Fostex HP-P1 VS Gen5.5 imod + RSA SR-71B balanced output - Now with Fostex HP-P1 Review Page 2
Feb 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #31 of 55
Nice work on both reviews Lillee. 
beerchug.gif

For a long time I have been scratching my head about getting an iMod, so I'm glad I held out and got the HP-P1 instead.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #32 of 55
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Yeah I had to find out for myself (at great expense) but it's done and I am happy and can sleep soundly at night haha.

Next step in my musical journey: headphones. I feel it's a daunting task, at least for my wallet's sake! I am two minds about it and really am not too fond of headphones. It makes my ears hot! I can always fire up the Luxman downstairs...

Those Westone ES5X's look the business for 1200 bananas!

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #33 of 55
Don't forget to add your review (or a review) to the product page: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-hp-p1 
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #35 of 55

Decided to remove my comment original comment... There are many good looking setups around here.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 55

Quote:
Thanks for advice, I have added it as a link to this thread. Not sure if I should cut and paste instead?

I reckon you should paste the review in there, but link to this thread.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #38 of 55
I will soon get a Fostex HP-P1 for my iPod Classic but I have a question. Since the Fostex DAC supports playing FLAC 24/96 files but the Classic doesn't, unless you put Rockbox in it, would it still work with a Rockboxed iPod Classic?

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #39 of 55
I am not entirely sure but, isn't rock box only compatible with iPod gen 5.5 and older? If so I can confirm it does not work with my imod gen 5.5 running apple software

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #40 of 55

Quote:
I am not entirely sure but, isn't rock box only compatible with iPod gen 5.5 and older? If so I can confirm it does not work with my imod gen 5.5 running apple software

It's not a finalized, stable version yet but you can actually port Rockbox on a Classic 6G/7G  but it's a little bit more complicated. Just check freemyipod.org and it shows how to do it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #41 of 55

Quote:
It's not a finalized, stable version yet but you can actually port Rockbox on a Classic 6G/7G  but it's a little bit more complicated. Just check freemyipod.org and it shows how to do it.

All well and good but whether it works with the Fostex, I haven't got a clue

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #42 of 55
I'm pretty sure Rockbox is not supported for digital output. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #43 of 55
Oh well. I still have my iPad with Flac Player so it's alright.
I also read that the amp is not very good on the Fostex compared to a SR71 but by how far? Can it drive for example a HiFiMan HE-500 or LCD-2 to quite loud listening levels?
I'm upgrading from a Fiio E11 so surely, the amp section of the Fostex is going to be way more powerful. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #44 of 55
I read before about the Fostex being challenged with the LCD-2 compared to SR-71B but then it sounds like not many portable amps can handle the LCD2? I think it was Mike's review at headfonia but can't be sure.

I left the E11 behind 2 amps ago, so yes it is far better quality if not more powerful. With easy to drive headphones or IEMs the Fostex is excellent.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #45 of 55

Quote:
Oh well. I still have my iPad with Flac Player so it's alright.
I also read that the amp is not very good on the Fostex compared to a SR71 but by how far? Can it drive for example a HiFiMan HE-500 or LCD-2 to quite loud listening levels?
I'm upgrading from a Fiio E11 so surely, the amp section of the Fostex is going to be way more powerful. 

There are more things about the sound of an amp than whether it will drive a certain headphone; i.e., tonal quality, attack speed, imaging. In addition to that one needs to think about which headphone you will be using since the headphone has a huge impact on how the amp will responds due to the impedance matching. You will be reading about the synergy of your components around here that this is what is being discussed when the word synergy is used.  Headphone efficiency is another thing that will be important among other things.

I have the B model that does balanced mode and single ended.  Single ended HP-P1 and my B model are close enough for me not to think of using the B model with the headphones that I use but going balanced with my iBasso DB2 DAC the more complex setup is much more enjoyable than the simple HP-P1 and headphone. 

When using my portable setups I am using either of these; Senn HD-25 or the Beyer DT1350.  Both are able to go either single ended or balanced.  Right now my preference between these is the DT1350 with the Senn HD25 velour pads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back