Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #7,186 of 18,765
Are the mids actually recessed or does it just seem that way because the lows and the highs are elevated (U or V shaped curve)?  I don't find the mids recessed with either of my DACs (Burson Conductor or LHLabs Geek Out 720).

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #7,187 of 18,765
I don't EQ, but my DAC is known to have a more forward presentation so to some extent it does counter the recessed mids. I personally like the U-shaped response of the TH900, I would not want to EQ it too much anyway.

I like to know how you all define the recessed mids on the Fostex TH-900. Do you mean with recessed mids that most instruments including the human voice are projected more backwards on stage, whereas the bass and hi-hats (or other treble intensive instruments) take a more forward position on stage. Because of their backward position, the mids are less intense than the bass and treble, more subdued…

Or do you mean with recessed mids that the mids are a bit lean, because of the frequency dip of the Fostex TH-900 around 500hz. They lack a bit of body fat so to speak. In this case the mids are not subdued, they are clear and ‘intense’, but lack fullness.

Or is it a combination of both. Hence, the lack of body decibels of the mids (frequency dip at around 500Hz) decrease their intensity. As a result, the mids of the TH-900 both lack intensity and body.

I am curious. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #7,189 of 18,765

Are the mids actually recessed or does it just seem that way because the lows and the highs are elevated (U or V shaped curve)?  I don't find the mids recessed with either of my DACs (Burson Conductor or LHLabs Geek Out 720).

Is there really a difference?

It's basically the same ;P
If you bring the volume up to where the mids are as loud as you want it to be then the treble and bass are just boosted. If you bring it down to where the bass and treble are normal then the mids are recessed (basically there's no difference, exactly like you said)

I do find that it's U shaped as well and will probably EQ it using my Fiio x5

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #7,190 of 18,765

Perhaps a difference in emphasis although the output and perception of TH900 will be source dependent. Pre and post purchase I tried with diff systems. The TH900 vocal and MIDs placement was different according to the system but then again that goes for any other decent chain

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #7,192 of 18,765

In relative terms, no.  Equalization is needed to shape the response to the desired curve.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #7,193 of 18,765
  I was wondering is someone could tell me what frequencies in the TH-900 have dips or peaks so I could attempt come graphic equalizing to see if it may make a difference???

Try going here for response curves.

http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #7,196 of 18,765
I like to know how you all define the recessed mids on the Fostex TH-900....

Or is it a combination of both. Hence, the lack of body decibels of the mids (frequency dip at around 500Hz) decrease their intensity. As a result, the mids of the TH-900 both lack intensity and body.
I would say it is a relative thing (edit) and in this case both volume and lushness in the mids. There may be a little less volume in the mids as well as a slight thinness to the mid frequencies which become more apparent when you compare with other HPs. My D2000 has more forward mids by comparison. In this case I think it has more to do with the relative volume rather than lushness.
Edit: if you put the TH900 and D2000 on a frequency graph (see link above) you will see this difference.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #7,197 of 18,765
These long head-fi threads always are cyclical and more often than not it appears those who want more did not demo pre-purchase

^ this

To all:

Much has been made out of the recessed mids of the 900. Do users tend to compensate with EQ or just sleeping dogs lie and listen to the HP as it is ? Just curious.

Thanks

as is

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #7,198 of 18,765
I would say it is a relative thing (edit) and in this case both volume and lushness in the mids. There may be a little less volume in the mids as well as a slight thinness to the mid frequencies which become more apparent when you compare with other HPs. My D2000 has more forward mids by comparison. In this case I think it has more to do with the relative volume rather than lushness.
Edit: if you put the TH900 and D2000 on a frequency graph (see link above) you will see this difference.

the th900's mids sound recessed compared to the w3000anv but you could say that the w3000anv's mids are forward and it's bass and treble roll off earlier. think it's fair to say that the th900 has a u shaped frequency response and the w3000anv has an n shaped frequency response. wouldn't describe the th900 as lush tho. i hear it as more dry.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #7,199 of 18,765
the th900's mids sound recessed compared to the w3000anv but you could say that the w3000anv's mids are forward and it's bass and treble roll off earlier. think it's fair to say that the th900 has a u shaped frequency response and the w3000anv has an n shaped frequency response. wouldn't describe the th900 as lush tho. i hear it as more dry.
my memory of the W3000anv is not great, but I would agree that the TH900 is a little dry in the mids. I assume that if the mids were more lush it might impact on the soundstage. Overall, I find the signature of the TH900 really engaging in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back