Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Apr 29, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #781 of 868
Hi, I am not sure if i should post it here, But i need help from you guys. I am using the Concero HP and at a volume level of 14 i get adequate volume. Now i want it to be much more sensitive. What can i do? This is a problem especially with DSD, Because i can't even change the volume in foobar.
Thanks for the help

By much more sensitive do you mean you want the optimal volume setting of the Concero HP to be higher or lower?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 6, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #783 of 868
i just want to say "thank you very much for your hard work"
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #784 of 868
  I cant download your dsp chain preset, even both configurations are also not downloading soo I had installed manually, but please renew your dsp chain preset link.

try this dude, his custom foobar

https://efzrea.bn1303.livefilestore.com/y2mGHZKGqjF1nwjDrwOFmd5d-7bNnve7ER7wfmd86ggPaV48Js9sQ9Ad2NpIa_iRD6sX7utnWTkpzsT1IGs9ahzDVb4ud0El_T9EYGxtFv2YwQYJ-N3MXhUHZ2TGnTQ30gT/foobar2000.v1.3.8.Dolby.Headphone.(Neutral)-RPGWiZaRD.zip?download&psid=1

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #785 of 868
I forgot about that bug with the VST adapter... yes, you would usually have trouble loading Electri-Q presets with the VST adapter included in this thread.

1. On the one time that you manage to load the preset without crashing foobar, go to foobar's File->Preferences->Playback->DSP manager, and save a new DSP chain preset by typing a name in the text box and clicking Save. This would save a foobar preset with my new EQ for future use.
2. You may also consider switching to another VST wrapper that supports VSTs better: http://www.yohng.com/software/foobarvst.html This supports VSTs in foobar2000 in much more stable fashion, albeit only allowing one VST to load at a time.

I analyzed the output of DH2 and found it does indeed have slightly less reverb than DH1. Its frequency response is also well-nigh identical to that of DH1, but I made a separate EQ for it anyway:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtdytt6lqqm2t7j/Dolby%205.1ch%20headphone%20compensation-DH2.e-q?dl=0

About the use of the Digital Economy setting, I have found that it is actually the setting that elicits the highest fidelity from Electri-Q, as evidenced by a well-nigh perfect impulse response. A perfect impulse passing through Electri-Q in Digital Economy mode will come out still looking pretty much like a perfect impulse.
In Out
(there is the slightest bit of LF rolloff causing a change to the waveform that is however not visible to the naked eye and certainly not audible. We're talking about 0.1dB of rolloff at 4Hz or so)

A perfect impulse passing through Electri-Q in Digital mode on the other hand will look like this:

@xnor speculated that this was the effect of an upsampling filter used to make the effects of high-frequency adjustments more precise. But I reckon that since Electri-Q shows the effects of the lack of the upsampling filter on the filter shape in Economy mode, I'd live with the minor inaccuracy (adjusting the curve manually if needed) and get the much better looking impulse response in return. It shouldn't be audibly different either way but still...

How to apply this in the custom foobar?

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #786 of 868
If have written a short tutorial how to setup convolution reverb with BRIRs. Unfortunately the tutorial is not written in English yet and I have not enough time in the moment to  translate it.

So here is a very short explanation:
Convolution reverb is a well known method for creating    an “acoustic-fingerprint” of different sound stages.  Normally a frequency sweep is played through speakers and is recorded at one or several positions at a specified distance.  After deconvolution of this recording you get an “impulse response (IR)”.  This impulse response contains the whole information of the room and used speakers.  If you use the IR in a convolution reverb dsp the incoming audio will be filtered with the IR and playback will sound like the audio was recorded in the room where the IR was originally measured.  When a dummy head (or a real head) is used for recording the IR you will get the so called Binaural Room Impulse Responses (BRIR).  If you use a BRIR in a convolution reverb dsp incoming audio will be filtered with the BRIR and playback will sound like the Audio was recorded with a dummy head in the room where the BRIR was originally measured.

Using BRIRs with foobar2000:
Download:
VST-Convolver: http://convolver.sourceforge.net/
Resampler:  http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=67373
VST-Host: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947

Impulse responses:
The BRIRs are recorded at 5 different rooms with a dummy head (full 360° rotation, 720 channels) and there are filters for some headphones. You should choose the headphone filter which comes closest to your own headphone model. The BRIRS are published under a  CC BY-SA 3.0  license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode)
 and can be found here:
http://www.audiogroup.web.fh-koeln.de/wdr_irc.html
They can’t be used directly with the convolver VST as it can only handle wave and PCM.  But I already have created wave files of the BRIRS which can be used with the convolver.
 http://www.xup.in/dl,13480571/Binaurale_Wiedergabe_ueber_KH24022015.zip/

Setup:
1 Install foobar
2 install the VST-Host/ resampler component
3 Install the Convolver
4 unzip the Impulse responses and put the file “BinauralAudio” to c/programs
5 load the resampler into the active component list and resample to 48 kHz
6 load the convolver VST into the active component list and load one of the txt-files you find in the file “BinauralAudio” and choose a useful attenuation.

