++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #22,996 of 29,490
Quote:
Why would you recommend the Beyer? Are there any distinct advantages over the others?

As of right now I'm between the DT880 and the HE-300.
What amps are recommended for these headphones?

Thanks for the help! :)

It doesn't have distinct advantages over the others, but it's not especially bad or great at anything either, except maybe bass texture and extension, yea, probably the best of all you've listed when it comes to bass. But, it's definitely not the best for jazz and acoustic, those would be HD598, HD600 and K701. It has thin and recessed mids compared to those headphones, so vocals and instruments will never sound full or very satisfying, at least in my opinion. K701 is far more enjoyable for that purpose, I can definitely say that. And HD598 is probably even more enjoyable.  Now, as for metal, I don't listen to it that much, so I won't talk about it, but I'd guess again that HD598 and HD600 would be the best for that.  Overall, I would not recommend you the Beyers, unless you really want a headphone that is good at everything, but not especially impressive at anything.  And not to mention you DO need a proper amp for it, and if your budget is 300$, then don't even consider them. Same goes for HD600's and K701's. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #22,997 of 29,490
Quote:
they are currently plugged into my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs so I am not sure if it is because of that sound card or something.

That is a problem. You're talking about a sound card that was not all that great even when it came out almost 10 years ago, let alone today, when its probably no better than the cheapest Asus you can buy.  You need a better source for HFi-780's.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #22,998 of 29,490
Quote:

It doesn't have distinct advantages over the others, but it's not especially bad or great at anything either, except maybe bass texture and extension, yea, probably the best of all you've listed when it comes to bass. But, it's definitely not the best for jazz and acoustic, those would be HD598, HD600 and K701. It has thin and recessed mids compared to those headphones, so vocals and instruments will never sound full or very satisfying, at least in my opinion. K701 is far more enjoyable for that purpose, I can definitely say that. And HD598 is probably even more enjoyable.  Now, as for metal, I don't listen to it that much, so I won't talk about it, but I'd guess again that HD598 and HD600 would be the best for that.  Overall, I would not recommend you the Beyers, unless you really want a headphone that is good at everything, but not especially impressive at anything.  And not to mention you DO need a proper amp for it, and if your budget is 300$, then don't even consider them. Same goes for HD600's and K701's. 

$300 is my budget for the headphones only. I was going to try and use the headphones for a month or so until I have enough money to buy an amp. Metal is my main genre, I would say it makes up 75% of what I listen to. What does everyone recommend for this genre? I'm still leaning towards the DT880 or HE-300. Any thoughts?

@KG Jag, Thanks for the links, however the HE-400 is slightly outside my budget. 

Thanks for the help!!!

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #22,999 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there Hi-fiers
I am seeking some help with my new headphones.

So I have just purchased my first pair of cans after stating what I plan to use it for and the type of music I listen to from the recommendations I received, I purchased the Ultrasone HFI-780.  Now I don't know where I went wrong, when I listen to them and apart from the noise cancelling I don't hear anything that stands out to me, I spend most of my time with ear buds in my ears at work and then come home to speakers and or a cheap headset I use for gaming. 

So I would think I should be hearing a different as recommended I tried listening to good source material so some of my music cds and watched a DvD movie and still I don't hear any difference so I am not sure where I went wrong, they are currently plugged into my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs so I am not sure if it is because of that sound card or something.

I own some Coby 150w 5.1 speakers a simple set up and when I listened to my friends AV40s which were only plugged directly his Laptop I heard a clear difference between those and my speakers which is one of the reasons that motivated me to get better quality sound but now with these headphones I am feeling rather unsatisfied.

A more modern sound card should improve the audio quality over your current Audigy 2 ZS.
Try an Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) or DGX ($45, PCI-E) sound card.
The DG/DGX comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby headphone 5.1 surround sound.

There is also the new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (PCI-E) sound card, $105.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #23,000 of 29,490
Quote:
$300 is my budget for the headphones only. I was going to try and use the headphones for a month or so until I have enough money to buy an amp. Metal is my main genre, I would say it makes up 75% of what I listen to. What does everyone recommend for this genre? I'm still leaning towards the DT880 or HE-300. Any thoughts?

@KG Jag, Thanks for the links, however the HE-400 is slightly outside my budget. 

Thanks for the help!!!

Your best bet would be Grado SR-325i I think. DT880 is just too smooth for metal in my opinion. SR325 is the best of all headphones for metal for your budget, and its very good for acoustic and jazz as well, and it not very amp hungry.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #23,001 of 29,490
Quote:

Your best bet would be Grado SR-325i I think. DT880 is just too smooth for metal in my opinion. SR325 is the best of all headphones for metal for your budget, and its very good for acoustic and jazz as well, and it not very amp hungry.

