++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #18,257 of 29,490
Thanks KG Jag and saxophone. Forgot I didn't mention my budget ($400 or less)...with that in mind, the HD25-1 IIs are just not right for what I am listening to I guess? I will definitely check out the Shure and KRK when I am at B&H soon. Appreciate the advice!

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #18,258 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks KG Jag and saxophone. Forgot I didn't mention my budget ($400 or less)...with that in mind, HD25-1 IIs are a just bit much for what I want? Regardless I will definitely check out the Shure and KRK when I am at B&H soon. Appreciate the advice!

Unless you're looking at Grados, Sonys, Beyer DT 1350 and a few others, you almost certainly need to include an amp into or as part of your budget.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #18,260 of 29,490
Quote:
Are Grado 225i's worth the $120 extra from the sr60is? The sr60i's can be modded in such a way where they sound comparable I have heard.

I don't mess with my cans in a way that will void my warranty.  Going on from there--the 225 has a better cable and very closely matched drivers.  You can add a better cable to the 60, but at what price?  You can't perform the driver match.  There is a reason (or more than one) why the 225 is widely regarded as the sweet spot in the SR line.

My question back to you is: are the modded 60's equal to or better than the 80's or MS1, which cost no more than $20 & $30 more, respectively?

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #18,261 of 29,490
I'll try to improve my last post a bit.
the reason for the 90$ cable is purley because of the "kevlar" part...(ok,mabye some sound,sound is nice)

I eat cables,they brake.often..:/ on my 4 cable now,already fixed it once. and now it's bust again :frowning2:

but then again new (used) phones for the sort same price is also tempting,but will I brake 'em after 45 sec?

choises are kind of narrowed down to KRK 8400 or beyer DT 250.
if I go the new phones route I wanna try full-size,
HD-25 is the only decent phone I owned.

and, almost forgot. think portable, not size or looks,
but able to sound at least ok straigth out of an samsung android
,and at least good (ie, better than HD-25) whit a small amp (ie fiio e6)

so in order of importantness.?
*ruggedness..cant stress that enough..I brake stuff :/
*sound
*full-size

my range of music is diverse, but ranges from jazz, to trash metal to dubstep.

should I just stay whit my trusted senns and go for the cable,pray it dont brake and be happy,or sell my cable-less senns to a frind and spend the cash on new phones?
or live whit portapros and save up for those beautiful new denons? :p

sorry for this, I'm just splitt..need help..
:p

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #18,262 of 29,490
Quote:
Unless you're looking at Grados, Sonys, Beyer DT 1350 and a few others, you almost certainly need to include an amp into or as part of your budget.

I forgot to mention I'm kinda new to this, too.
biggrin.gif

So I need to get an amp. Does the amp I should choose depend on which pair of headphones I end up with from the current list I'm going to check out? The amp can be outside of a $300ish headphone budget I guess.

RE the Senns, even including an amp, are they just not something to consider anyway? I honestly don't know if they should be in my 'try list' at all.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #18,263 of 29,490
I think that I might just jump the gun on the sr 225i's because I would have a higher quality headphone for what I listen to and I wont have to modify anything. One quick question, how do the Alessandro ms2s compare to the sr225is? And if they are more recommended, where could I pick some up?

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #18,264 of 29,490
Quote:
I think that I might just jump the gun on the sr 225i's because I would have a higher quality headphone for what I listen to and I wont have to modify anything. One quick question, how do the Alessandro ms2s compare to the sr225is? And if they are more recommended, where could I pick some up?

The MS1i normally costs about $110 shipped.  It is generally considered better than the 80 and almost the equal of the 125. 

The significantly more expensive MS2 is based on the 325 and is probably the closest thing to a straight upgrade of the 225.  The MS2 offers better build quality, better (thicker) cable, better detail & clarity, better and more extended bass than the 225.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #18,265 of 29,490
Quote:
I forgot to mention I'm kinda new to this, too.
biggrin.gif

So I need to get an amp. Does the amp I should choose depend on which pair of headphones I end up with from the current list I'm going to check out? The amp can be outside of a $300ish headphone budget I guess.

RE the Senns, even including an amp, are they just not something to consider anyway? I honestly don't know if they should be in my 'try list' at all.

Here's the short story version.  The Senn you are considering is made for use from portable devices.  It is considered to be a top performer in this segment (within your stated budget), topped by the Beyer DT 1350.

