Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #19,111 of 20,644
All this cable talk had me do a bit of rolling. I had been using the LR for quite awhile and frankly had lost interest in the Utopia and was preferring my iem’s. I rolled custom cans to silver dragon to a couple of my own cables to LR and finally to the stock rubber hose of the og utopia. You know… the rubber hose is a great sounding cable. The LR does flesh out the mids and soften the treble for an overall smoother presentation. The OG brings back some excitement. I can’t say any cable is best but each will suit someone.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #19,112 of 20,644
All this cable talk had me do a bit of rolling. I had been using the LR for quite awhile and frankly had lost interest in the Utopia and was preferring my iem’s. I rolled custom cans to silver dragon to a couple of my own cables to LR and finally to the stock rubber hose of the og utopia. You know… the rubber hose is a great sounding cable. The LR does flesh out the mids and soften the treble for an overall smoother presentation. The OG brings back some excitement. I can’t say any cable is best but each will suit someone.
I quite liked the sound of stock cable as well. Sure, the design left to be desired. I probably wouldn't have upgraded if it wasn't so long. Wanted a shorter cable.

I actually at first swapped it for Forza's hybrid (copper and silver) cable, but found myself going back to the stock cable. The Forza cable sounded too sharp, making me question if I should've just gone all copper. But then one of the connectors on the stock cable went bad. I pulled back the rubber behind the connector and could see a couple strands poking out. Pity. Dunno how to fix it. Not the best quality for something so expensive.

I saw the new shorter stock cable available (the one with the 3.5mm termination) for not that much and thought that could be a good option for a replacement. Unfortunately, it sounds like poo. Glad I didn't spend that much. Thought it was the same wiring as the OG cable, just shorter. It really doesn't sound like it. Steer clear.

I just ended up settling with an all-copper version of the Forza. Pretty happy with it. It sounds like an in-between the hybrid and the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #19,115 of 20,644
Jan 9, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #19,116 of 20,644
Not sure why headphone cables need to be super thick, maybe if headphones were intended to be used in coal mine or war zone for sake of durability or demanded wires that could withstand +100 watts of constant power. Added thickness starts to reduce comfort rather quickly.
The sheath is thick. If you look closely there are red-sheathed seperate cables inside. It reminded me of another company that uses red sheathed cables.

I do agree that the thick sheathing adds to the cost and ergonomics.

Every now and then I swap back to the stock cables out of convenience.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #19,118 of 20,644
Anyone know where I can find discounts on the Utopia 2022? Not sure if I missed any good deals around Christmas time. I've been listening to the Utopia 2022 from a loaner tour the past few days... and I'm seriously considering getting it. Edit: Thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to wait a bit on deciding to buy. I'm good with what I have for now :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #19,119 of 20,644
Anyone know where I can find discounts on the Utopia 2022? Not sure if I missed any good deals around Christmas time. I've been listening to the Utopia 2022 from a loaner tour the past few days... and I'm seriously considering getting it.
They're too new to have a discount, so no, you didn't miss any deals. Your best bet is to get an open-box discount (one for example that I see available is at tmraudio.com for $1K off) or a used unit from someone who didn't like them for maybe a bit more off.

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #19,120 of 20,644
Hi All! Soon to be Utopia owner (arrives tommorrow), bought used off of US Audio Mart. It's coming with stock cable (1/4" jack), hoping to convert cable to balanced for my Mjolnir 2 Headphone Amp. Have any of you converted the stock cable? Thanks, and have a great night!

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #19,122 of 20,644
Thanks Joseph69! Wish me luck!

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #19,124 of 20,644
They're too new to have a discount, so no, you didn't miss any deals. Your best bet is to get an open-box discount (one for example that I see available is at tmraudio.com for $1K off) or a used unit from someone who didn't like them for maybe a bit more off.

If anyone in the EU is interested for a Nutopia,I will get one (Open Box) at the end of next week for a very good price

NOMAX

PS.who is seriously interested, just send a private message to me 👍

lol🤪

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #19,125 of 20,644
Anyone know where I can find discounts on the Utopia 2022? Not sure if I missed any good deals around Christmas time. I've been listening to the Utopia 2022 from a loaner tour the past few days... and I'm seriously considering getting it.
Ask a dealer. I won't name names or amounts, but I got a considerable discount with a simple request. They can't advertise discounts though, since dealers must honor manufacturers' dictated pricing, or they're no longer a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back