Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #6,796 of 12,087
Jun 4, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #6,799 of 12,087

Yeah, the only cups I've seen make a night and day difference are the EMU teak cups. Because those have a completely different shaped inner cup cavity, it's much thinner and sculpted than all the other wood cups, which all seem to have the same basic cup dimensions.

So then Lawton cups must have made a huge different ?

I haven't heard for myself because of the crazy high price, but they're a lot deeper than the stock TH-X00 cups if you look at the pics on the website.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #6,800 of 12,087
Hello guys.
I need to make a quick decision.
I was offered a massdrop can thx00 by fostex.
If like to know which sounds better the fostex or the audeze sine.
Ill be making a purchase this week.
And this two are the only choices i have.
And i needed to decide quickly frown.gif

Pls help.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #6,801 of 12,087
There is no better/worse/winner/loser -- they're both fantastic headphones. You're approaching the decision the wrong way and will just run in circles here.

Instead, think about how you're going to use it (at home/stationary or lots of travel/portability)...what sort of source you're playing from (DAP, laptop, amp/dac, iDevice in case you ever want to spring for Cipher cable) and what sort of music you like (and sound signature you're after).

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #6,802 of 12,087
Hello guys.
I need to make a quick decision.
I was offered a massdrop can thx00 by fostex.
If like to know which sounds better the fostex or the audeze sine.
Ill be making a purchase this week.
And this two are the only choices i have.
And i needed to decide quickly frown.gif

Pls help.

See the post by @brent75 above.  To add a little to what brent75 said above I would say that they are headphones designed for different situations and only you can decide which is "better" because none of us can say what sound you like.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #6,804 of 12,087
Is there anyone who can fit Audeze sockets in the TH-X00 cups/frames?

Try asking PETEREK. He has done plenty Fostex mods including mine.

http://www.VERBESSEN.com

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #6,805 of 12,087
  There is no better/worse/winner/loser -- they're both fantastic headphones. You're approaching the decision the wrong way and will just run in circles here.

Instead, think about how you're going to use it (at home/stationary or lots of travel/portability)...what sort of source you're playing from (DAP, laptop, amp/dac, iDevice in case you ever want to spring for Cipher cable) and what sort of music you like (and sound signature you're after).

ill be using it at home and sometimes when going out.
im using fiio x3ii as transport to the mojo.
in general, im usually listening to all kind of music but not metal, edm. 
more on slow phased music such as blues, jazz, some rock and pop, old and classical musics too.

See the post by @brent75 above.  To add a little to what brent75 said above I would say that they are headphones designed for different situations and only you can decide which is "better" because none of us can say what sound you like.

thanks.
ill be using it for casual listening only. at home and when going out.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #6,806 of 12,087
more on slow phased music such as blues, jazz, some rock and pop, old and classical musics too.

thanks.
If you will be using it for going out then I think getting the Audeze Sine is the best choice here, unless you can get used to the TH-X00's 10 feet 'vacuum' cable (which I doubt anyone would)!

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #6,807 of 12,087

thanks.

If you are using the headphones outside then I would go for the Sine @FaezFarhan recommended due to the cable length (can always mod for removable cables), weight and as a few have noted the TH-X00 are not built like tanks to take a beating.  While I haven't heard a Sine, the music you listed that you listen to might sound better from an open back like HD-600/650, HE-400i/S or even a Grado but they will not have much isolation while you are out.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #6,808 of 12,087

thanks.

The Oppo PM3 is a solid candidate as is a Bluetooth headphone. I prefer my B&O H7 as a portable solution over anything I have had before it which includes the PM3 driven balanced by a DP-X1. If you have a phone with enough storage space a good Bluetooth headphone is all you need for top quality, truly portable, wire-free goodness. At home when I want I can run around the house (really good range with the H7 and my LG G3) and just leave my phone. I actually feel the sound quality is worthy of even critical listening if that is your thing, but for casual, pure enjoyment, the H7 is as good as you could want. Did I mention there are no cables, a removable battery that can last up to 20 hours? And stupidly comfortable.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #6,809 of 12,087
So do I order these now or go with EMU Teak? I couldn't really find a good comparison, other than that the Teak has a bit more flux and theres a different shape to the cups.

I use a Pulse DAC with Tidal as a source and my current main cans are the he400 and Denon Ahd2000. I want something that'll have a similar signiture to the Denons, just with more richness and detail. These seem like a prettu sweet buy for the price.

Also someone in the Teak thread said that a rep told him a removable cable version is coming. Anyone hear anything about that?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back