Fostex TH900MK2 DAC/Amp Suggestions
Feb 28, 2019 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

P-Nation

Head-Fier
Hey all,

Finally traded my LCD-Xs for am Emerald Green TH900MK2 set.

It's got the low-end and treble I've been craving.

However, my Audinst HUD-MX1 is seemingly too sterile and shallow for the cans. I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm okay with any combo dac/amp units, but open to separate DAC/amps as well. I'd like to stay under 1,000USD.

I'd prefer to be able to go balanced one day, but it's not necessary. A bit of mid boost would be beneficial, but I'm really looking into 'filling in the gaps' and adding some coloration and a bit more oomph to the cans, as I'm fairly certain they'd benefit greatly from a proper desktop set-up.

EDIT: Would a tube set up give me that 'coloration' and a tinge of warmth and character? Open to that, too! WA7 sure is pretty.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 23
Any other suggestions? I'm hearing and leaning heavily towards a tube solution to offer a bit of much needed warmth. I'd rather shy against Chi-Fi purely for warranty purposes.

Any thoughts on the Lyr 3? Any Little Dot offerings? WA7? I'm so, so lost and so many threads are just dead.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 23
Hello P-Nation,
I had the A-gd nfb-11.28, but before my Fostex TH900 (mk1), not the better choice because highs are quite present. The nfb-1amp is good for TH900, and Audio-gd HE-9 better but expansive.
Tubes maybe amazing, but beware 25 Ohms / Fostex, the amplifier must be accorded with it. My tube amplifier is accorded to 80 Ohms/output transformers, and TH900 not sounding well on it, too much highs.
TH900 with little devices as Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 sounds good, I use mine on it.
This Fostex is V shaped/FR, but can play with high quality mids, and plaisant results with highs and lows.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 23
when i had my red 900mk2 i had at the time Violectric amp/dac and it was fantastic. i sold it primarily because at the time i was going to sell my mk2's im kinda missing my mk2's now :frowning2: but i feel like i had a taste of that world and im ok with not revisiting.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for your input! I'm so overloaded with choices it's really hard to actually pull the trigger! And I'm not usually someone who will research for weeks at a time - a few days putting around threads and all is enough.

May I ask why you sold the MK2s? And how you feel about the Beyer DT1990 Pros instead? They were also on my shortlist when I was looking to replace my LCD-Xs. I needed something fun, and filled with energy.

My only complaint about the TH900MK2s is that the sound is a bit hollow - I'd prefer a specific richness to the music, but I might be able to adjust that with an adequate amp/dac choice.

I remember listening to Grados years ago and was swooning over their signature. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get over that form factor and the on-ear design just wasn't for me.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 23
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 23
I have had the Th900 Mk 1s for a few years.
Yes, they are “V” shaped, but not dramatically so. It is easy to rectify, especially with tubes.

Not only that, but the tubes will give some warmth and a more real approximation of “live” music.
Yes, you will lose a little resolution, but only at the cost of significantly better soundstage including instrument separation, AND increased tonal richness that SS amps just cannot do at double your price point.

1. ALO CDM, $999. DAC AMP combo. There is a limited run right now and they will sell out their stock as they always have on the CDM.
I bought one and listen to it for two weeks, and it sounded fantastic. I only returned it because some bills came up and I couldn’t afford it.
Look it up. You can plug it in or run it on batteries, it is portable, but will not fit in your jacket pocket per se. It uses too small and OS tubes and that is what gives it the rich, powerful, and dynamic sound with great resolution. ALO is on the same wavelength as Woo Audio’s portable DAC/amp.

2. ALO also has the Continental, but only 1 tube, so I would not bother with it.

3. The Woo Audio Firelies are great. And the Woo portable DAC/tube amp is great as well.

4. I now have the Schiit Lyr 2 desktop amp, it has 2 tubes. Family, /6922/6DJ8. Can also use 12AU7 tubes with tube adapters.
Lots of tube rolling available for the Lyr 2. It gives me everything I want in SQ. I run my AK320 through it. The AK provides hi res details, then the Lyr improves in everything the AK DAC does (AKM4480): Power, Speed, attack/decay, soundstage, rich tones and liquid mids with big fast bass, sparkly highs.

FYI: my TH900s have Lawton upgrades- basically fine tuning the highs and lows. And I also had the new cables put in:
Sennheiser 800 quick release HP plugs, with balanced Black Hornet cable: to a 2.5mm balanced plug- for the AK320.

5. Next setup up the Schiit chain, the Moljnir 2, tube amp only. Twice as good as the Lyr 2. Look for a used one and get a DAC.

6. Look at the Cavalli line of amps-spectacular stuff. Look at the Liquid Platinum, she’s a beauty, and similar to the Mjolnir.

Last, take a look at other threads to help make your decision, eg, the Lyr 2 impressions thread, the Lyr 2 tube rolling thread,
The Cavalli Liquid Platinum thread.

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 23
This is incredible information and I so very much appreciate you taking the time out to help me out. Seriously, this is clutch. I'm still stuck.

I think at this point, I've got 3 good starting points. Brand recognition was something I considered - I wanted to go with something a bit more mainstream for troubleshooting/customer service and general favorability goes.

I've been considering the Lyr 3 with the multibit or the regular DAC, but I've heard that it's very much neutral at this point - which defeats the purpose of trying to colorize my TH900s a bit. I'd have to consider tube rolling, etc.

Which leaves me with the consideration of a Cavalli Liquid Platinum, Lyr 2, or the Fireflies(which I've always been in love with).

In the future, I do want to nab up a pair of 800S' for reference listening, so ample power and worry-free obsolescence is great too, which is why I'm not exactly strict on the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back