Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #14,432 of 18,765
Hi, I just purchased the th-900mkii with a ifi micro idsd black from adorama for1299
Wondering if that was a good deal?
Also, what's a good dap to pair that set up with?
Is the ifi a good match? Or should I sell it and get a dedicated better dap?
My budget right now is 700 unless I sell the ifi and then I'll have some more.
Few years ago I had a silver micro idsd with grado rs1 and iPhone and the sound was a little fatiguing to me because they were so unconfotable and a little harsh to my ears.
I never heard the fostex before but I read good things.
Thanks!

Very good deal for both.

I am partial to the Fiio DAPs. I have my eye on the Fiio X7. Lots of options for it and it sounds superb. Plus it won't break the bank. I owned the X5 and X5ii and really liked them.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #14,435 of 18,765
Very good deal for both.

I am partial to the Fiio DAPs. I have my eye on the Fiio X7. Lots of options for it and it sounds superb. Plus it won't break the bank. I owned the X5 and X5ii and really liked them.

I guess I'd be looking for a "transport" only? Since id be using the ifi? I was looking at the pioneer xps-100 and the onkyo dp-x1, they are 399 or 499 respectively now.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #14,438 of 18,765
how do you intend to use it?

I like portability, but 90% of the time I only listen at home. When I drive I usually only listen to talk shows.
The deal I got included the HT-900MK2 and the ifi micro idsd black.
I used to have an ifi micro idsd with Grado's Rs1e, it sounded great but hose headphones leak a lot, are very, very unconformable, and sound a bit too harsh to my ears.
I never hear the Fostex yet but I read good things, and this looked like a good deal that I shouldn't pass.
I have a few hdtracks albums and many hi-res songs.
I mostly listen to classic rock like Pink Floyd, The Doors, Supertramp etc...
I was using my iPhone (only 64gb) as a transport but I rather have a dedicated DAP or use my Surface Pro 4 (windows 10) because of larger capacity  to hold my music.
So maybe the portability I need is only to switch between rooms I guess, maybe I want to listen in the bedroom, living room or family room; as long as it can move easily, I'm in.
I don't like to depend on battery power, i charge my phone every night, and most of the time I like falling asleep listening to music and if I have to unplug everything to then put my phone to charge it would be very annoying and wake me up.
So I say 90% at home
80% in the bedroom falling asleep.
Thank you!!

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #14,440 of 18,765
I have the older version of the Ifi micro iDSD, bought on 2014. I use it as a dac with TH900mk2's.

As a dac it is bright, at least compared to other dacs I have tested. So if you listen TH900's directly from Ifi the treble might be too much (or too piercing) in some recordings.

I use the warmest tubes I could find in Lyr2 to soften the treble area.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #14,441 of 18,765
I have the older version of the Ifi micro iDSD, bought on 2014. I use it as a dac with TH900mk2's.

As a dac it is bright, at least compared to other dacs I have tested. So if you listen TH900's directly from Ifi the treble might be too much (or too piercing) in some recordings.

I use the warmest tubes I could find in Lyr2 to soften the treble area.

Oh boy, this might be grado-ifi harsh sound all over again...
Is there a DAP that complements these headphones better?
I had my eye on the onkyo do-x1 and pioneer xdp-100r

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #14,444 of 18,765
I see Buy dig is selling a budy only x7, can a budy only x7 hook up to an ifi micro through USB? It looks like only amp section has the USB output.
Also seems like the pioneer is the least expensice now at 4hundred, the onkyo is 5hundred.

Yes the body only model will work for what you are doing.  You may want to look at a used model that includes the amp modules so you can have different flavors of sound.  There are a few in the For Sale section here on the forum.

To connect the Ifi and Fiio together... You would connect the Coax output on the top of the X7 to the SPDIF Coax on the Micro iDSD.  A cable will come with the X7 and Micro iDSD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back