Fostex TH900MK2 DAC/Amp Suggestions
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #16 of 23
Glad it helps.

The Cavalli LP = Liq Platinum = $875 new. Could find used for $500.
Same for the Mjolnir. That would leave you $500 left over for a good DAC. E.g., the Schiit Bifrost, many used versions out there. Make sure to confirm the specs with them and type of DAC, as there has been many iterations over the last few years.

Look at the Clasifieds, a Mjolnir just sold, and maybe an LP too.
There is a Woo portable (WA8?) for sale for about $1100. You could get them down to $1000.

I understand the desire to play it safe with repairs and troubleshooting.
It may seem counterintuitive, but the smaller, niche HP companies like ALO and Woo Audio Will actually take better care of you IMO.
They live and die by their reputation and don’t want to piss off their customers, especially customers who are active on THESE threads.

Future proofing is great until it paralyzes you from making a decision and getting what you want. Been there, done that.
TH900s are considered easy to drive, so Lyr is good with them.
Suggest u look up the specs on the LP and Mjolnir to make sure they are compatible with the 800s, but they should be.
I think they are at least 2x the power of the Lyr2.

But listen, I really don’t think you can go wrong with the Mjolnir or LP for $550 used and a used Bifrost for $450.
We will be happy to help you find the best pair of tubes for your cans. In fact, it’s already been done for you in the threads.
But don’t let all this ambivalence stop you. Like I said, you really can’t go wrong with the choices above.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #17 of 23
Great points all around!

I've seen Woo Audio around enough to feel comfortable with equipment from them for sure, along with Cavalli Amps.

I'd prefer an all-in-one solution, so I'm eyeing that WA8, along with the Lyr 3.

I'm all about purchasing used gear as well, so that WA8 might just be what I need. I'm going to check some reviews out and give it heavy consideration.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 23
“I'm going to check some reviews out and give it heavy consideration.”

LOL bro. Laughing b/c I know what it feels like.
But in a year or two, you will be upgrading anyway .... #neverending lol.

If you want an all in one, then you can really do better than a Lyr 3.
Seriously, compared to the Lyr 2 with no DAC, the Lyr 3 amp Section is only 1/2 as good.
I would def go with the Woo Fireflies. The Fireflies are easily 2-3 times as good as the Lyr 3.
And they look a helluva lot better too.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 23
Jesus man, isn't that the truth. I've blown plenty of money on this hobby, along with others, throughout the last few years and I'm finally trying to set myself up with something I can 'set and forget'. I'm trying to buy a business in a couple of years and these expensive hobbies DO NOT jive well with saving assloads of cash. It's bad enough I'm a travel nut.

The Fireflies are just downright gorgeous, and it seems I'm in the minority who prefers the silver color. Any experience with the tube-based power supply? I take it it's not nearly as important as the amplifier.

The Lyr 3 I'm lukewarm on, purely because I've seen just a TON of hate on Schiit recently in /r/headphones, which may or may not be justified, but either way, it does have an affect on me.

The Fireflies are my default right now. A Biifrost/LP combination isn't necessarily ruled out, but I'd have to do some finagling on my desk to present them appropriately.

Having said that - there any decent Cavalli DAC/Amp combos worth considering, my helpful guru advisor?

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 23
Ha!
The Bifrost is a great choice, should pair very well with the Cavalli LP or the Mjolnir or whatever.
The Bifrost is a solid DAC that will also holds its own in a humble home/room stereo with -
say- the Vidar amp/s and some modest 8 ohm large bookshelf speakers.

From what you say ou are looking for, IMO the Bifrost plus LP or Mjolnir would be end game for at least a couple years.
Plus 1 more year for tube rolling to find the best combination for your cans.
And they allow expanding with the HD800s.
IOWs, it’s a safe plan, and more importantly, that combo will knock your effin socks off!

In any case, enjoy those Emerald green flakes- they are beauties
I have the maroon v1.
Let us know when you pull the trigger

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 23
But that’s just it man, you future trippin !
You don’t even have a pair of 800s! Lol.

But just look at the impedances n power ratings

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 23
Thanks for your input! I'm so overloaded with choices it's really hard to actually pull the trigger! And I'm not usually someone who will research for weeks at a time - a few days putting around threads and all is enough.

May I ask why you sold the MK2s? And how you feel about the Beyer DT1990 Pros instead? They were also on my shortlist when I was looking to replace my LCD-Xs. I needed something fun, and filled with energy.

My only complaint about the TH900MK2s is that the sound is a bit hollow - I'd prefer a specific richness to the music, but I might be able to adjust that with an adequate amp/dac choice.

I remember listening to Grados years ago and was swooning over their signature. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get over that form factor and the on-ear design just wasn't for me.
Absolutely,
Well, i sold my mk2s because of comfort. I found that the headband gave me a little sore spot and the pads didnt feel comfortable enough for me. my ears never touched the inside but the headband part really did it for me.
I sold the headphones to another audio enthusiast in my city. after getting rid of the mk2s i didnt really have a use for such a strong amp(with installed dac) in my collection. at the time i only had the h6, p7 and dt1990. i wanted a better dac than the one i had installed in the violectric.
Later on, i discovered RME ADI-2 DAC and made the purchase based on a friend who had the ADI-2 Pro. he said it was one of the best dacs he'd ever bought and still has it today to use with his abyss, lcd-4 and his 660s.

I love the fit of the DT1990 Pros, they're my absolute favorite can as we speak, in future who knows i might get something that will take the mantle but for now they're excellent. terrific build quality, fantastical clean sounding and such a snug good fit. ive never had any sore spots with the headband (after almost 12hrs of use) which is excellent. pads are nice and comfortable, (they're fabric, but still firm/soft feeling). the only gripe i have with my DT1990 Pros is that the coiled cable i wish could be a bit longer, but not as long as the straight cable they provide. that one is a bit too long LOL.

I've demod the LCD-4, LCD-3, LCD-X and LCD-2C. and from what i remember i really really enjoyed the LCD2C and the LCD-X(newer one with revised headband but no case). the problem is the LCD2C and LCD-X are very close, the LCD-X does have a wider presentation for sound, and maybe 10% sharper imaging between sounds but honestly, im not sure it would be worth the extra 400-500$ more in price... which is why if i buy an Audeze (which i will eventually) i'll get either the LCD2C or the LCD2C Closed variant. the LCD-X are great, but not great enough to pay almost 50% more in price.

I tried a pair of Grados at the store and they were terrible, terrible sound, cable, pads, headband... really not worth what they were asking.

the next pair of headphones im looking to buy would probobly be either the Focal Elegia, Audeze LCD2C, Sony Z7m2 or something else. i'm currently looking for a closed back as i'm super happy with my open backed DT1990 Pro. but who knows :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back