Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #14,461 of 18,776
please do go on, so you have the th900, D7000, 2X D5000. So many Ds. and the lcd2.
biggrin.gif

What your opinion on all those headphones. Do you prefer classy or slutty.
cool.gif

The Rockettes...Mmm, more like the Four Horseman, I'd say :) ...Well John, I really haven't enough time with them yet, beyond what I initially mentioned. As for now, those really are my impressions  of them, as I've only had the 900 couple weeks, 7K for three days, and the 5k about a month.  After I have them a while longer, a/b them, listen to various types and genres with all of them, I might have more definitive lines to draw in the sand. At this point I do feel the 900 is kind of like the 7k on steroids. Having said that, and needless to say, I am in unequivocal bliss with them both, for that very reason. The k5 I use for my favorite band of all time, Candlemass (a swedish Doom Metal band) as it just does the best job for THAT band, and their recordings, to me. It is way to difficult to identify what I would call the best all arounder here. The TH900 seems to soar for electronic, newer recorded metal, and recordings that have that really lush fancy production going on. The LCD-2, I alternate between it and the TH900 on dubstep/Trap, etc. I do not like the LCD-2 for metal. Just not enough body for me. However, I love the LCD-2 and what it offers on a great deal of material, When I'm in the mood for a more laid back kinda sound, of which I STILL, require SUBstantial bass, even when I'm chillin'. Being a drummer, I will most likely always require physicality in any audio experience. That's why I find the LCD-2 in great company with any of the Denon/Fostex cans.  

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #14,462 of 18,776
Finally got my Fostex TH-900Mk2 with ifi micro idsd black edition and oh wow! They are amazing!

One thing I don't understand it's how the deal I got works.
I only paid 1299 and it can free with the ifi.
If I go to adorama they want $2048, but if I go through the link I found it's on $1299.
Even when I called them on the phone they wanted the full price.
Going back to the sound, I used to have Grado Rs1e with ifi micro idsd silver, but this is definitely a huge upgrade over that.
It's funny how this "guy" who reviews headphones on YouTube spoke so bad about them... now I know to never listen to him because I definitely have different ears than he does.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #14,463 of 18,776
Finally got my Fostex TH-900Mk2 with ifi micro idsd black edition and oh wow! They are amazing!

If I go to adorama they want $2048, but if I go through the link I found it's on $1299.
Going back to the sound, I used to have Grado Rs1e with ifi micro idsd silver, but this is definitely a huge upgrade over that.
It's funny how this "guy" who reviews headphones on YouTube spoke so bad about them... now I know to never listen to him because I definitely have different ears than he does.

I know the "guy", you speak of. He nuts...The TH900 is impeccable. If they do get a little to spicy, try the EZ Mod(s) http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles It's as if it has built in tunability just by rotating the little foam ring under the pad...And it works! Also Mr Speakers has a great little tuning kit called Doggie Treats, that you can use with the 900, or just about any phone, to make little adjustments. Fun stuff. Great Can! 

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #14,464 of 18,776
I know the "guy", you speak of. He nuts...The TH900 is impeccable. If they do get a little to spicy, try the EZ Mod(s) http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles It's as if it has built in tunability just by rotating the little foam ring under the pad...And it works! Also Mr Speakers has a great little tuning kit called Doggie Treats, that you can use with the 900, or just about any phone, to make little adjustments. Fun stuff. Great Can! 

Thanks!
But I can't imagine them sounding any better!
I like everything about them and I only used them for an hour so far, not even broken into yet.
I like to get a nice simple tube amp, I used to have littledot+ and it was only about $130 or so. It gave the Grados a nice sound, more musical less technical? I'm just learning the lingo.
I heard of an amp called DarkVoice 336SE OTL I think;
Z Reviews was using it with the th900mk2 and he seem to like it a lot, it's only $199 (only lol, I guess after spending so much on these things everything else seems cheap...but not true hehe)
Would you recommend that amp?
I listen to classic rock mostly, Pink Floyd Queen Supertramp Dire Straits Genesis Police etc
Oh, I have The Doors collection from hdtracks and OMG! It's a whole new experience with these headphones compared to my Grados rs1e. To my ears, is day and night.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #14,465 of 18,776
I heard of an amp called DarkVoice 336SE OTL I think;
Z Reviews was using it with the th900mk2 and he seem to like it a lot, it's only $199 (only lol, I guess after spending so much on these things everything else seems cheap...but not true hehe)
Would you recommend that amp?

