For those which have heard both is there a clear winner? HE-6 / LCD 2
Feb 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #106 of 185
I do not believe there is a question of which is best as they are both that good. The HE6 does some stuff better and vice versa the LCD2 does stuff better like vocals and deeper bass. I think what it will come down to is what your preference are. I also dont rule out the HD800 because of stuff it does better also namely it is the most comfortable and has the biggest soundstage. For me it will be a tough call on which I would sell but I do use my Omega monitors and eventually one will go. Which one remains to be seen but i cant see having the three or maybe I can but in a few week I will know better. All great phones

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #107 of 185

This is from another thread but I didn't want to keep posting there since it is the thread comparing the planars to other top tier phones. 
Quote:
Probably. I wish I could just change mine to 10x (which would make it unusable with all my other headphones by the way) and re-assess the HE6 but even if the imaging issue is fixed (I'm specifically referring to the missing center image here), I'm still inclined to think that there are things that the LCD2 does better than the HE6. The former is better in rendering depth like how forward or backward is a certain instrument positioned in the soundscape, the LCD2 also edges the HE6 in separating instruments from one another or vocals from instruments, it is also the speedier headphone and I thought that its bass is cleaner and extends lower than the HE6. 

All in all, I think ultimately the LCD2 is more precise while the HE6 is more musical. 

I read of the center fill problem for some before I purchased mine and I was concerned. What is interesting is that I have zero problems with that and I use three portables that drive the HE-6 to good levels and I get a good presentation of depth and width. The fi.Q puts out a lot of power and runs at 24 volts, while both portable balanced amps also have power and voltage swing that works well, IMO. I look forward to you hearing these on an amp that will give you the full spectrum of sound. 

I also think that the preciseness of the HE-6 would improve with different amplification. I tend to think the HE-6 are a little more precise and the LC-2 more musical but really enjoy them both. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #108 of 185

Quote:

I read of the center fill problem for some before I purchased mine and I was concerned. What is interesting is that I have zero problems with that and I use three portables that drive the HE-6 to good levels and I get a good presentation of depth and width. The fi.Q puts out a lot of power and runs at 24 volts, while both portable balanced amps also have power and voltage swing that works well, IMO. I look forward to you hearing these on an amp that will give you the full spectrum of sound. 

x 2.  I have not problem with center fill with the HE-6 and B22.

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #109 of 185
Interesting, I feel that the HE-6 is the precise one and the LCD-2 is the more musical headphone.

blink.gif
L3000.gif
blink.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #110 of 185
The center fill issue is not very obvious I think. It's like there is a thin hair of disconnect between the sounds of the left and right. The easiest way to discern this is using music that has vocal in the center with instruments in the background. 

Still, I readily admit that I can be wrong. I wish more experienced and critical members of this forum can chime in on the comparison. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #111 of 185

Quote:
The center fill issue is not very obvious I think. It's like there is a thin hair of disconnect between the sounds of the left and right. The easiest way to discern this is using music that has vocal in the center with instruments in the background. 

Still, I readily admit that I can be wrong. I wish more experienced and critical members of this forum can chime in on the comparison. 

I have 35 years experience with high end gear and do not find the issue you describe John Amato has more years than me. I think you looking for someone to agree with you we are as experienced as can be and we do not find that issue nor does anyone else who has chimed in. More critical Skylab has not mentioned this issue either, Maybe it just not for you and just move on if not. What you implying is we are not experienced or critical is not correct. I believe maybe you need to listen again or it could be you just do not like them which is fine but pal more experience than your getting is not going to happen as we are experienced enough to know what we are talking about as is Headphone addict who also has made no mention of the issue you describe. This problem was evident in the prototype and was there because my headphone amp could not power them perhaps that is your issue. The only drawback of the hE6 is you need a powerful amp to drive them properly and it will not perform its best if it is not driven properly. What your looking for is someone to agree with you

