Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread
May 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #316 of 4,782
My cables arrived at my work today :)

Initial inspection shows the package to be in perfect condition and the cables look beautiful. I was wary when I ordered blue because I didn't know what shade of blue they would be. As it turns out they're pretty close to the perfect Pantone 300.

More impressions to follow :) :) :)

May 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #317 of 4,782
Dear God! :)

May 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #318 of 4,782
My cables arrived at my work today
smily_headphones1.gif

Initial inspection shows the package to be in perfect condition and the cables look beautiful. I was wary when I ordered blue because I didn't know what shade of blue they would be. As it turns out they're pretty close to the perfect Pantone 300.

More impressions to follow
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Pictures! =]

May 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #319 of 4,782
did you guys use the postal option or the courier option?  I've had really bad luck with the former.  Courier is way more expensive but at least your gear will arrive. Twice now I have had items 'lost' either to Matthew (for alteration) or from Matthew, even with tracking.  First time when I was expecting a parcel from him that didn't show up, he was good enough to re-send (I paid for courier that second time) but it happened again recently when I was sending back a cable for alteration (postal with tracking) and he never received it, I think I can kiss goodbye to that one.

Happy to report that I received a cable 4 days after Matthew posted it (using Poland postal service). Cable is great, will post pics. Excellent work and top service as usual from forza/Matthew.

May 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #320 of 4,782
mine got held at customs
Item held by customs for AWAITING PRESENTATION TO CUSTOMS COMMISSIONER MPC PMIH (KLIA)
30-Apr-2014 2104

May 2, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #321 of 4,782

May 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #325 of 4,782
That's the soul as I always think, mistakes can happen, to anyone. That's not important. Important thing is, one has to know how to solve the problems.

Matt btw, I would probably send you an email soon about cables and maybe a possible dap purchase. I have some questions about the dap so I hope we can try to find a way. I will introduce myself when I send you an email (mentioning that I am AmberOzL from head fi).

May 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #326 of 4,782
  That's the soul as I always think, mistakes can happen, to anyone. That's not important. Important thing is, one has to know how to solve the problems.

Matt btw, I would probably send you an email soon about cables and maybe a possible dap purchase. I have some questions about the dap so I hope we can try to find a way. I will introduce myself when I send you an email (mentioning that I am AmberOzL from head fi).

True. I always want to treat others as I would like to be treated buying some equipment or other things for myself :)

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #327 of 4,782
I've taken my sweet time with this eh? I received my cable order yesterday. In total it took 5 weeks to hit Scottish shores but it turned out the problem was in sourcing an appropriate 1/4" jack. That took four weeks and so the actual delivery only took five days. I'm happy with that but it might have been an idea to tell me they hadn't even been built after nearly 28 days. It would have saved me some worry. In my line of work I've found communication to be key in retaining customers.

Still, was it worth the wait? Indeed it was :)

I like the packaging. Simple, secure & environmentally friendly. What's not to like? I ordered a 1m length of the basic "Colour" cable, terminated at one end with Sennheiser HD 650 plugs and at the other with the 6.3mm Neutrik plug. Chunky! I also ordered a 2m extension cable in the same material and 6.3mm Neutrik plug but on the other end the problematic 6.3mm socket. Both cables are blue. One thing to point out is that the 6.3mm socket is not gold-plated. I'm guessing nobody makes them but even so I doubt I'd be able to hear a difference. The cables are completely non-microphonic. This is a good thing. The build quality is superb! I absolutely cannot fault the workmanship here.

b53847c3b649ad2acd911fd364bf5a80_zpseb6cf0fa.jpg

How do they sound? I'm a believer in cables making a difference. How much depends on so many variables though that it's almost impossible to quantify. Having said that I wasn't particularly expecting anything to improve. As long as it sounded as good as the stock cable (which I was happy with, sonically speaking) I would be happy. When I first listened I suspected that something had changed but I wasn't convinced. Throughout yesterday evening I threw everything at my head, even music I wouldn't normally listen to - Rick Ross anyone? A big song around these parts is Iron Sky by Paolo Nutini. Something happened that gave me a fright. I suddenly had hiss! My amp is an O2. This should not be happening. I kept the headphones on while I checked all my connections and even restarting JRiver. I started the Nutini album (Caustic Love) from the beginning and was relieved to hear all was well and the O2 was as silent as it always is.

4beb6239ac14000f1a7788ac96cdcb72_zps255d43be.jpg

Can you see what's coming?

JRiver ticked through the tracks until Iron Sky and yup, the hiss was back. Tape hiss! All my other music sounded a bit airier too but this blew me away. A whole new level! From the FAW entry line too.

Of course that's going to be the kicker. Now I've convinced myself headphone cables do make a difference that Claire (who she?) model higher up the range looks tempting. I know about diminishing returns and I know the improvements to be had aren't "night & day" but they are important. There's worse hobbies to have.

c413142a0d631e9e2d66a94f3c370ae8_zpsa7abc051.jpg

I'll be buying from Forza Audio Works again. I want to get a Claire 3.5mm cable to connect my Clip+ to my E18. I would also like to investigate a custom build of a cable for my V-Moda M-100's. I changed the stock cable as soon as I bought the V-Moda's. I went for a Nuforce Transition and until now it's performed well. However, now that I'm using a Clip+ I could really do with a 90deg 3.5mm at the source end and straight at the headphones end. The problem with this is that, although V-Moda made a good decision (IMO) in employing 3.5mm terminations, they buggered it up by making the socket recessed. The Nuforce fits nicely but from the look of the examples on the FAW website I don't think Matthews' plugs would be slim enough.perhaps Matthew might like to comment or PM me.

Even Chalky is happy...

1d37f03e6a1a041d415f5aed46c4bbb8_zps7e29770d.jpg

One more thing. I think the FAW website is a piece of art. Terrific presentation! The build & order process is beautifully transparent. The latest upgrade of the initial language selection is a bit strange (although sadly not unique) in it's choice of a Union flag to denote English. It should be the St. George's Cross of England. Also, that Union flag is about to become history. Tak!

I'll update with photos as & when.

May 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #329 of 4,782
Hi everyone,

a question to those of you who have an Audeze LCD-2 or -3:

Can anyone give me an idea of the weight and flexibility difference between the Noir Mk2 cable and the stock cable that ships with the headphone?
I recently got myself the Audeze LCD-3 headphone, but I would like to have a longer cable of 5m. So I'm currently looking for a sturdy, yet flexible, nice looking replacement cable - but I do not want to add further weight to the already pretty heave LCD-3. The Noir Mk2 looks like a decent choice.

Best regards from Germany.

May 6, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #330 of 4,782
sad: the cable is doa
happy: get a replacement cable upgraded

now the waiting game repeats, but matez hasn't replied my email, wondering if he is really packed up busy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back