For those which have heard both is there a clear winner? HE-6 / LCD 2
Feb 2, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #91 of 185

Quote:
I agree, the bass on both is excellent, different, but excellent. I was concerned from what I read that the HE-6 might be a bit bass shy, no way. That hold a beautiful bass note and it sounds natural. I would have normally found a favorite by now, the one I want to keep on the head all the time but they won't both fit at the same time! 

If anything the HE-6 have too much bass...for my tastes anyways. Good quality though and very extended.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #92 of 185
The bass on the HE6 is natural and very deep. The quality of bass that you would hear live comes to mind. I am not big on measurements but i would venture to say this is the type of bass you would hear on a full range speaker. For me it always about being able to produce the pedal of the Pipe Organ which is what most designers strive but rarely ever accomplish. The HE6 has succeeded in hitting that target and does it so well as does the LCD2. It may appear different than the LCD2 mainly because the sound stage is much better on the HE6 than the LCD2. Overall every other headphone on the market does not achieve the type of bass that the two planar have.The bass is not overpowering on either headphone and better than ny other can I have heard to date.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #93 of 185
Frank

funny you should write that -did you see my sig ?

The HE6 is the only 'phone that I can tolerate listening to Organ music - Richter would have been proud

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #94 of 185
The organ has the deepest bass of any instrument I know. I also know from years in the hobby that to reproduce it you need to be in 18hz range to get a clear reproduction and for me the HE6 can reproduce the pipe organ. This is a major feat only handful of very expensive speakers can accomplish and simply amazing that headphones can do this. The most important thing is that the hE6 does it musically accurate IMO and to my ears. The Reference Recording of Pipes and Organs showcases this and really is a challenge for most high end speakers to reproduce let alone  a top flight headphone. The HE6 has not failed in its portrayal of the powerful and mighty Pipe Organ Fang has accomplished his goal of a truly world class reference headphone.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #95 of 185
Both orthos can hit low end detail like no other and as has been said, few speaker/subs can achieve. I've tried every bass note I use to test by and the HE-6 has covered with texture and detail at the bottom. Very rare indeed.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #96 of 185

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, the bass on both is excellent, different, but excellent. I was concerned from what I read that the HE-6 might be a bit bass shy, no way. That hold a beautiful bass note and it sounds natural. I would have normally found a favorite by now, the one I want to keep on the head all the time but they won't both fit at the same time! 

If anything the HE-6 have too much bass...for my tastes anyways. Good quality though and very extended.

I find that HE6 has a slight mid-bass bloat compared to LCD2 which is very clean in this area. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #97 of 185

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I find that HE6 has a slight mid-bass bloat compared to LCD2 which is very clean in this area. 

I find zero bloat in bass. I will go so gfar as to say the HE6 is very balanced has more air and space and a bigger sound stage. Sort of like a T1 with more transparency across the board. The HE6 is a special can but needs the right amp to shine and is revealing of anything in the chain. The LCD2 does vocal a tad better but the HE6 is not slouch here either and the treble is to die for. But make no mistake the LCD2 and HE6 are the top tier the second tier now being the HD800 and T1 IMO. Amazing achievement that two relatively new comers beat the majors and beat them by a wide margin IMO. Comfort wise and soundstage king is the HD800. You can wear them for hours with zero pain which is why I bought them

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #98 of 185
Probably. The β22 might not be enough for the HE6 based on the current trend. 
tongue.gif

That aside, I wish I could combine the LCD2 with the treble of HE6 and comfort of HD800. If I can have that then I don't have to live with the knowledge that the LCD2 is a compromise (albeit a good one) for the Stax O2. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #99 of 185

Quote:
tongue.gif

That aside, I wish I could combine the LCD2 with the treble of HE6 and comfort of HD800. If I can have that then I don't have to live with the knowledge that the LCD2 is a compromise (albeit a good one) for the Stax O2. 

The problem with the magnets I dont think any of them will be able to weigh less without compromise somewhere. I kind of like having the three around but boy the neck feel best with the HD800

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #100 of 185

Quote:
Quote:
tongue.gif

The problem with the magnets I dont think any of them will be able to weigh less without compromise somewhere. I kind of like having the three around but boy the neck feel best with the HD800

Exactly. Can't make matter weigh less magically, so I bet the subsequent high-end ortho models will continue to be heavy. It's a trade-off for great sound.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #101 of 185
The current high performance magnets are already very light compared to what they used to be. With new rare minerals being used, it wouldn't seem that until a new breakthrough is discovered, the weight will decrease. 

What about the effect of the EMF on our head? 

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #104 of 185
After careful consideration out of the same system, I can conclude that while the HE-6 is my best headphone, the LCD-2 is my favorite headphone. I'm not sure how conclusive that conclusion is, actually.
Much more research will be required 
L3000.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #105 of 185

Quote:
" I can conclude that while the HE-6 is my best headphone, the LCD-2 is my favorite headphone. "

yes yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back