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #112 of 185
I mentioned it as well as a few others, I had this issue when I first got them. They were underpowered off my headphone amp (Singlepower Extreme). Since changing my amp, I've not had any problems with soundstage. I just now completed listening to DSotM and am holding on to the couch arm until I can catch my balance.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #113 of 185
I'm driving my HE-6 from the speaker out of three different tube amps, and I have not had any issue with center fill, or with image definition or stability, with the HE-6. I do think that the sound staging capabilities of my top-end dynamics are perhaps just a little better in some respects, but other than the R10, the HE-6 beats them in transparency - it betters the T1, HD800, Chroma MD1, which are all excellent, but not up to the level of the HE-6 in this regard. This is more meaningful to me than the last few percentage of soundstage performance.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #114 of 185
Is that a bass-heavy or bass-light R10? I haven't heard one in a while but I was very impressed with the soundstage. It's still a little hard to imagine a closed headphone to have a presentation like that, the soundscape is not too small, not too big, very realistic. Quite the conundrum. Alas as good as the R10 is, I think its main weakness is it's rather genre-specific other than the prohibitive price of course. 

@Frank
I think you should stop putting words in my mouth.

Nevertheless, it is about time we have to agree to disagree as this could go on and on. Let me apologize in advance if I had caused any offence. I certainly didn't mean that way. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #115 of 185

Is that a bass-heavy or bass-light R10? I haven't heard one in a while but I was very impressed with the soundstage. It's still a little hard to imagine a closed headphone to have a presentation like that, the soundscape is not too small, not too big, very realistic. Quite the conundrum. Alas as good as the R10 is, I think its main weakness is it's rather genre-specific other than the prohibitive price of course.

mine is the bass-heavy R10. I listen almost exclusively to rock and jazz, and for those genres it's excellent. And the soundstage is outstanding, and amazing for a closed can especially. But as you point out, it's hard to get, in many different ways...

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #116 of 185
The one I've heard is the bass-light version. I wish I could hear the bass-heavy version since it's touted as the superior version as far as I know. 

Yeah, I think I know what you mean, the "sweetness". it's a Japanese thing I guess, very hard to put in words. 
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #117 of 185
I own both of these can. I like both, but I prefer the HE-6. I bought the LCD-2 for movies and bass heavy music. I think it does a good job and has its place. I find the instrument separation to be much better with the HE-6. It has a lighter airier feel to me. The LCD-2 has more bass, and feel a bit more flat in regards to the separation. I think both are very clear, and I can listen with either and not complain. However, If it is music that I do not feel needs extra bass emphasis, I almost always go for the HE-6. I will occasionally go with the LCD-2, because I find them to be a bit more smooth throughout, and it can make for a better relaxing sound. With the less emphasized high end, it is easy to listen to for "background music" if you will. I don't necessarily mean while doing other things, but say you just want to kick back and not over think the music and just listen, I find the LCD-2 better. I analyzing the music more with the HE-6, which I do not always want to do.

I am new to the Headphone thing, so don't take this as an expert opinion. Also I have also only had the LCD-2 for about a week. I am however not new to Audio. I used to own a pair of Magnepan MG/12's powered by some nice mono blocks. I never thought I could find a pair of headphones as open and spacial as those. While I still think they sounded more natural, they also were not as detailed as my current headphone system. I apologize for the last part being slightly off topic.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #119 of 185
Thanks for your thoughts comparing the two. How's the Schiit Lyr do at powering the HE-6?  Does it have enough "umph?"

I too own both, love both, but I prefer the LCD-2s. They are still the most true to life headphones that I own. BTW, absolutely the Lyr does a phenomenal job driving the HE-6s....4 watts in to 50 ohms is plenty!

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #120 of 185
The Lyr works well. I never turn it up much higher than around 12 with the HE-6 and maybe 9 or 10 wit the LCD-2, so no problem with power. I very much like the LCD-2, so I hope it does not come across otherwise. MacedonianHero, was in fact an influencing factor on my decision. I am now saving for A Smyth Realiser. If I am forced to sell one pair in order to purchase it, I would likely sell the HE-6. I think the LCD-2 would do a better job in that application, but that is just conjecture. I find them similar, and both amazing. I don't think their will ever be a unanimous winner between these two cans, but  I always love hearing other peoples opinions, and I hope they keep coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back