For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Jun 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #331 of 9,589
Quote:
Quote:

I would really like to try these, how do they compare to the globe style, any differences?

I don't have the GEC 6AS7G, but the internal structure seems to be the same. Sonically they may be sounding similar but as far as saying strictly similar? That would have to be tested!

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #332 of 9,589
Quote:
1. Triangular type plates with Copper Posts
2. Plates with a Hole and Copper Posts
3. Plates with a Hole and Steel Posts
4. Rectangular type plates with Steel Posts.

I think the coolers on top may also be different.
I'll have to check my tubes. 

It's good to know, and did you spotted any differences in their sound signature if you happen to listen to gear that use them?

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #333 of 9,589

Are these similar or are there major differences?

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #334 of 9,589
Quote:
I don't have the GEC 6AS7G, but the internal structure seems to be the same. Sonically they may be sounding similar but as far as saying strictly similar? That would have to be tested!

The Black Base Osram (MOV) sound slightly different to the Brown Base GEC (MOV)

Oskari has done proper testing he knows better.

Quote:
It's good to know, and did you spotted any differences in their sound signature if you happen to listen to gear that use them?

I have 17 Bendix, tried them all briefly but could not spot any differences.
I must do proper ABX tests to be sure.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #335 of 9,589
Quote:
The Black Base Osram (MOV) sound slightly different to the Brown Base GEC (MOV)

Oskari has done proper testing he knows better.

There is a difference between those but they are both very good. I'm happy to say that I also like the GEC (MOV) 6080 which is quite like the later 6AS7G. Generally speaking, I would say that the older the tube, the more relaxed the sound, and I like relaxed as long as it doesn't equal sloppy.

For me it is

black base > brown base > 6080,

others may feel differently. There is, of course, always the question of system synergy and other tubes in the system.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #336 of 9,589
From my own understanding, they are the same tubes sans the "JAN" designation.  All the "JAN" stamp means if a batch of tubes were hand selected, tested, and approved for military rigor.  I've tried both of these and they sound exactly the same, as they should, because they are the same tube.
Quote:

Are these similar or are there major differences?

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #337 of 9,589
That's what I was hoping, thanks for the reply hodgjy.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #338 of 9,589
You're welcome!

There is only one difference in RCA 6AS7G plates that I know of, and it's the black vs. gray plates.  Some claim that the gray plates sound better, but I've tried several tests (not blind) and could not hear one lick of a difference between the colors.

Quote:
That's what I was hoping, thanks for the reply hodgjy.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #339 of 9,589
Quote:

There is a difference between those but they are both very good. I'm happy to say that I also like the GEC (MOV) 6080 which is quite like the later 6AS7G. Generally speaking, I would say that the older the tube, the more relaxed the sound, and I like relaxed as long as it doesn't equal sloppy.

For me it is

black base > brown base > 6080,

others may feel differently. There is, of course, always the question of system synergy and other tubes in the system.

I could not agree more!

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #340 of 9,589
Quote:
From my own understanding, they are the same tubes sans the "JAN" designation.  All the "JAN" stamp means if a batch of tubes were hand selected, tested, and approved for military rigor.  I've tried both of these and they sound exactly the same, as they should, because they are the same tube.

My GE 6AS7G and JAN GE 6AS7G have different bottle shape, not just the JAN marking. Also the internal electrical wired root structure is different. JAN have a slightly shorter and larger bottle shape.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #341 of 9,589
I don't doubt you at all.  I've looked at several of my RCA and JAN RCA tubes, and they mix and match different bottle shapes and wiring scheme (mainly the insulation).  I think it has to do with the year it was made, the plant it was in, and/or the person making the tube.  It just seems to be a mix and match pattern.  In the end, I couldn't hear one lick of a difference between any of them.
Quote:
My GE 6AS7G and JAN GE 6AS7G have different bottle shape, not just the JAN marking. Also the internal electrical wired root structure is different. JAN have a slightly shorter and larger bottle shape.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #342 of 9,589
Jun 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #343 of 9,589
Yes, they did, and they also made the Chatham branded ones from the late 50's onward.  The best sounding American 6AS7 in my opinion.  There are slight differences in sound between the Tung Sol and Chatham version due to different material usage particularly in the grid posts.  I feel the Chathams are a little more organic and offer slightly more depth, but both are superior to the RCA version to my ears.

That particular 6AS7 in the photo has 5998 plates which makes it a little more complicated.  It could actually be a 5998 re-branded (odd, but the tube is substitutable in most situations), or it could be a re-labeled 6520 which were often made with 5998 anode plates but were 6AS7 tubes electrically.  Either way it is odd to see those plates on a tube with 6AS7G printed on it.  Tung Sol made a normal 6AS7G with readily identifiable 6AS7 style plates.  The tabs at the ends of the plate where they insert into the micas are silver colored with the rest of the plate being black, from about 1960 onward and this makes them very easy to identify from other 6AS7 tubes.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #344 of 9,589
Well it's mine~ :p

Made me feel kind of special now

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #345 of 9,589
Tung-Sol 6AS7G's are among my very favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back