I asked the EXACT same question on the forum a couple of days ago, and was told it made no since what so ever to use a low impedance can with a tube amp, such as the Darkvoice.>> http://www.head-fi.org/t/831940/darkvoice-336se-with-sub-100ohm-cans#post_13165426

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #14,466 of 18,776
  I asked the EXACT same question on the forum a couple of days ago, and was told it made no since what so ever to use a low impedance can with a tube amp, such as the Darkvoice.>> http://www.head-fi.org/t/831940/darkvoice-336se-with-sub-100ohm-cans#post_13165426

I'm not sure what the Z reviews reasoning is, and I'm not very familiar with the darkvoice either.  However, from a technical standpoint, considering the damping factor alone would make using a OTL tube amp with high output Z with a low impedance headphone like the TH900 unadvisable.

I'm not sure about this "recommendation" so I'll leave it at that.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #14,467 of 18,776
Hey everyone, I'm back here after lurking around the Z1R thread for a while... really torn between TH900 or Z1R and didn't find the conclusive answer I've been looking for...

is there a definitive answer regarding whether or not the z1r hits as hard as the th900 in the subbass with amping and eq?

Th900 vs z1r for movies and games? In general?

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #14,468 of 18,776

Mind posting that link here? :D

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #14,470 of 18,776

The deal is only there for a limited time, as are all slickdeals.. so Adorama create a kind of 'hidden' web site in order for the slickdeal to work, not accessible from their general web site. 

Adorama had 2 slickdeals last year (July then August) where they were selling the Mk2 alone for $999. I jumped on that and sold my X00's... less than a week later the deal had expired. I received my Mk2's a few weeks later and couldn't be happier :)

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #14,471 of 18,776
The deal is only there for a limited time, as are all slickdeals.. so Adorama create a kind of 'hidden' web site in order for the slickdeal to work, not accessible from their general web site. 

Adorama had 2 slickdeals last year (July then August) where they were selling the Mk2 alone for $999. I jumped on that and sold my X00's... less than a week later the deal had expired. I received my Mk2's a few weeks later and couldn't be happier :)

That's pretty wild, I wonder how they afford to do this, or maybe they just sell it at cost.
The other deal with audeze is not that good, but this one really was a great deal.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #14,472 of 18,776

Whoa! Found it, thanks yal! Can't tell if/when this will expire, any idea?

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #14,473 of 18,776
Th900 vs z1r for movies and games? In general?

I've been using my 900 exclusively for movies, shows, and games (Fallout 4) and cannot take them off. Love the bass slam, dynamics, and sharp, 3D imaging. While not quite as comfortable as the D7000, it's still one of the most comfortable cans that I've had, and I have a very large head. I wear it for many hours without much thought.

Watch Fury Road in 4K with ATMOS. The 900s will blow you away.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #14,474 of 18,776
  I've been using my 900 exclusively for movies, shows, and games (Fallout 4) and cannot take them off. Love the bass slam, dynamics, and sharp, 3D imaging. While not quite as comfortable as the D7000, it's still one of the most comfortable cans that I've had, and I have a very large head. I wear it for many hours without much thought.

Can you hear the atmos sound effects with headphones ? I didn't know that,
I thought that only phisically separated speakers can achieve that in 7.1.2/4 or 9.1.2/4 etc.

I will try tonight. :wink: it's going to be TH900 vs SVS  war !

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #14,475 of 18,776

That's awesome, I started with a JVC SZ2000, moved on to a THX00 now and it's awesome.  There is a bit too much mid bass for my tastes though, it makes things a bit muddy.  I want less midbass, more subbass, and more soundstage too, so it seems like the TH900 will be perfect. 

From what I've gathered on the Z1R thread, there probably won't be enough subbass impact for me to justify the cost.  I'm sure it's great for music, but for my games and movies, I absolutely need a cannon haha.

Anyway, my girlfriend said she'll get me a TH900 for me after we move (which should be happening as soon as I get a job secured)...So time to get off my lazy butt and head-fi and get myself that new job and a red sexy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back