the reason for the difference in bass is that the 428's are closed back and the 598's are an open back headphone; but that's just my guess.
      For more information, I listen to trance, techno, and hardstyle; basically all varieties of electric dance music. Additionally, i have no amp, and I am plugging them straight into my computer. Also, I haven't had the 598's for that long so they aren't burned in; i don't know how much of a difference it would make though.
      The thing that turned me onto the HD 598's in the first place was the comfort of them. I really like the velour pads aswell as the tightness or clamp of the headphones. I wasn't looking for much of an upgrade in sound as i was for comfort. My 428's sound alright to me but they are really loose, which is why i liked the added tightness on the 598's.

So i was hoping that someone could give me suggestions on what to buy next since i will be returning the HD 598's. I was looking into the Ultrasone hfi-580 or hfi-780, but I'm unsure about the comfort of them. Altough, from what I have read, they won't have the bass problems i was having with the 598's. I am trying to findheadphones that are similar in style to the sennheisers. For example, i like the angle and shape of the ear cups that are on most sennheiser headphones; such as the hd 428 and 598's (links).
http://multiply.com/mu/gogadgets/image/2/photos/64/500x500/29/SENNHEISER-HD598.jpg?et=gOBbszfsc8IQvg1nhDN2ZQ&nmid=274628053
http://www.topreviewshop.com/graphics/sennheiser_hd_428_side.JPG
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/sennheiser-hd428-1-lg.jpg
Velour pads aren't essential, but... they are really nice! From reading what i have written down it looks like i am dreaming of a headphone with the size and shape of the Sennheiser HD 428's, and the comfort and clamp of the HD 598's, but with the sound of a headphone geared towards electronic music like the Ultrasones. Lastly, i am only willing to spend up to $250.

Sorry if i was confusing, or ignorant about headphones, but Thank You for any help or advice you have.

The Ultrasone Pro 750 (closed) or HiFi 2400 (open)--you'll need to amp them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #23,040 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for headphones around the $200-300 range. For your convenience I'll probably grab them off this site: (probably the only decent headphone store in my country)

http://headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1

I don't mind if they are open or closed, and I plan to use them with my computer or with my Cowon S9.

I generally listen to downtempo electronic (including dubstep, ambient, house etc), alternative rock (similar to Radiohead), post-rock and quite a lot of hip-hop. So basically I listen fairly slow music with a lot of drums, bass, distortion and vocals.

I've done a little bit of research and so far the AD900, K242HD and DT880pro seem to suit my needs most. But you guys know a lot more than me and that's why I'm here!

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back