Once you get into full sized headphones, they are generally designed to be used primarily with different, usually more powerful, equipment.  With the exceptions I mentioned in my earlier post, most headphones street priced above about $150 need some kind of amping to perform to their capability (e.g. the Utrasone Pro 750 loses its bass) and even to be heard at all (e.g. 600 Ohm and most planars).  The buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread speak to the ability of the listed cans to perform with or without an amp.

Once you determined that you need an amp, you can pick between portable and desktop amps.  Desktop amps tend to provide more power.  Matching the best amps & amp/dac from among those that will drive it to certain headphones is a whole separate topic.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #18,266 of 29,490
Hi,

My experience with headphones so far:
After having stretched out the clamp and covered the pads with some socks, I now can stand my ATH-M50s for about 4h, instead of the usual 30min.
They are however still too uncomfortable to use everyday for many hours, so I need to replace them.

I also own a pair of Yuin Pk3 earbuds which I love for their confort and balanced, natural sound which makes them simply disappear.
The problem with them, is I still can ear external noise, which inhibits the sense of immersion.
Despite not as detailed as the ATH-M50, nor so deep in bass extension/quantity, I find them less distracting/fatiguing to ear for long periods.

I hate the V shaped sound signature of the Sennheiser CX-300, and they make my inner ears hurt after a while.
I find IEM very inconvenient and uncomfortable for everyday so they are out of question.

New Cans Constraints:
- Should fit for long hours in big ears which go back like this one: http://i.imgur.com/epUPG.jpg
- For indoor use, but enough isolation to block slightly noisy street sound.
- They should play fine directly from a MacBook Air, maybe getting an Apogee Duet 2 in the future.
- Maximum around 300€
- Hate V shape signature, like neutral/natural.
- To listen mostly to Jazz, Electronic, Minimal, Classic, Downtempo

Is there anything which fits these characteristics?

The ones I've scoped so far are:

- Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm
- Senheiser HD 595 
- Denon AHD2000
- AKG Q701/K550

What would you get?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #18,267 of 29,490
Quote:
In simple terms a hybrid amp is a combination of tubes and solid state.  So yes--a hyrid amp will have and come with at least one tube.  Look at the three amps in the Schiit line for an example of each type.

There are a number of amps (and receivers for that matter) that push both headphones and speakers.

Okay, thanks. I forgot to include the fact that I do listen to some classical music, would the Shure's do okay in this area?

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #18,268 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll try to improve my last post a bit.
the reason for the 90$ cable is purley because of the "kevlar" part...(ok,mabye some sound,sound is nice)

I eat cables,they brake.often..:/ on my 4 cable now,already fixed it once. and now it's bust again :frowning2:

but then again new (used) phones for the sort same price is also tempting,but will I brake 'em after 45 sec?

choises are kind of narrowed down to KRK 8400 or beyer DT 250.
if I go the new phones route I wanna try full-size,
HD-25 is the only decent phone I owned.

and, almost forgot. think portable, not size or looks,
but able to sound at least ok straigth out of an samsung android
,and at least good (ie, better than HD-25) whit a small amp (ie fiio e6)

so in order of importantness.?
*ruggedness..cant stress that enough..I brake stuff :/
*sound
*full-size

my range of music is diverse, but ranges from jazz, to trash metal to dubstep.

should I just stay whit my trusted senns and go for the cable,pray it dont brake and be happy,or sell my cable-less senns to a frind and spend the cash on new phones?
or live whit portapros and save up for those beautiful new denons? :p

sorry for this, I'm just splitt..need help..
:p

You need to get the Vmoda M80 if you want durability. They feel indestructible. They also have 2 detachable cables should you accidentally break one (or both) which can be easily replaced. A little higher than your price range based upon the other main choices you listed, but if you want durability, portability, great sound, and even great looks, then check out the Vmoda M-80. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #18,269 of 29,490
Guys, real fast, since I'll be buying a new headphone in 2 days.

I was really sure of getting a HD558 for my needs. Mostly gaming. I thought of it the perfect match for me at that price range.

But... I just looked at Amazon, and I sat a DT990 PRO (250 Ohms) for 200 dollars. Only 15 dollars more than the HD558. And that got me thinking.

The DT990 seems way expensiver than the HD558.

Mad Lust Envy's guide shows that the HD598 outrates the DT990 PRO version. But does the PRO outrates the HD558? Or Since the HD558 is quite close to the HD598, it is still better? Also, on the "Holy Grail of Gaming" thread, the guy says the DT880 is the "best" he tested, outrating even the AD700. That's what got me thinking about the DT990.

What would you guys recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back