Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Aug 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,186 of 2,832
@TrollDragon
Wow, that's a lot bigger difference than I noticed in my pairs. Are the regular ones well worn? I compared two new sets, maybe there's something wrong with my pair.......
I bought my HM5 pads from the FS forum, they were used but I can't say how much. It's possible they had books stacked on them for a while till the guy sold them but I doubt it. I remember asking if they were in new condition and was told yes but I have no other ones to compare them with.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,187 of 2,832
I hate the Sony plastic Schiit they put on pads you look like your have ear leprosy after it starts to flake and peel...

I have the thick pads on my Ultrasones at the moment which did have regular HM5 pads. I can't really say if isolation is any better or not but the foam is quite a bit stiffer and keeps the driver's a little further from your ears.

Oh, and how is stiff any better? Especially if the pleather isn't as soft, duh. More distance means less bass and more hollow sound I guess?

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,188 of 2,832
This Velour pad thing has been bugging me peter123 now I have to make them fit... People here should leave some things well enough alone. :D

TBC...

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,189 of 2,832
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... They do fit but I did manage to tear one of the backs in the process... :frowning2:

Now for some listening!
:beerchug:

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,190 of 2,832
@TrollDragon

Sorry to hear that you teared one :frowning2:

Yeah, they're really a pain in the a** to fit. Looks good in your pictures though :)

I think I'll need to make a new pair with 840 pads and keep these the way they are. I really enjoy them both ways but they're very different sounding.

For some reason I don't see myself changing the pads every time I want to enjoy a different signature.......

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,191 of 2,832
No problem peter123, I'll get the wife to throw a little zigzag stitch on it from her machine. The first one went on quite easily, the little band of elastic on the edge must have been a little bit bigger on it.

It does provide a more airy sound to the DBV3's and keeps the baffles away from your ears a bit. This does appear to lessen the bass a bit but I think it is just a volume change, if you push the driver's closer it all comes back like the 840 pads.

The foam in the Velours is quite dense so that is why I don't think the sound changes too much after compression.

I put the 840's back on to get the tear sewn, I think the link I posted earlier to that excellent repair job would work perfect with these pads. It will make them much easier to get on and off without the possibility of tearing.

Now to convince the wife I need her to run a piece of inner tube through her machine... Wish me luck with that one! :D
:beerchug:

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,192 of 2,832
No problem peter123, I'll get the wife to throw a little zigzag stitch on it from her machine. The first one went on quite easily, the little band of elastic on the edge must have been a little bit bigger on it.

It does provide a more airy sound to the DBV3's and keeps the baffles away from your ears a bit. This does appear to lessen the bass a bit but I think it is just a volume change, if you push the driver's closer it all comes back like the 840 pads.

The foam in the Velours is quite dense so that is why I don't think the sound changes too much after compression.

I put the 840's back on to get the tear sewn, I think the link I posted earlier to that excellent repair job would work perfect with these pads. It will make them much easier to get on and off without the possibility of tearing.

Now to convince the wife I need her to run a piece of inner tube through her machine... Wish me luck with that one!
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

LOL!

Good luck 
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,193 of 2,832
  I've got another custom pair of cups in the works for someone :D

This time they're going to have 3 bass ports which you can close and open based on your needs.

How are you going to approach that? Close the ones you don't want with grommets?
Thanks for the post hope you post the final product. BTW the white/pearl ones are amazingly nice.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,194 of 2,832
I'm not totally sure what I'm going to use to plug the holes yet. I'll likely be walking around Lowes looking for just the right thing. 

And thanks! These are going to be the same color.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,195 of 2,832

Oh, and how is stiff any better? Especially if the pleather isn't as soft, duh. More distance means less bass and more hollow sound I guess?

My regular HM5 pads were obtained used, so like I stated earlier they could have been placed under a set of books but who knows...

The pleather on the regular pad feels softer than the newer thick pads pleather does, but by no means are the newer pads very stiff or uncomfortable. It's like comparing goatskin and lambskin, both are very soft and supple but the end the lambskin is a little softer. The regular pads have a lot more slack in them which would lead to a softer feel as well. I believe if you packed a regular pad with the same quantity of memory foam you would end up with a newer thick pad since the actual material size is very close.

With the regular HM5 pads my ear tips touch the baffles of the GMP 8.300 D's, with the new thicker pads they do not as the stiffness of the newer pads keep them a few mm away from baffle. A slight push inward on the cups will make my ear tips touch the baffles similar to when the regular pads are installed. This in no way makes the GMP's have any less bass or sound anywhere near hollow. It actually makes the newer pads more comfortable for me on the GMP's.

I suggest the best thing is that you order a pair and check them out.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-thick-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

Don't forget to order two as they sell them as singles, and they would be very easy to sell in the FS forum if they are not to your liking.
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,196 of 2,832
  I'm not totally sure what I'm going to use to plug the holes yet. I'll likely be walking around Lowes looking for just the right thing. 

And thanks! These are going to be the same color.

Ink Jet refill plugs comes with a tab to remove them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Rubber-Plugs-for-CANON-HP-Brother-EPSON-DIY-CISS-CIS-Refillable-Ink-Cartridge-/320977622950

Users who are viewing this thread

Back