For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Apr 16, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #3,496 of 9,589
  I have tried four Chatham 6AS7 tubes.....I sit here wondering what four 5998 would sound like....I have four to try.......have you tried that, gibosi ?

Too many tubes... not enough time... lol.

(Caution: You need an amp that can provide at least 11 amps to heat four 6AS7s plus a driver to do what Whirlwind is suggesting. Be careful!)

No, I haven't tried four 5998's yet... And I also want to try four GEC 6AS7s, of course! And in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that two GEC 6080s and two Bendix slotted graphite 6080s, one on each side, might be interesting to try.... Someday... lol :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,497 of 9,589

I have tried four Chatham 6AS7 tubes.....I sit here wondering what four 5998 would sound like....I have four to try.......have you tried that, gibosi ?

Too many tubes... not enough time... lol.

(Caution: You need an amp that can provide at least 11 amps to heat four 6AS7s plus a driver to do what Whirlwind is suggesting. Be careful!)

No, I haven't tried four 5998's yet... And I also want to try four GEC 6AS7s, of course! And in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that two GEC 6080s and two Bendix slotted graphite 6080s, one on each side, might be interesting to try.... Someday... lol :)

Thanks gibosi......I need to sneak into your tube inventory 
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #3,498 of 9,589
It is very hard for me to compare these as generally, the 6AS7 has a very different sonic signature than a 6BL7. And what makes it even more difficult is GEC and Chatham did not manufacture the 6BL7, so we can't make that comparison. And further, I am most familiar with Sylvania 6BL7 and unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, Sylvania did not manufacture the 6AS7. 

However, there is a very well-written and informative review in Tweak-Fi of a six 6BL7 Glenn OTL that does a pretty good job of describing the essential sonic differences between the 6AS7 and 6BL7.

http://www.tweak-fi.com/apps/blog/show/42754587-building-a-reference-system-part-2-glenn-s-headphone-amplifier
Thanks for that.

I'm not sure how accurate my idea is but grabbing what I could from that post has me thinking that when comparing them to standard or decent 6as7g (eg tung sol 5998) the Gec 6as7g and 6bl7 seem quite similar to what they bring/add. Including an extension of the upper end and being similar to solid state amps in some characteristics.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,499 of 9,589
I've been listening to a pair of sylvania 6bl7 flat plate just switched to a pair of ge's with the other style plate not sure what it's called, I can't seem to tell much difference in sq in the two. anyone else notice this..

Okay I can hear a difference between the flat plate and X plate. It is the mid-range is smoother on the flat. More forward and noticeable. I like the flat better. Agreed tho they are so close that either are fine.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,500 of 9,589
Thanks for that.

I'm not sure how accurate my idea is but grabbing what I could from that post has me thinking that when comparing them to standard or decent 6as7g (eg tung sol 5998) the Gec 6as7g and 6bl7 seem quite similar to what they bring/add. Including an extension of the upper end and being similar to solid state amps in some characteristics.

I don't own the GEC 6AS7 but I do own the 6080 version (which many say are similar to the 6AS7). The 6BL7 is nothing like the GEC6080.
I don't like the GEC6080 and it was quickly removed from my amp. So far away from my preferred sound.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3,502 of 9,589
Sounds like you never gave the valve a fair chance.

I am not as adventurous as you gents in trying different tubes but so far the GEC6080 is my favourite WA22 power tube. I have been trying to get backups to my set for several weeks. Sadly the post office has turned into a black hole sucking shipments in never to be seen again. Now trying the courier route. The set I have took about fifety hours to really shine. If Badas were to send me his GEC6080 sets I would put a few hundred hours on them as a friendly gesture. Save him the trouble of burning them in. He might like their sound signature after that...

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3,503 of 9,589
Sounds like you never gave the valve a fair chance.

No point. I know what I like and it wasn't GEC. It was too SS sounding. What is the point? Just buy a SS amp and then forget about tubes. I like my tubes to sound like tubes.

I'm not a fan of many highly regarded tubes as they have the SS sound. I have the Tung-Sol 7236 and Bendix 6080 graphite plates as well. Disregarded them also.

I found the GEC and Thompson was very close to each other. Thompson should get more love from the SS tube crowd.

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #3,505 of 9,589
GEC solid state :smile:

Yip. Not full sounding. Not much warmth. Very neutral.

I may try again one day. Tubes are not going anywhere.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #3,507 of 9,589
Perhaps the point is to avoid jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by that? :confused: I don't have to like a SS sounding tube do I?

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,508 of 9,589

Okay I can hear a difference between the flat plate and X plate. It is the mid-range is smoother on the flat. More forward and noticeable. I like the flat better. Agreed tho they are so close that either are fine.

I went back and listened, I'd agree the flat plates do have better mids, Thanks...Enjoy

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #3,509 of 9,589
  I went back and listened, I'd agree the flat plates do have better mids, Thanks...Enjoy

In my opinion, the "smoother", flat-plate Sylvania 6BL7GT go very well with brighter drivers, such as the Siemens C3g or the GEC/M-OV B36. But if I am using a more subdued driver, such as the Sylvania 6SN7W or the Mullard ECC31, vocals seem to have a slightly nasal quality (to my ears anyway), and thus with these drivers, I prefer the later three-mica X-plate Sylvania.

As always, YMMV :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,510 of 9,589
So how do these compare to the Gec 6as7g (and tung sol 5998)?

Didn't really care for 5998s
I sold my backup pair of GEC s if that tells you anything.
Double 6bl7 ecc35 and tak274B with hd800 S is the perfect combo for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back