Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #5,131 of 18,765
Quote:

Without shaking the hive too much... I think you are right, but there is a bit more to it than that. I've been on the fence about cable improvements for awhile now, but I'm finally starting to form my own opinions on the debate. I've done enough A/B comparison to be able to say that silver, copper, gold, etc. all have some sonic characteristics. A mixture can yield logical results, but can also change characteristics entirely. Before delving into the portable audio world, I didn't give much thought to the sonics of different cables. I'm a strong supporter of Trevor from Norse, as you know. I bought his cables for the simply fact that they are more ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing than many, if not all stock cables. Most of the headphones/IEMs I buy have pretty cheap stock cables. But now I'm starting to think there are slight differences between metals, components, and material qualities. Now, don't get me wrong, cables are still classified as highway robbery and low valued to me because of their premium prices, but if someone wants to get the absolute most out of their gear, cables should be considered, IMO. Now obviously good sound is highly subjective, so yes I agree that if you get good quality materials than the sound should follow suit. But I tend to disagree that generalizing all good copper cables sound the same and all good silver cables are the same. I think ultimately it comes down to preference, silver does sound brighter of the two - but when you add mixtures, different dielectric, connectors, conductors metals I think common knowledge is thrown out the window and the only way to know for sure that the sound will suit you is to try them. 

Bottom line, I think the cable debate is a game that you have to play yourself. Figure out if you find the price justifies the gain and go from there. Go in expecting no sonic improvements, and if there are some (in your opinion) than great, if not... then you still have a nice looking aftermarket cable for piece of mind. 

Makes sense..

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #5,133 of 18,765
Quote:

Give it a week to open up a little. It's not going to be a midrange monster but it does open up a little after about 40-50 hrs. 

Yep i find the same here, but they are still a tad thin with certain vocals.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #5,134 of 18,765
Quote:
Got spotify premium. Yup awesome way to discover music, but sometimes, i don't fancy an algorithm making recommendations for me. Feels too...artificial, if you know what I mean. The unpredictability of discovering via other people is more exciting.

Those are great threads you mentioned, and i do frequent those already.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will give those a whirl thiss weekend.
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually just sign up MOG premium, I did some comparison and went with MOG as all their music are 320kbps.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #5,136 of 18,765
Quote:
What are your reference headphones (besides the TH900, obviously)?

Don't really have reference phones. But I just came from from the Frogbeats C4s, Ocharaku Kaedes, and the SR-202

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #5,138 of 18,765
Aug 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #5,141 of 18,765
Quote:
I really wish mog would come to new zealand. In the meantime, spotify is the best we can get for streaming. Not bad for discovering music though and will do quality wise on many tracks.

At the moment I have both Spotify and mog, I think SQ is better on Spotify

Users who are viewing this thread

Back