++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #17,431 of 29,490
Quote:

What don't you like about the E10? Does it drive the DT770/250 loud enough?

it's very loud, but just sounds different when im using my friend's dacport LX+ graham slee solo, but thats definitely out of my budget, my budget just around $300.

my plan is i wanna keep using the E10 as a dac and using another amp. and im between two choice, novo or national. or any other advice? 

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #17,432 of 29,490
Quote:

it's very loud, but just sounds different when im using my friend's dacport LX+ graham slee solo, but thats definitely out of my budget, my budget just around $300.

my plan is i wanna keep using the E10 as a dac and using another amp. and im between two choice, novo or national. or any other advice? 

Its unlikely that the E10 DAC + a portable amp can duplicate the sound of the Dacport LX + Graham Slee Solo which are pretty high end products (and WAY more expensive). You might try getting thoughts from other 770/880/990 owners in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Edit-- My bad, for some reason I was thinking the Novo and National were portable amps. The Novo is likely a little better and the one I would go with especially if you really liked the Slee Solo.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #17,433 of 29,490
Quote:

Its unlikely that the E10 DAC + a portable amp can duplicate the sound of the Dacport LX + Graham Slee Solo which are pretty high end products (and WAY more expensive). You might try getting thoughts from other 770/880/990 owners in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Edit-- My bad, for some reason I was thinking the Novo and National were portable amps. The Novo is likely a little better and the one I would go with especially if you really liked the Slee Solo.

i dont want to duplicate that high end sound, i just wanna buy a suitable and better amp for my cans, because i think the fiio e10 amp section is not so good, because a month ago i have DIY cmoy and its sounds better than e10 amp. but its a great dac and i thought its the best dac under $100. 

yeah all my friend also recommend novo for me, thanks a lot devhen

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #17,434 of 29,490
Quote:
Where do I begin, I've been searching for months for a great sounding pair of headphones. Countless hours spent watching youtube reviews and scrolling google have left me confused as to what type of headphones I want.

I have come across a couple headphones I am interested in:  AKG 495nc, AKG 490nc, Audio Techinica ath m50, bowers and wilkins P5

Price range: 200-350

Music: Drum and bass, Trance, progressive house.

I love clarity in my songs and I'm not a fan of over powered bass. Portability,durability and comfort are also important to me (I listen to music for at least 3hours a day,I take my headphones everywhere) 

I'm very new to high end headphones, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

my friend bought some akgs and these aren't so portable as in soundwise you need a really good amp to get akgs going . Audiotechnicas are pretty good from what i hear and can fit your needs because you listen to mainly electronic music and bassy.. and dont go blow $300 on first pair of headphones. because a $150 can sound just as good as a $300 because of the type of music you listen to. Drum and bass and trance and progressive house isn't that difficult to drive. I recommend sennheiser hd 25-1 II, v-modas are a perfect first pair and you can save like $100  and i hear they are perfect for on the go. and the audio technicas. also to bring out the full potential of the headphones, you have to buy a good amp. i heard cmoy homemade amps are amazing . i just bought fred fred 2004 - 3 channel cmoy amp - rechargable from ebay for like $140 for my dt1350s. or if you dont feel like paying that much just get jds labs ones for $60.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #17,435 of 29,490
Aright, so I've narrowed down my choices to a few. I'm looking for a pair of cans for home use which includes gaming and listening to music, as well as using them for outside use as well for whenever I go out and want to listen to some music.
I've narrowed down my choices to:

Shure SRH440

AKG K240 Studio (Not MKII and these kind of stretch my budget)

KRK KNS 6400

Brainwavz HM5

How would you guys rate these in terms of sound quality, portability, comfort, and dependence on amping.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #17,437 of 29,490
Quote:
Aright, so I've narrowed down my choices to a few. I'm looking for a pair of cans for home use which includes gaming and listening to music, as well as using them for outside use as well for whenever I go out and want to listen to some music.
I've narrowed down my choices to:

Shure SRH440

AKG K240 Studio (Not MKII and these kind of stretch my budget)

KRK KNS 6400

Brainwavz HM5

How would you guys rate these in terms of sound quality, portability, comfort, and dependence on amping.

