Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #5,116 of 18,765
Quote:
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is much smoother than the copper cable. If you are going to send them back, then switching cables might not help enough. Anyway, I always thought they were a little crunchy with a copper cable. Now I have the silver cable and the ZDSE and it's not a bit harsh. My brief listen on the ECBA was a little brighter, but it was a totally different dac & cables. The EC amps should be darn close. The Silver Dragon is a super upgrade imho.

While I admit to being somewhat of a cable-skeptic, I'm surprised you think silver is smoother than copper since it seems the prevailing opinion among cable-believers is that silver brightens (vivid)  and copper tames (smooth).

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5,117 of 18,765
Quote:

While I admit to being somewhat of a cable-skeptic, I'm surprised you think silver is smoother than copper since it seems the prevailing opinion among cable-believers is that silver brightens (vivid)  and copper tames (smooth).

Good-quality silver cables are with air up top, yet being silky smooth (not harsh at all). Bad silver cable tend to be offensive sounding.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #5,119 of 18,765
Quote:
Good-quality silver cables are with air up top, yet being silky smooth (not harsh at all). Bad silver cable tend to be offensive sounding.

+1 Typical the bright/harsher sounding silver cables are not pure silver. They either have copper conductors or are copper coated. The mixture of copper/silver make the cables sound bright. A good silver cable should be neutral with refinement to bass, dynamics, and air. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #5,120 of 18,765
Quote:

Do you have any tracks to recommend?

I'm quite enjoying The Beatles catalog on this, especially the White Album and Abbey Road. Revolver is a great listen on the TH900s as well. 

Definitely different genre than what I normally listen to on these cans. 
size]

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #5,121 of 18,765
Quote:

I'm quite enjoying The Beatles catalog on this, especially the White Album and Abbey Road. Revolver is a great listen on the TH900s as well. 

Definitely different genre than what I normally listen to on these cans. 
size]

Yeah i enjoy the beatles with these too!

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #5,123 of 18,765
Quote:

I agree +1.  Good quality of any thing is a good thing.  If it's good quality copper it will sound good.  If it's good quality silver it will sound good.

Quote:

+1 Typical the bright/harsher sounding silver cables are not pure silver. They either have copper conductors or are copper coated. The mixture of copper/silver make the cables sound bright. A good silver cable should be neutral with refinement to bass, dynamics, and air. 

Don't agree here.

If the quality of the cable is good (Silver or Copper) it should re produce good sound.  If there's a mixture of two good quality cables you should always get good quality sound.

It's well known that when a good quality silver cable is compared to a good quality copper cable.  The Silver cable is the brighter of the two.

I think this is all snake oil anyway...  Just get a good cable from a trusted cable maker.  You should be fine.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #5,124 of 18,765
How does cabling work again? It's a fixed design right?

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5,125 of 18,765
The cable is non-detachable but if you go back a year then you can read eloquently made posts from muppet about the materials and premium finish utilised by Fostex in reply to a member hyping Lawton mods
wink.gif

If tragedy befalls you and a fix is required or you really are that keen on balance amping then yeah have it recabled. Otherwise not really seeing the investment behind recabling the TH900

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5,126 of 18,765
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #5,129 of 18,765
Quote:

I agree +1.  Good quality of any thing is a good thing.  If it's good quality copper it will sound good.  If it's good quality silver it will sound good.

Don't agree here.

If the quality of the cable is good (Silver or Copper) it should re produce good sound.  If there's a mixture of two good quality cables you should always get good quality sound.

It's well known that when a good quality silver cable is compared to a good quality copper cable.  The Silver cable is the brighter of the two.

I think this is all snake oil anyway...  Just get a good cable from a trusted cable maker.  You should be fine.

Without shaking the hive too much... I think you are right, but there is a bit more to it than that. I've been on the fence about cable improvements for awhile now, but I'm finally starting to form my own opinions on the debate. I've done enough A/B comparison to be able to say that silver, copper, gold, etc. all have some sonic characteristics. A mixture can yield logical results, but can also change characteristics entirely. Before delving into the portable audio world, I didn't give much thought to the sonics of different cables. I'm a strong supporter of Trevor from Norse, as you know. I bought his cables for the simply fact that they are more ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing than many, if not all stock cables. Most of the headphones/IEMs I buy have pretty cheap stock cables. But now I'm starting to think there are slight differences between metals, components, and material qualities. Now, don't get me wrong, cables are still classified as highway robbery and low valued to me because of their premium prices, but if someone wants to get the absolute most out of their gear, cables should be considered, IMO. Now obviously good sound is highly subjective, so yes I agree that if you get good quality materials than the sound should follow suit. But I tend to disagree that generalizing all good copper cables sound the same and all good silver cables are the same. I think ultimately it comes down to preference, silver does sound brighter of the two - but when you add mixtures, different dielectric, connectors, conductors metals I think common knowledge is thrown out the window and the only way to know for sure that the sound will suit you is to try them. 

Bottom line, I think the cable debate is a game that you have to play yourself. Figure out if you find the price justifies the gain and go from there. Go in expecting no sonic improvements, and if there are some (in your opinion) than great, if not... then you still have a nice looking aftermarket cable for piece of mind. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #5,130 of 18,765
Hmm. The vocals are a bit too recessed for my liking. Maybe that'll change after some brain burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back