Free annual credit report advice
Jun 17, 2008 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
Where do you guys get your credit reports and scores from?

There a million sites out there and most of them want your credit card number to charge after a free trial period. Also, they seem to sell a lot of your info.

According to the FTC, there is only one online source authorized to give you a free credit report and that is annualcreditreport.com. I would be fine using that one, however you don't get credit scores with the reports like you do with the others, so I would be tempted to use one of the others if there's an easy way to protect my personal info.

Thank you

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Try getting them directly from the credit reporting agencies. I think they're required by law to give you one free report each year. You can pull more often if you pay for them.

I avoid the sites you mention because I don't trust them. At best, they're trying to get you into a subscription. Lots of them smell scammy, though, since they want all your personal information and a credit card number. Don't do it.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 7
hm..guess my info got sold. Don't remember giving a CC tho..so maybe I at least didnt get charged. Better check my monthly bill just in case =/

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try getting them directly from the credit reporting agencies. I think they're required by law to give you one free report each year. You can pull more often if you pay for them.

I avoid the sites you mention because I don't trust them. At best, they're trying to get you into a subscription. Lots of them smell scammy, though, since they want all your personal information and a credit card number. Don't do it.

Yeah, but I don't think you get a score from them...

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 7
How reliable are those FICO scores from those websites anyway? I would imagine that you could sign up on 5 different websites and get 5 different FICO scores. I wouldn't trust those sites with my personal info or their calculated credit scores. IMHO, if you want to keep track of your credit record...which is advisable...then go directly to the 3 bureaus for credit reports. As for the FICO scores...forget them...they change depending on the day of the week and whether it's cloudy or sunny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back