Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced
Feb 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #169 of 392
Had a friend bring them back from Japan for me, and out of the box, they're very nice. Can't say much on isolation because I'm in a quiet environment, but there is noticeable sibilance. The bass is a little more boomy than I was expecting, and this is coming from a pair of ESW9 and UM3X. The mids are very smooth and the treble is rather airy. Takes some getting used to, but it's a pretty decent set of phones. Would say that the mids are definitely worth trying these for.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #171 of 392
Pretty amazing feat that fostex has smooth mids, just like the im-02s have them, as well as having rather airy treble. 

The bass is what matters then, and at the moment, the im-02s have bass quality like the mikros, as well as the quantity.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #172 of 392
  Pretty amazing feat that fostex has smooth mids, just like the im-02s have them, as well as having rather airy treble. 

The bass is what matters then, and at the moment, the im-02s have bass quality like the mikros, as well as the quantity.

What about the IM-02 extension compared to the Mikros. Does your statement mean you like or enjoy the AT bass more than the Fostex or just that it is more like the Mikros. 

First we have the Fostex are like Mikros and now the AT are like the Mikros too, lol!

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #173 of 392

^ "Better" is all relative, haven't heard these TE-05s but the KEF M200s should sound like a different animal based on all the impressions of these TE-05s so far. I could be dead wrong. haha

Absolutely correct. It's getting ridiculous trying to compare these all of these of these earphones and say which one sounds better than the other. There's a point where you're not being honest with yourself or the other head-fi members when you say this sounds better than this. At a certain level, all of them sound good to great, but may not hit your own personal favorite sound signature. The M200 still sounds fantastic! So does the TE-05. I can't compare the sounds as which is better as they aren't similar at all. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #174 of 392

What about the IM-02 extension compared to the Mikros. Does your statement mean you like or enjoy the AT bass more than the Fostex or just that it is more like the Mikros. 

First we have the Fostex are like Mikros and now the AT are like the Mikros too, lol!

The highs are both equal in extension, except that the mikros sound grainy on their treble (imo), and the im-02s sound more natural to my ears. The ath-re700s would have sounded just as good in the treble if it weren't for the recession that it has compared to the sound spectrum... :/

My statement means that the im-02s is more like the mikros!

They both have the string pull that I don't normally hear in headphones

And they both have similar, but not the same quantity that I hear in music.

I need to hear some bass heavy music with the im-02s to hear if it has some great impact, and has heavy bass when called for.

The mikros also sound fuller while the im-02s sound thinner, as do the re700s as well, though the re700s don't sound that noticably thin as it's also a headphone, unlike the AT earphones.

I'm waiting for a $20 price drop in amazon japan so I can order the fostex for $150! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #175 of 392
Thanks! Sounds good! I heard the older 90 Pro and agree about smoother treble though I don't find the Mikros treble grainy but there zero there(very raw) to smooth over the notes and they will pick any up if it is before it in the chain.

Still going for the TE-05 most likely since I might just go for things like an H3 when they drop lower and also one of the new Vsonics and it will be nice to have cable compatibility amongst all the phones.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #176 of 392
  Thanks! Sounds good! I heard the older 90 Pro and agree about smoother treble though I don't find the Mikros treble grainy but there zero there(very raw) to smooth over the notes and they will pick any up if it is before it in the chain.

Still going for the TE-05 most likely since I might just go for things like an H3 when they drop lower and also one of the new Vsonics and it will be nice to have cable compatibility amongst all the phones.

What did you mean here? This somewhat complicated matters for me. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #177 of 392
  What did you mean here? This somewhat complicated matters for me. 

I mean it shows raw clean treble notes with nothing added. Something like the CLIP player have a bit of grainy treble and the Mikros will show it. My main players have no real grain even unamped and the Mikros shows none. Okay, maybe a few of my iriver's many preset EQ's have a little grain like ALL ROUND 2/ALL ROUND 3/METAL RULES/ELECTRO HOUSE etc. if they are trying to bring edginess to the sound. So, maybe the 90 Will show grain that other headphone don't due to their high resolution. Also could be the pads/fit related as well. Some of the cables could get rid of it as well. Seems like that cheap beats replacement cable is warmer and smoother for $5 or less, IIRC. Should be a solution anyhow so no worries I'd think.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #178 of 392
Really thinking about these little guys...it's between these, the W30, and VSD3 (if the latter two ever actually exist...) for my next IEM. I really like the MMCX connector and the tiny form factor; they seem like they could be potential pocket IEMs like my SE215.

How's soundstage on these? Could anyone compare to SM3, TF10, or X10?

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #179 of 392

I mean it shows raw clean treble notes with nothing added. Something like the CLIP player have a bit of grainy treble and the Mikros will show it. My main players have no real grain even unamped and the Mikros shows none. Okay, maybe a few of my iriver's many preset EQ's have a little grain like ALL ROUND 2/ALL ROUND 3/METAL RULES/ELECTRO HOUSE etc. if they are trying to bring edginess to the sound. So, maybe the 90 Will show grain that other headphone don't due to their high resolution. Also could be the pads/fit related as well. Some of the cables could get rid of it as well. Seems like that cheap beats replacement cable is warmer and smoother for $5 or less, IIRC. Should be a solution anyhow so no worries I'd think.

Ahh now it makes sense, thanks for clearing that up!

I do agree that in certain instances, it does sound grainy, and mostly due to the sources. That's why I hate reference headphones, even the ath-im02s exhibit this problem, not so much the grainyness, but it is more about silibance than anything in its regard.

I also hear grainyness on the es700s, especially on all songs. That's why I can hear the mikros sound grainy, especially since the re700s sound pretty smooth, but still has that resolution you'd like. I don't know, it's just me probably.

Those beats I do want, too bad they're cheapos in build quality! Just like the brand! Jk...

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #180 of 392
Isolation on these are, as expected, pretty awful, especially on the train. I've since switched from the small supplied tips to a pair of bi-flanges (no idea which brand, fished them out of my box of tips), and I do feel that they're a bit more comfortable and isolating. The bass does seem a little tighter now too :) really enjoying these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back