I have heard the Grados aren't very comfortable, is this true? (Also, the foam ear surrounds just look cheap to me.)
I wish I could tryout all these headphones, it would make it a heck of a lot easier! Haha!

I do intend to buy an amp, what amps do people recommend around $100-$200?

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #23,002 of 29,490
Quote:

That is a problem. You're talking about a sound card that was not all that great even when it came out almost 10 years ago, let alone today, when its probably no better than the cheapest Asus you can buy.  You need a better source for HFi-780's.

Okay so now that you have pointed out most likely what is the problem what are my options? Someone was telling me to get a PAV2 and connect it to the Sound Blaster another recommended getting a Fiio E10 and others were recommending a superior soundcard or at least one with a headphone amp.

Quote:
A more modern sound card should improve the audio quality over your current Audigy 2 ZS.
Try an Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) or DGX ($45, PCI-E) sound card.
The DG/DGX comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby headphone 5.1 surround sound.

There is also the new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (PCI-E) sound card, $105.

I am actually considering the Titanium H-Fi HD that you had recommended to me Purple.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #23,003 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the help!!!

The SR-325is is an interesting choice.  It's the top of the SR line, very efficient and will not require (but could be improved with) a good amp.  It's weakness is its very pronounced highs, which some hear as harsh.  If you go in that direction, get the Alessandro MS-2.  It's based on the SR 325is, but has toned down highs.  Another option is to get a tube or hybrid amp that will take the edge off treble of the 325is. 

Also make sure that you are OK with the comfort of the greater Grado family.  Many find it to be problematic.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #23,004 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I have heard the Grados aren't very comfortable, is this true? (Also, the foam ear surrounds just look cheap to me.)
I wish I could tryout all these headphones, it would make it a heck of a lot easier! Haha!

I do intend to buy an amp, what amps do people recommend around $100-$200?

Yes--comfort is an issue for many (but after some time to get use to them--not for me).

Are you talking desktop or portable amp?

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #23,005 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes--comfort is an issue for many (but after some time to get use to them--not for me).

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, I hate on ear headphones. I don't think I would be able to get used to them, thus I'm still between the HE-300 and DT-880. Lol

I would like to get a desktop Amp. :)

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #23,006 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, I hate on ear headphones. I don't think I would be able to get used to them, thus I'm still between the HE-300 and DT-880. Lol

I would like to get a desktop Amp. :)

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Unfortunately, you are one day late for getting this normally good value for only $99 shipped:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMEF2A

These new offerings from Schiit look promising:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac

There's also the O2.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #23,007 of 29,490
Quote:
Unfortunately, you are one day late for getting this normally good value for only $99 shipped:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMEF2A

These new offerings from Schiit look promising:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac

There's also the O2.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone familiar with the HE-300 and the DT880?
Of the two, which would be recommended for Metal/Rock/Jazz and some dubstep?

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #23,008 of 29,490
Hi guys! I'm looking for headphones in the $75-$125 range and am not sure where to look or what my best option would be. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: The best pair of headphones I've owned was a pair of Bose Triport OEs. I thought they were great, but that's probably because I've never owned another pair of audiophile headphones. I listen to mostly hip-hop, jazz, and experimental and electronic music. I don't have a preference between on-ear and over-ear, but comfort is very important because I will be wearing them for long periods of time.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #23,010 of 29,490
What would you guys recommend between the JDS labs cmoybb 2.03 and the Schiit magni for driving ATH-M50's? I understand one is portable and one is desktop but the cmoybb would be plugged in and used at a desktop as well. I would be using this mainly for a vinyl record setup so it would be plugged mainly into my phono preamp, not very much DAC use most likey, but maybe occasionaly (I have a xonar dx soundcard, which will suffice for my digital music needs). Anyways, thoughts? Reviews for the cmoybb are very good and it would be customized by the builder for my headphones, which would be nice. Early reviews for the magni are also pretty good. Also, if you have other amp suggestions in the $100 and less category I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Edit: I also should mention I am currently using my M-audio AV-40 active speakers to drive my headphones, it is aright but it leaves something to be desired (mainly volume and bass). While I was at my parents for the holiday's I used my dads 1990's (maybe late 80's?) Sony reciever and it sounded really nice and loud and the bass was very loud yet pronounced and not at all muddy. I'm looking for sound like that. He said I could have it but I don't have any room left in my apartment 
frown.gif
. I listen to rock, classic rock, some electronic pop, and I go on hip-hop and rap streaks every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back