Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #10,741 of 12,089
Oct 15, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #10,742 of 12,089
I bought my used one for $225 from BLINQ and I have the oddest problem with mine. Supposedly in "used - good" condition. When I put them on after a quick visual examination that showed no damage at all I had great sound... From just the right driver. I saw on the Massdrop thread someone mentioned a channel imbalance. Guess you could say I got a pair with the ultimate channel imbalance considering one driver didn't work at all.

But later I tried them again and everything worked. I enjoyed listening to them for almost 2 hours and was saying to myself that I could understand why people seem to really like them. Then mid song the left driver stopped working. Again completely dead. Tried them again today and they worked for about a half hour then dead. No amount of wiggling the cable, jiggling the headphones or gently flexing and twisting at the jack and Y junction did anything.

So I'm guessing BLINQ is a company that gets returns or rejects. And instead of the more typical testing minimally and saying refurbished they decided to just say used and waste no money testing figuring that a generous return policy should cover those units truly broken since most initial returns are not because of the item being broken but that the customer didn't want it for whatever reason. Add in the chance that whomever gets a bad one may take too long to return. And figure its a way to make money without much effort.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #10,743 of 12,089
Amazon Warehouse "Deals" does the same crap. If it looks OK they sell it, but many reviews say the items are actually broken or with missing pieces not mentioned. Which means they aren't testing returns. Their review average has dropped so much in the last two years due to that, it isn't even funny. I've bought from AWD but I'd be very wary of buying anything high end. And if you do, test immediately because they have the same return policy Amazon new does, 30 days.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #10,744 of 12,089
Hey guys, I would like to buy TH-00 but Massdrop don't ship any items to my country for some reason.
I found blinq on ebay with very nice prices on these headphones. But I've read negative feedback here in the topic also there's sold a lot on ebay but not many feedbacks left from buyers. Seems many people have some problem with it and not giving a feedback on ebay for this purchase.
What do you recommend me? Make a risk and buy from blinq or try used item but from good sellers?

Diva correct:
@gadu said his arrived with a twist tie repair, that's BS!!!

I bought the one labeled new (not open box, not refurbished not used, etc, the one that said new for $350)
And it came with a missing screw, so the cup was attached to the band with zip ties. Was also missing any original packaging/paperwork/accessories (bag and 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor).

Ended up buying from Massdrop, the eager anticipation cycle gets to happen again while I wait for it to arrive sometime next week.

BUT if mass drop doesnt deliver to you then sure. If there's no other way to get them, then I would definitely give it a shot.
The fact that this got by BLINQ quality control (or their apparent lack of any) is a negative, but others on this thread said theirs arrived fine.

I would purchase one of the cheaper ones (or see if any other ones pop up while you're making up your mind) since no matter what you get it's possible to arrive with nothing but the headphones. Just hope you get a better pair than I did. But if you don't, my return process has been pretty easy so far. They responded same day with a shipping label to return. I shipped it back, currently waiting for it to arrive (money refund comes "a few days after package arrives"). It even autofilled my tracking number on eBay so I can guarantee delivery. (Although I know you can put it in if not, so save your tracking number if you unfortunately have to go through the same process as me).
And if you really want to roll the die again, I emailed BLINQ customer service directly with what had happened and they told me if I wanted to order again they would upgrade my shipping for free, dont know if that would be the case international though.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #10,745 of 12,089
thumbnail (1).jpeg thumbnail (2).jpeg thumbnail (3).jpeg thumbnail (4).jpeg thumbnail.jpeg Beware of Blinq. The pair they sent me isn't as described. They listed the item as "Refurbished", but the pair is from the very first Massdrop batch (i.e., more than one year old) and there are over 10 marks and scratches on the Purple Heart wooden cups. They are very visible and are as long as 1.5 inches. And they appear on both Left and Right ear cups.

Imagine you bought a "refurbished" house described as "in excellent condition", and you find the hard wood floor like the wood of these headphones. You would think that the house's used as a warehouse.

