Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Apr 17, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 2,017
wow, thats actually nice looking

finally gave it a padded headband too

I wonder how much less awful than the older stock version it is (if at all...)

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #20 of 2,017
I was just talking about the price of these and what another user and I think it will be. 

assume that the upgrades to these drivers are probably something similar to what Mr. Speakers is already doing with the Prime's drivers. I doubt Fostex would overlook somebody claiming to improve the drivers that they are manufacturing by the masses, especially if those modifications could save on supplies/labor.

As for price, they cannot be as cheap as the current MK2 now that they have a leather/pleather covered headband and additional plastic pieces to hold that fabric there, the wire going through the headband is not sleeved so that will increase the price, the "Fostex" name being printed in color will up the price a little, and the upgraded ear pads. 

Now, they do have a base rate that they can expect them to sell at since they have already had 2 versions of these same headphones come out, so they can produce them at a certain bulk; more being sold, the higher quantities they can buy supplies at, lower rates. 

They can't sell them anywhere near the EL-8/TH500RP price, or they may not sell them at all because they will be in a higher tier and there are more options for the same quality sound, and they won't be as appealing to the modding community. They can't be too cheap or the profit won't be high enough. Which brings me to my estimated price:::::: $179 USD.

The thing is, Mr. Speakers patented it. My guess is they just did the same refinements that are on the t500rp maybe....

All I know is my wallet will be crying.

I would agree with that price estimate. Although now a days, there is no way a t50rp costs anywhere near $64.50 to make (double mark up), I wouldnt be too surprised if A: it's the 179, B: it's way more, or C: it's the same price As current gen.

Doesn't look like they changed too too much. At least I can use my current pads, and rolled cotter (depending on the mods that are to be done anyways)

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #21 of 2,017
The thing is, Mr. Speakers patented it. My guess is they just did the same refinements that are on the t500rp maybe....

All I know is my wallet will be crying.

I would agree with that price estimate. Although now a days, there is no way a t50rp costs anywhere near $64.50 to make (double mark up), I wouldnt be too surprised if A: it's the 179, B: it's way more, or C: it's the same price As current gen.

Doesn't look like they changed too too much. At least I can use my current pads, and rolled cotter (depending on the mods that are to be done anyways)

The TH500RP is the t50rp drivers in an open-back enclosure, and it goes for $600... sooooo who knows what the pricing of this will end up being.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #22 of 2,017
  The TH500RP is the t50rp drivers in an open-back enclosure

pretty sure the driver traces and baffle were tweaked for the TH500 so not identical

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 2,017
  pretty sure the driver traces and baffle were tweaked for the TH500 so not identical

you are probably right. I am sure they did some fine-tuning of the t50rp drivers in the th500. I was just pointing out that you can't estimate final headphone price from the driver costs.

cheers!

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 2,017
  you are probably right. I am sure they did some fine-tuning of the t50rp drivers in the th500. I was just pointing out that you can't estimate final headphone price from the driver costs.

cheers!

Yessir agreed :)

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #27 of 2,017
Side note

My Google fu, no matter what I search for, the only sliver of info or photos about these, is this very thread, and that is it. Nothing anywhere else.

For instance, this photo should have had to come from somewhere.... you have the source Sopp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back