For 6BL7 tube users
Jun 4, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #227 of 608
Hi pct,

Don't want to give you the upgrade bug..... There has been many occasions when I thought that what i have is just about perfect, and I was very happy with the modded Little Dot MKIII.

Then the Elise came on the scene, and people whose judgment I trusted claimed that it sounded much better. Waited for a while to see if others concurred. When that happened I bought the Elise, and as soon as I heard it I knew that that there was no return to the LD MKIII.

At this stage I have tried various tube combinations with the Elise, but by no means all, and certainly not the super expensive ones. Still, I feel that what I have now is superior to anything else I tried.

A number of people feel that multiple 6BL7 tubes beat any 6AS7 family tube in sound quality. The argument that if they are so good, why shouldn't the high end manufacturers be using them? is not an argument. People who manufacture amps cannot rely on a supply of one tube at a time - they have to be available in quantity. This is the reason why manufacturers of tube amps using multiple tubes are turning to Russian and Chinese sources. Even though I have been told that the 6AS7 variants are no longer produced in Russia, there are ample stocks around. Seems that there is current Chinese production.

If good is good, isn't better better?

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #228 of 608
@mordy. I'm not really opposed to trying the multiple 6BL7s in my Elise's power slots. In fact, I own Mrs. X's 6X adapter and 3 pair of 6BL7s. I still need external power. If I decide to try the 6BL7s I'll probably buy the Triad transform @JazzVinyl has recommended.

I'm in no real hurry because I discovered a 4-tube-total combo for my Elise that is giving me everything I had hoped for. This isn't the place to discuss that, but I have mentioned it on the Elise thread.

Cheers)))

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #229 of 608

If you make your own adapters besides grid stoppers on every grid put a equalizing resistor on each cathode to balance 
the current in the tubes.    Or modify the adapters you have with these resistors.
This is what I do in OTLs that have six 6BL7s and the current is close to the same in all the tubes.

@2359glenn
I still remember the picture of that beautiful system you uploaded.

I am also a fan of multiple parallel tubes.  Just wanted to share some "neg.  Impact" which should not be ignored.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #230 of 608
By the way, @mordy  I know you recommend using socket savers with the 6X adapter. I have looked for some but cannot find. I would appreciate it if you could let me know if you know any place where they are available. Thanks ))

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #232 of 608
Octal Socket Savers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUBE-AMP-Octal-8-pin-socket-savers-5-each-also-extend-wide-base-6L6s-in-amps-/401129888422

tongue.gif

Thanks 
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #233 of 608
Hi pct,

Here is a link to a Chinese outfit that I bought from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bakelite-Vacuum-Tube-Saver-Socket-Testing-1pc-9pin-Fr-12AX7-1pc-8pin-Octal-DIY-/161256246187?hash=item258b9f0bab:g:2-kAAMXQuTNTLSH-

At the moment they do not have any offer for 4 x octal socket savers, but I am sure that they will accommodate you if you contact them. I the past i paid approximately $2.50 each including shipping. Quality isn't the greatest, but they work.

I use my socket savers in the four sockets on the Elise to save wear and tear.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #234 of 608
  Hi pct,

Here is a link to a Chinese outfit that I bought from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bakelite-Vacuum-Tube-Saver-Socket-Testing-1pc-9pin-Fr-12AX7-1pc-8pin-Octal-DIY-/161256246187?hash=item258b9f0bab:g:2-kAAMXQuTNTLSH-

At the moment they do not have any offer for 4 x octal socket savers, but I am sure that they will accommodate you if you contact them. I the past i paid approximately $2.50 each including shipping. Quality isn't the greatest, but they work.

I use my socket savers in the four sockets on the Elise to save wear and tear.

Thanks Mordy. I think we know at least a few people - one in particular who will go unnamed 
normal_smile .gif
 - who could benefit from the socket savers)))

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #236 of 608
Here is a different type of socket saver - plugs into your cigarette lighter socket and saves you 10-30% on gas. Sounds like a schizophrenic product: Parts from USA not China, assembled in China, and 100% Japanese made:

images

http://shop.a2ztrade.in/Neo-Socket-Gas-Saver

If you click on the link - good for a laugh, the bottom left ad is in Swedish.

Sold in India  for approx. $18.00.

Recycled Arcturus tubes?

arcturus551_1.jpg
arcturus551_1.jpg

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #237 of 608
Thanks Mordy. I think we know at least a few people - one in particular who will go unnamed 
normal_smile%20.gif
 - who could benefit from the socket savers)))

I didn't find the heat from the 6x adapter to be a problem. The adapter keeps the 6BL7's off the deck. Mordy, I believe, used the socket savers as the adapter didn't exactly fit his amp (since it was patterned off mine). And the socket savers allowed him to fudge the width distance a bit,

But either way, with or without socket savers is fine, functionally,

I do use socket savers (for heat relief) when I use 6AS7/5998 or 6080 (6080's are the hottest, I think).

It's all good, pct, I was happy when you discovered the goodness of 6SN7 as drivers...there are other good sounding tubes besides EL3N :)

And now your almost at the precipice of trying 6x 6BL7's....surely the world is about to end :)

If you buy the Transformer that Glenn suggested, I would be happy to prepare it for safe usage for you, by installing the two Terminal blocks / switch and fastening it to a tile block. You would just attach the adapter wires to the harmless 6.3 volt terminal block screws.

Cheers...

:p

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #238 of 608
If you buy the Transformer that Glenn suggested, I would be happy to prepare it for safe usage for you, by installing the two Terminal blocks / switch and fastening it to a tile block. You would just attach the adapter wires to the harmless 6.3 volt terminal block screws.

Cheers...

tongue.gif

Honestly, if I buy the transformer I may likely take you up on your offer, of course if you let me compensate you for your time and expense. It's not so much I'm concerned about shock. My previous posts on that were really theoretical and as you properly pointed out I really don't know what I'm talking about )) But candidly, I'm all thumbs and it would be nice to have it in a neat package.

I've got a couple of busy days ahead, but I'll be in touch. Thanks a lot ))) BE CAREFUL OF THE HEAT ))))

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #239 of 608
Matching quad of NOS/NIB RCA 6BL7GTA's. Even have matching date codes. Very short black base.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #240 of 608
^

Nice set. Good score.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back