The last straw is deception at the stage of return. I requested a return at fleabay. In the request I specifically stated that I wanted a replacement, not a refund. They accepted my request but when I double-confirmed with them, they said they actually would not replace my headphones.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #10,746 of 12,089
The last straw is deception at the stage of return. I requested a return at fleabay. In the request I specifically stated that I wanted a replacement, not a refund. They accepted my request but when I double-confirmed with them, they said they actually would not replace my headphones.
I believe that they've covered this in their FAQ now by explaining that you can get a replacement by returning the item then purchasing another. Not quite my definition of replacement either but at least they do spell it out.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #10,747 of 12,089
@hola , you and I can agree that what you have received is not "excellent" condition but to another (person doing the QC following a checklist that says if it works it in "excellent" condition) might say they were referb in "excellent" condition since there is no limit to the amount of scratches to say how they are to be rated, maybe if like some monitors which state x number of bad pixels is considered "excellent" condition you'd have a case for false advertisement.

I guess with Blinq its really a buyer beware but I think the scratches is better than the poor person who had the ear cups attached with a plastic tie wire.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #10,749 of 12,089
Hey guys, changing the topic slightly, can anyone give a good assessment of the TH-X00 (mahogany) against/alongside the Audeze LCD-2 (pre-fazor)? I have a gorgeous mahogany pair with alpha pads, but my head has been turned by the imminent arrival of the LCD-2C, complete with the pre-fazor sound I first heard on the LCD-3 (which made me realise there's definitely life above and beyond the Fostex!), with better comfort to boot, and at a very attainable (Fostex-like) price. Would the LCD-2C (LCD-2 pre-fazor) be a complement or direct upgrade/sidegrade to the TH-X00? My musical preference: deep, hearty bass, detailed and rich but protective of the mids; smooth, clear vocals/mids; non-sibilant but detailed highs.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #10,751 of 12,089
Have any of you reinforced the headband as my PH headband does not in still confidence... I know it needs to flex, but it just feels weak for want of a beeter word. Thoughts in best way to improve it?

Also, is the Pilot Pad by ZMF be a top recommendation to have the head band more comfy?

Thanks for the help peeps :)

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #10,752 of 12,089
Have any of you reinforced the headband as my PH headband does not in still confidence... I know it needs to flex, but it just feels weak for want of a beeter word. Thoughts in best way to improve it?

Also, is the Pilot Pad by ZMF be a top recommendation to have the head band more comfy?

Thanks for the help peeps :)

I'm glad you brought that up as I'd also like to know about the ZMF pilot pad. I'd even think about slapping one of them (if it's conducive) on my TH900 and AH-D2000 if it's
Nice and comfy for extended listening sessions.

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #10,754 of 12,089
I'm glad you brought that up as I'd also like to know about the ZMF pilot pad. I'd even think about slapping one of them (if it's conducive) on my TH900 and AH-D2000 if it's
Nice and comfy for extended listening sessions.

I put my d2000 together very briefly and out the pilot pad on, works well. I have it on my hifiman frame t50rp build and love it. I'll be buying another for my d2k build shortly for sure. Very very soft lambskin and not too thick or padded.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #10,755 of 12,089
Hey guys, changing the topic slightly, can anyone give a good assessment of the TH-X00 (mahogany) against/alongside the Audeze LCD-2 (pre-fazor)? I have a gorgeous mahogany pair with alpha pads, but my head has been turned by the imminent arrival of the LCD-2C, complete with the pre-fazor sound I first heard on the LCD-3 (which made me realise there's definitely life above and beyond the Fostex!), with better comfort to boot, and at a very attainable (Fostex-like) price. Would the LCD-2C (LCD-2 pre-fazor) be a complement or direct upgrade/sidegrade to the TH-X00? My musical preference: deep, hearty bass, detailed and rich but protective of the mids; smooth, clear vocals/mids; non-sibilant but detailed highs.

I've heard an LCD-2, but not sure if pre-fazor. Anyway, prefer my PH overall to the LCD-2 I listened to. The LCD-2 was very smooth and somewhat clean sounding, but lacking in bass impact and overall richness/liveliness of sound... more plain/reserved sounding though fairly detailed (but not any more clear/detailed than my PH) . Also the mids seemed slightly more forward and intelligible on my modded PH. At most I'd call the LCD-2 a side-grade to a modded TH-X00, an overall more neutral sounding can. Bass not the same neither does it have the rich/lively sound of a modded TH-X00 PH. Lawton damping + the right pads with attenuators on a TH-X00 PH is really something beyond a stock TH-X00, I really could not go back to a stock TH-X00 and would much rather it over an LCD-2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back