Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,811 of 12,087

it's basically the same in the midrange, but with the drop in the upper midrange/lower treble not ***quite*** as pronounced, it's a bit more even transition from midrange to treble, whereas the mahogany could be a bit wonky and uneven in that transition.  Lower midrange isn't *quite* as thick sounding as the mahogany.  All that being said, don't overestimate the differences that wood changing makes (except the teak, which is more due to the teak having a different shaped cavity).  It's true that the sub bass is a bit better and that the spikes are a bit more smoothed out, but these effects are very subtle.  

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #6,812 of 12,087
So do I order these now or go with EMU Teak? I couldn't really find a good comparison, other than that the Teak has a bit more flux and theres a different shape to the cups.

I use a Pulse DAC with Tidal as a source and my current main cans are the he400 and Denon Ahd2000. I want something that'll have a similar signiture to the Denons, just with more richness and detail. These seem like a prettu sweet buy for the price.

Also someone in the Teak thread said that a rep told him a removable cable version is coming. Anyone hear anything about that?

Thanks

I want to say I remember reading that in the E-MU Teak comments on Massdrop. If I recall, the removable-cable version was projected to cost $25 more.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #6,813 of 12,087
I want to say I remember reading that in the E-MU Teak comments on Massdrop. If I recall, the removable-cable version was projected to cost $25 more.

If thats the case, I'd absolutely be willing to wait for that. My Denons cable hasnt really caused me problems but I've had them for ~5 years and the cable is super worn out at parts.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #6,814 of 12,087

Are the removable cable version to be available soon?  I know I can mod them quite easily but if I only need to wait a month or two I can wait.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #6,815 of 12,087

Are the removable cable version to be available soon?  I know I can mod them quite easily but if I only need to wait a month or two I can wait.

Found it!! Posted @ 2 months ago in the Massdrop discussion of the E-MU Teak:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones/talk/384300

chan_emu said:
We target to get the detachable cable ready in 3 months time. 
We are likely to offer with additional cost of $25. 
For enquiry of additional wooden cup, please write to enquiry@emu.com we will get back as soon as possible.

*edit* if the link doesn't work, that comment is on page 12 of the discussion.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #6,816 of 12,087
@Pahani, thanks for the quick updated info, I guess I'll wait to see if the next time the Emu is offered they have the removable cable.

Another thing I forgot to ask and I couldn't find any mention was the type of connector to be used?  Same as the TH-610/900 Senn HD-6XX style?

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #6,819 of 12,087
Looks like mine has shipped as well.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #6,820 of 12,087
We learned from the very first drop that a hundred people posting all the details of their shipping status became tiresome. Let's keep those type of posts to a reasonable and relevant amount.
(Not complaining about anyone above, just looking to the near future).

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #6,821 of 12,087
We learned from the very first drop that a hundred people posting all the details of their shipping status became tiresome. Let's keep those type of posts to a reasonable and relevant amount.
(Not complaining about anyone above, just looking to the near future).

I will post hourly updates!

I'm totally kidding lol! :p

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #6,822 of 12,087
@Pahani
, thanks for the quick updated info, I guess I'll wait to see if the next time the Emu is offered they have the removable cable.

Another thing I forgot to ask and I couldn't find any mention was the type of connector to be used?  Same as the TH-610/900 Senn HD-6XX style?

I hope so, been thinking about buying a shorter cable for my hd650.

Currently trying to decide between the purpleheart and the emu ebony.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #6,823 of 12,087

xdYoBbH.gif

Now be prepared for a tracking update from me every hour. 
biggrin.gif

No, just kidding. 
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #6,825 of 12,087
Yeah, I got the same shipping notification as the rest of you. My first thought was to email Alex at Wywires. I know the Fostex phones and the WyWires red cables both need at least 100 hours of break in. Why not just ship my unopened Massdrops to Alex and receive a nice set of headphones all modded out from the get go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back