++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #18,286 of 29,490
Quote:
Do the 661 have a good bass? That's nice for gaming. I think im just going to order the 661. Haven't had ANY experiences with headphones so far, so they will always sound great.
The Panasonics are a bit out of my budget, but thanks for the suggestion.

As I said i havent heard them but heres a comprehensive review from      keanex: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577979/review-superlux-hd661-superlux-did-it-again

I hope you enjoy what ever you buy   
darthsmile.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #18,287 of 29,490
Quote:

What about the Ultrasones hfi 580? Would they sound good without any amp. Was reading a thread about them and they seem to fit my taste. What's the difference between the Ultrasone 580 and 780. Also has anyone else tried the Sens hd 380 and find them boring. Or is it just me:/

The 580 is a basshead can and would work fine without an amp.

From one of the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread:

"Ultrasone HFI-580, $120-$190. Folds for portability, good build quality, and decent isolation. Fun, clean, V shaped sound. Deep punchy clean bass, slightly recessed mids, bright, sometimes fatiguing, highs. Some sibilance."

"Ultrasone HFI-780, $155-$250. Good isolation, iffy build quality, easy to drive. Strong clear bass, slightly forward mids, bright highs."

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #18,288 of 29,490
Quote:
What would be a good upgrade from the Bowers and Wilkins P5s? They need to be comfortable. I listen to just about everything from dubstep to Southern Gospel. I was thinking somewhere in the $600 range.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #18,289 of 29,490
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)? No

What equipment will be powering these cans? iPod Touch or Laptop Will you be using an amp? No

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting  into these cans? Mostly Alac and aac

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? I'm a bit of a basshead, but I like clear mids and highs

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  Rarely if ever.   If so, in what way & with what equipment? Riding in a car connected to my ipod.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #18,290 of 29,490
Aug 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #18,292 of 29,490
The 840's are a little bit over my price range, would a 440 and an e6 amp be a good alternative? im not sure if the 440's are as good as the 840 for classical/instrumental and jazz. if not is there an alternative? if the 840's are worth the money i dont mind buying them since they are very well reviewed

EDIT: How do the ultrasone hfi-580 match up to what im looking for?

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #18,293 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)? No

What equipment will be powering these cans? iPod Touch or Laptop Will you be using an amp? No

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting  into these cans? Mostly Alac and aac

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? I'm a bit of a basshead, but I like clear mids and highs

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  Rarely if ever.   If so, in what way & with what equipment? Riding in a car connected to my ipod.

You might want to check out the Audio Technica ATH-ES10.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #18,294 of 29,490
OK
I finally bought the Grado SR80i
They're on their way and I'm quite excited but... I am curious about something.

I am going ot use this headphones with my iPod (I'll buy another pair of closed cans for gaming... when money is available hehe) but I am wondering. Do I need an amp to enjoy the music in my iPod or will the SR80i do their magic without the amp?

Thanx in advance :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #18,295 of 29,490
Quote:
OK
I finally bought the Grado SR80i
They're on their way and I'm quite excited but... I am curious about something.

I am going ot use this headphones with my iPod (I'll buy another pair of closed cans for gaming... when money is available hehe) but I am wondering. Do I need an amp to enjoy the music in my iPod or will the SR80i do their magic without the amp?

Thanx in advance :)

The 80 does not need an amp.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #18,297 of 29,490
I've been considering getting new headphones primarily for gaming but also for general listening. From what I've been reading the HM5 and KNS8400 good sound stage for closed headphones, but I'm also looking into the AD700s, which seem highly regarded for gaming. I'm wondering about whether the sound stage of the closed options is good enough to compete with the likes of the AD700, or if the AD700 or similar open options are the obvious choice here.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #18,298 of 29,490
Greetings!

Long story short, I owned the HD 555's for about a year and a half and loved them until my bunny destroyed the cord and I decided to gift them to someone and try a bit of an upgrade. I have a budget of $250, and was looking at the HD 558/598, but was mainly wondering whether the 598s are "worth" the $70 price increase. Also briefly considered something like the HE-300, but I don't know. I don't have an amp and will be listening through my desktop's motherboard. I listen to almost exclusively Vocaloid music (for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1vgZRT2K4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf4D6e11omU), and a select few English artists like the Script and One Republic. Are there better headphones for these kinds of music in this price range? Would also be a plus if they're decent for gaming. Also willing to consider an entry level headphone/amp combo if it's under $250.

Thanks kindly!

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #18,299 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been considering getting new headphones primarily for gaming but also for general listening. From what I've been reading the HM5 and KNS8400 good sound stage for closed headphones, but I'm also looking into the AD700s, which seem highly regarded for gaming. I'm wondering about whether the sound stage of the closed options is good enough to compete with the likes of the AD700, or if the AD700 or similar open options are the obvious choice here.

Have you read the gaming guide that is linked in the opening post of this thread?

BTW:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #18,300 of 29,490
Quote:
Greetings!

Long story short, I owned the HD 555's for about a year and a half and loved them until my bunny destroyed the cord and I decided to gift them to someone and try a bit of an upgrade. I have a budget of $250, and was looking at the HD 558/598, but was mainly wondering whether the 598s are "worth" the $70 price increase. Also briefly considered something like the HE-300, but I don't know. I don't have an amp and will be listening through my desktop's motherboard. I listen to almost exclusively Vocaloid music (for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1vgZRT2K4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf4D6e11omU), and a select few English artists like the Script and One Republic. Are there better headphones for these kinds of music in this price range? Would also be a plus if they're decent for gaming. Also willing to consider an entry level headphone/amp combo if it's under $250.

Thanks kindly!

If you liked the 555, you will love the 558/598.  Get the 598, especially if you plan do any serious gaming.  Both are very efficient, but there is no way to guarantee that they will be properly driven by on board audio of computer X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back