Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Sep 11, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #3,241 of 3,438
  I just joined the TH600 family and was wondering that is there any replacement pads that are considered better than the originals? My pads arent worn out but I'm just wondering for the future? And since I have them plugged into my Xonar Essence STX, is there any reason to change or upgrade my DAC/AMP?

Stick with the STX until you get another headphone that is harder to drive such as a HD-6XX, Beyer 250ohm or planar.  While the TH-600 will scale a touch with better gear its not going to be very noticeable difference IMO from you STX sound card  until you get into the higher end $1000+ range, and even then it might be questionable.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,242 of 3,438
The pad on the right is the ZMF. The left is the Alpha PadQuote:

Interesting... which alpha pads? i like the idea of the soft fabric on my ears instead of leather...

There's one choice for Alpha Pads.

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/

Brainwave makes a hybrid leather/velour pad. Mine are on tour with some other pads that are being tested on his Ether C. I think he's sending them back to me today, so it will be a while before I can test them on the TH600. If they work, I have a bunch of pads I can send to you for testing if you promise to return them and pay for shipping (I think it was $6)

post #4401 is my impressions on the Ether C. Assuming these pads fit the TH600, I have more impressions to write!

I was able to get the ZMF Cowhide pads on the TH-600. Monster bass with these pads. If you be wanting' more bass, this might be the way to go. It was a little tricky getting the white pad ring on; I had to squish the pad in my hand to pull the elastic back a bit, but it worked.

The pad on the right is the ZMF. The left is the Alpha Pad

The pad on the left is the ZMF and the right is the Alpha pad.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,243 of 3,438
I was able to get the ZMF Cowhide pads on the TH-600. Monster bass with these pads. If you be wanting' more bass, this might be the way to go. It was a little tricky getting the white pad ring on; I had to squish the pad in my hand to pull the elastic back a bit, but it worked.

I been saying this on the T1 thread, the ZMF cowhide transform headphones into bass monsters.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #3,244 of 3,438

I been saying this on the T1 thread, the ZMF cowhide transform headphones into bass monsters.

I tried that on my T1 and my head exploded. I guess because the TH600 is designed for leather pads, they are usable on the TH600, if you wanted a few do bass boost. On the T1, the bass is overwhelming.

As for the brainwavz pad, they should fit. I received my small collection of pads back today, so I can try them tomorrow at work on the 600.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,245 of 3,438
I tried that on my T1 and my head exploded. I guess because the TH600 is designed for leather pads, they are usable on the TH600, if you wanted a few do bass boost. On the T1, the bass is overwhelming.

As for the brainwavz pad, they should fit. I received my small collection of pads back today, so I can try them tomorrow at work on the 600.

Bass Port/Horn Loading could this be the reason perhaps? Could this type of pad configuration be akin to Horn loading or bass port loading? The Lawton lamb skin pads seem to be perhaps more neutral? The TH 600 seem to have a substantial amount of Bass to begin with. Taking that to a further extreme would seem to me perhaps be too much. I do love its bass response because orchestral strings in the bass region and in the cellos is quite chilling. But going further? I would have to hear this before giving judgement, rock okay but classical not sure about benefits.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,246 of 3,438
The Brainwavez HM5 pads fit. I tried the Angle Velors this morning, and they are comfortable. They are also a bit bass light, relative to the stock TH600 pads. I will try my Hybrid pads tomorrow. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,248 of 3,438
So the Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpad - Black PU/Velour fit and work well. They aren't angled, so the sound stage is a little less, but they are pretty comfortable. If you ant the bass slam of leather and the comfort of velour, these work and aren't very expensive. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #3,249 of 3,438
when i get mine im thinking of getting these for em  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-X00-TH-600-TH-900-Denon-AH-D5000-D5k-AH-D7000-D7k-Upgrade-cups-A3-/182253823577?hash=item2a6f2ca659:g:nmMAAOSwIgNXts~0

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #3,250 of 3,438
Anyone heard or read about the TH-610? Especially compared to the 600.

I assume Fostex will have them at RMAF, so hopefully I will hear them there.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #3,254 of 3,438

Quote:
  this what i need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/251782476752

That adapter will work but it does put a lot of stress on the 3.5mm jack of your device.  Most like to use the Grado one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Adapter-Female-1-4-to-Male-1-8-mini-Plug-fit-SENNHEISER-GRADO-Headphones-/201146213476?hash=item2ed53fa464:g:WBIAAOxyYu9SLrnH

Or if you DIY, something like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back