That’s all :)

Informations and tutorials  how the convolver works  can be found on the download site.
The linked BRIRs are just a example. You can use every IR as long it is  wave or PCM. You can find a lot other  IRs for free and if  you have the rigth hardware you can make your own IR or BRIRs.

1. I already use one VST (ReLife, it's great); is it possible to run two at once?

I don't think it is with George Wong's VST Wrapper :frowning2:

2. Is this an alternative to DH or meant to be used in conjunction with it?

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #787 of 868
1. I already use one VST (ReLife, it's great); is it possible to run two at once?

I don't think it is with George Wong's VST Wrapper
frown.gif

2. Is this an alternative to DH or meant to be used in conjunction with it?

1  You can use Yegors VST adapter. For most VSTs it works and you can load as many VSTs as you want in foobar and it is not limted to stereo.
2  It is an alternative. It is not limted to foobar and can also be used for videos in any directshow player on Windows. I use it for about  six month now and I like it more than DH which I used  some years.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #789 of 868

​
RPGWiZaRD's Dolby Headphone foobar2000 info & tweaks
 ​

FAQ

Q: What's the goal of this foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config?

A: The goal is to enhance the "out-of-box" experience, make recordings sound more "live"-like with as realistic and clear positioning as possible while maintaining sound quality as close to the original signal as possible. Also it makes the sound a bit more "forward" sounding for more engaging experience that makes you wanna tap to the rythm or dance along with the music as well as having vocalist standing almost within reach to you while background instruments may sound like they'd be coming far from the background or to the sides for a more dynamic and wider listening feeling like you would forget you're wearing any headphones!

Q: Why share this config here on Head-Fi?

A: Because I realize everyone doesn't like tweaking but I do and find that if people like grasping the settings just like that and enjoys them then I'm also happy they are enjoying it, it's a win-win situation.

Q: How do you know how to adjust the settings?

A: I only go by ear really. I've been EQing my headphones for many years and tried out different VST plugins or standalone apps that try to modify the sound in different ways so I've gotten used to hear the tiny differences in sound. You can train your ears as well! EQing is one good way to start which can be suprisingly educative. 

You, sir, are my new HERO!  Thank you so much for this!  From now on I'm using the "Forward" setting for rock, rap, etc., and "Laid Back" for Acoustic and Orchestral.  Right now, I'm about 3/4 of the way through Hotel California, and lemme tell ya, I have NEVER heard this song sound so damn good on a pair of headphones.  The music sounds like it's all around me!  And yet, the sacrifice in detail-resolution in order to obtain the widened soundstage and imaging is so tiny and subtle that I have to listen REALLY hard in order to perceive it at all!  Kudos to you, man, it's clear you spent a long, long time experimenting with and tweaking these settings, and I am very grateful to you for it ^_^

By the way, the headphones I'm currently using are V-Moda M-80s, which certainly have pretty darn good soundstage and imaging for a pair of closed on-ears.  However, these DSP settings take its soundstage to a whole other level entirely, almost like a good pair of open-backed cans!  I'm saving up right now to buy a pair of either Sony MDR-1A or PSB M4U 1 cans, which both have INCREDIBLY wide soundstages and imaging for closed-back cans, and I simply can't WAIT to see what these settings make THEM sound like once I get them :wink:

Again, thank you!

Edit:  BTW, has anyone else been trying to compare the sound they get with this method to that obtained using the various possible settings in TB Isone?  TB Isone is a great program, which I feel like may be managing to tweak and widen the soundstage even MORE than teh settings described here, but I also feel like it might be sacrificing a bit more detail as a result.  Anyone else having trouble deciding between using these settings, and using Isone?

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #790 of 868
I actually do have one big ol' question, guys! Where can I get Electri-Q, now? It no longer seems to be available for download!   I had to use Easy-Q instead, and couldn't get the EQ settings as-precise with it.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #792 of 868
Oct 15, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #794 of 868
@ nicholasng99

Interesting to see that you can have 5.1 in the VST host. I never get it working with 5.1 input. :)
You know that all the dsps also could be loaded directly in foobar? So the VST host is not necessary. DH and TB Isone are doing similar sound processing. This both dsps shouldn't  be used together.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back