Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 26, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #4,291 of 12,087
  Very tempting, but I don't get paid for 2 days (probably be sold out) and I'm wanting to get Audio-Technica AD1000x, magical vocals.

Pending when they sell out.. you may get a 1-day allowance if there's a mistake in processing the payment. Happened to me on the first K7XX drop by accident when my credit card didn't go through..

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #4,293 of 12,087
Did anyone have their units back from Peterek yet?

Many have, including myself (twice). Turnaround time is more than reasonable.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,295 of 12,087
  Did anyone have their units back from Peterek yet?

Many have, including myself (twice). Turnaround time is more than reasonable.

Yeap I have, he had mine for like maybe 2 weeks?

And more news on the comparison of the TH X00 and the LA D5k, the Alpha Padded TH X00 does a damn good job again'st the LA D5k, I like the touch of forwardness in the mids, but it's pretty clean through and through, sound stage is just a smidge wider with metal than the LA D5k is due to the color in the mids, both running balanced out of my NFB10ES2 :D 

Still with Classical the LA D5k does a little bit better, since it has a slightly more even sound all in all, so now that both are fully balanced, the two siblings are starting to really flesh each other out! I'm really find the TH X00 to be like the happy median between my LA D5k and my W1000X, which is excellent :D as I kinda got the headphone for my Fiancee to use ^^ given how well it pairs with all sorts of music I think she's going to enjoy much more than my old Wood Back Pair 

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,296 of 12,087
Man - Finally! - I missed the first Drop, and this one took forever. This will be my first closed back headset, but it will be facing some tough tough competition from my current headphone inventory - against LCD-X, HE-560, and HD 650. lol unfair apples to oranges comparison here, but oh well. open / closed, but these are semi closed, so I dunno.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #4,297 of 12,087
Hi,

Im currently using Custom One Pro which I like the bass and treble.
But then it has been like 2 years, I want a good upgrade! More to EDM which is bass and treble. Good soundstage will be a big plus!

Im now wondering about Ultrasone Pro900 whether it is good enough for the bucks. Some reviews compared with Fostex TH600 which most of them will say the TH600 is clearly the winner. 

TH600 is too expensive for me. $500 and above is no no. Suddenly found Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 which is $399.

Is this gonna worth my bucks? with my EDM and current songs. Can beat those Ultrasone and TH600?

THANKS IN ADVANCE. REALLY NEED HELP :D

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #4,298 of 12,087
  Hi,

Im currently using Custom One Pro which I like the bass and treble.
But then it has been like 2 years, I want a good upgrade! More to EDM which is bass and treble. Good soundstage will be a big plus!

Im now wondering about Ultrasone Pro900 whether it is good enough for the bucks. Some reviews compared with Fostex TH600 which most of them will say the TH600 is clearly the winner. 

TH600 is too expensive for me. $500 and above is no no. Suddenly found Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 which is $399.

Is this gonna worth my bucks? with my EDM and current songs. Can beat those Ultrasone and TH600?

THANKS IN ADVANCE. REALLY NEED HELP :D

Well the only genre I enjoy the Pro900's with so happens to be the one you mention but I can't really say they are normally worth the money.  I paid less than half of MSRP and still find them a little lacking in versatility.  They have a wonky soundstage unless you spend 10 minutes finding the right position for S-Logic to actually work as intended.  They are like strapping dual subs to your ears but all other frequencies are a little lackluster.  Running a treble sweep results in some nasty peaks up top.  If you want to add something unique to the collection they are a nice change of pace. They certainly beat the TH-X00 in isolation & sound leakage as well as sheer quantity of bass. I feel the TH-X00 is much better for someone looking for a new primary can and has a bass lean.  The Pro900 is for someone that only listens to Electronic music and loves only bass or a collector.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,299 of 12,087
Okay I'm in.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #4,300 of 12,087
I have the X2 and it's my best can right now, and seeing this Fostex deal on Mass drop make me want to get it. I'm also considering the he560 or the he400i. should I wait for the Hifiman drop in the future or get the Fostex. How much improvement/upgrade is each of them comparing to the x2. Any input or advice will help. thanks!!!

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #4,301 of 12,087
  Well the only genre I enjoy the Pro900's with so happens to be the one you mention but I can't really say they are normally worth the money.  I paid less than half of MSRP and still find them a little lacking in versatility.  They have a wonky soundstage unless you spend 10 minutes finding the right position for S-Logic to actually work as intended.  They are like strapping dual subs to your ears but all other frequencies are a little lackluster.  Running a treble sweep results in some nasty peaks up top.  If you want to add something unique to the collection they are a nice change of pace. They certainly beat the TH-X00 in isolation & sound leakage as well as sheer quantity of bass. I feel the TH-X00 is much better for someone looking for a new primary can and has a bass lean.  The Pro900 is for someone that only listens to Electronic music and loves only bass or a collector.

bass lean, slap on some Alpha Pads an crank the Volume, and the TH X00 still kicks a LOT of bass imo, while still maintaining nice mids and upper extension 

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #4,302 of 12,087
  bass lean, slap on some Alpha Pads an crank the Volume, and the TH X00 still kicks a LOT of bass imo, while still maintaining nice mids and upper extension 

has a bass lean as in "their interests lean towards bass emphasis"... these have plenty of bass for me with stock pads.  If I want to feel the tiny hairs on my ears vibrate the Pro900's are always around  

L3000.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #4,304 of 12,087
  has a bass lean as in "their interests lean towards bass emphasis"... these have plenty of bass for me with stock pads.  If I want to feel the tiny hairs on my ears vibrate the Pro900's are always around  

L3000.gif

I read his sentence to mean that the Fostex leans toward the bass, which is opposite of "lean bass"

well "bass Lean" can be taken as it's lean in the sense that it lacks fat, which is doesn't There's still a good bit of decay in the bass even with Alpha pads

and if you want the tiny hairs on your ears to Vibrate the TH X00 will do that for you xD, trust me man the Alpha Pads cut down on the mid bass a little and tame some of that decay, giving you a more even sub bass, an it CRANKS, nicely! 

Either way the TH X00 is a BASS heavy headphone, it's still very balanced though, but it's by no means shy in the bass or entirely "lean" it still has some bloom down there that I like

Though it's a tough call... my LA D5k running out of my Starlight has better bass control AND a touch of bloom from the Tube, where as the TH X00 ran balanced solid state is still.. slower and less taut than the LA D5k, though it's a bit... more liquid... so really both headphones do bass well, I think though given the price the TH X00 is the better value! 

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #4,305 of 12,087
I have the X2 and it's my best can right now, and seeing this Fostex deal on Mass drop make me want to get it. I'm also considering the he560 or the he400i. should I wait for the Hifiman drop in the future or get the Fostex. How much improvement/upgrade is each of them comparing to the x2. Any input or advice will help. thanks!!!

I think the X2 is overall better than the TH-x00. It's been a while since I had the 400i, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it an upgrade over the Fostex. The He-560 is an upgrade IMO, but listen to it first to see if you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back