The Brainwavz HM5 are good headphones, but maybe too bulky for carrying around.
I have the KRK KNS 8400, better designed for carrying around, used ones are under $100 on eBay. and a few internet sellers.
AKG K240 series are semi-open, so lets in all the outside noise, but good in that in public you can hear a car coming out you.
Never used Shures.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #17,438 of 29,490
Quote:
I made a thread but I got no replies, so I'll try posting here.

What full sized headphone can give me a sound closest to my Etymotic Research ER-4P?

Thanks

Quote:
Budget for headphone is $400USD. I don't mind open headphones. I will buy a headphone amplifier that is suited for the headphone afterwards.

The Etymotic ER-4P has a very flat frequency response and is very detailed.

My musical tastes range from classical to death metal. But most of it is jazz fusion, rock and classical.

Agreed on the AKGs perhaps, but the Beyer 880s have bass.  Same thing cannot be said of the Etymotic, compared to many full size cans they are anemic in the bass.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #17,439 of 29,490
Quote:
KG, Kerry - thanks for your input.

Kerry:  I don't mind the Sony style, save for the awful ear pads that are the same material that's currently flaking off of my MDR-V150s.  At $100 for the MDR-7506, I shouldn't have to compromise on that.

I'll look into a sound card, but for the money, I'd rather have a 30lb piece of vintage awesomeness.  Still keeping my options open, though.

KG:  Thanks for your input on AKG's lower-mid range quality.  I'll keep it in mind, but I suspect the in comparing the build quality between those and the JVC cans, the AKGs might still come out ahead, albiet by not as much as I prevoiusly thought. 

Beyers are a bit out of my price range, but I did eye the DT770 briefly.

My main concern is that I'm looking at headphones that match my musical interests, and hopefully someone can give me a good comparison of the sound difference betewwn the HARX-900ss and the AKG 271s.

I think KG is steering you in the right direction.  This older review might help put the AKG sound into perspective.  The older 271s was my go to can for a number of years, yet in hindsight they really did not have much real low bass, just look at one of the freq charts on them and you will see.  I moved over to the Shure 840s which gave me more real bass, decent mids, and a little extra warmth in the upper bass which does not hurt when listening at lower levels, just not as refined as the 271s in the mids or lower treble.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/128206/my-sealed-comparison-ath-900-beyer-250-250-akg-271s

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #17,440 of 29,490
Quote:
The Brainwavz HM5 are good headphones, but maybe too bulky for carrying around.
I have the KRK KNS 8400, better designed for carrying around, used ones are under $100 on eBay. and a few internet sellers.
AKG K240 series are semi-open, so lets in all the outside noise, but good in that in public you can hear a car coming out you.
Never used Shures.

I've asked this before, but how bulky are they actually (the HM5's)? Do the AKG K240's leak a lot of noise? I can pick up the KRK 8400's for about $140 on ebay incl. shipping, but what are the chances of me getting a fake pair?

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #17,441 of 29,490
Quote:

I have DT770/250, but im currently using fiio e10 for the amp. any recommended amp that have good sinergy with DT770/250?
my friend said graham slee novo is good, how about ALO national? which one is better?  or there is any other good amp? my budget is around $300

La Figaro 336 classic.  about $300 and you will need another $25 for better tubes, but very good sound for the price.  Works brilliantly with 250 ohm cans.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #17,442 of 29,490
Quote:
I've asked this before, but how bulky are they actually (the HM5's)? Do the AKG K240's leak a lot of noise? I can pick up the KRK 8400's for about $140 on ebay incl. shipping, but what are the chances of me getting a fake pair?

For $9.99 more including shipping you can get them on Amazon from Sam Ash, very likely genuine since Sam Ash is one of the largest pro audio stores in NYC.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #17,443 of 29,490
Quote:

Earlier this week the 8400 was under $120 at Amazon.  They are "boring" moderately priced studio cans and therefore not likely to be a target for knock-offs.

Fellow Head-Fi thread starter's picture of the HM5:

b16d1044_DSCN0865.jpeg

Link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603245/brainwavz-hm5s-are-here-unboxing-and-impressions

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #17,445 of 29,490
Quote:
If the fiio e11 is fine then only one for a desktop. I want a desktop amp that will reach the he-400s full potential, but I don't really need the e11 to do that, will it be fine or at least decent? I'm more concerned on a desktop amp...

What's your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back