Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #9,841 of 20,634
I think @point1 got the cable like the one mentioned below which was news to me. It's not the thick heavy 4m cable that many of us have.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/page-648#post-14756234

Perhaps replacing the $1k cable allows them to make a deeper discount ... I must treat my cable with respect :)

You are spot on.. This is the cable the came with the bundle.

So the question remains, which one should I get to replace the stock cable?

I'm looking for balanced

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #9,842 of 20,634
Take this for what it’s worth as I don’t own a Utopia, but I really like the Moon Audio dragon series cables. I think they recommend the Black Dragon (silver plated copper) for the Utopia. Their owner is very familiar with the Utopia and I’m sure he could help you select the right pairing if you decide to go that route.

Thank you! I will research this

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #9,843 of 20,634
I'm sorry I was not clear. I can't explain it, the TA-ZH1ES is so so good. ZR1 was awesome with it but the Utopias was like wow. I was really surprised because I didn't expect that from Sony. I think for my ears, the Utopia can be a little bright and the TA-ZH1ES to me is a bit warmer as a sound signature so it tames the Utopia but I the clarity and the resolution is there. I actually want to do an A/B comparison with the Sony amp and whatever AMP I pair my Schiit Yggdrasil with. I was blown away at how much I really liked that combination. So much so that I went and purchased the Utopia new and bought the ZR1 used. I'm now hunting for the TA-ZH1ES on the used market. If I don't find one in the next month or so, I might have to give in and buy new.

In the meantime, I'm typing this post while listening to the Utopia on a Lyr2/Bifrost multibit stack. Sounds really good and If I have to live with this stack, I will be happy. However, I want to chase what I heard while I was at Source AV and recreate it. Mind you, this was over 3 separate visits and each time, I was astounded by the combination.

Thanks, I get it now. Well, it appears my going for the TA is in line with your observations. Especially when compared to higher end (and more expensive) gear.

I believe if Sony wanted to enter real high end (meaning super expensive stuff - speakers, amps, DACs, etc.), they would have the resources and the know-how to be at the top of the game. Just look at what Pioneer did with their high end department - TAD. To me and also to many respected audiophiles that I know, TAD is the pinnacle of high end.

So glad Sony didn't put a higher price on the TA :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #9,844 of 20,634
I've been thinking about this point, too. I'm a Utopia owner looking for a new headamp, leaning toward solid-state pieces like the Bryston BHA-1 or HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. On the boards I've read different perspectives from "too hot" to "no problem". I'll be at CanJam in New York next weekend, so I hope to listen to some options for myself.

I own Chord TT2, Bryston Bha-1, RME Adi 2 Pro, A&K Acro and Beyer A2. I Like the Bryston/ Utopia combination a lot... but I guess everyones ears are different... always best to try as many cans/amps/dacs/whatever at your local dealer as possible, before you decide...

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #9,845 of 20,634
I own Chord TT2, Bryston Bha-1, RME Adi 2 Pro, A&K Acro and Beyer A2. I Like the Bryston/ Utopia combination a lot... but I guess everyones ears are different... always best to try as many cans/amps/dacs/whatever at your local dealer as possible, before you decide...

Which DAC were you using with the Bryston/Utopia combination?

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #9,848 of 20,634
Now that I am a newly minted Utopia owner, I wanted to ask for recommendations regarding cables. The stock cable is fairly short. I'm looking for balanced cable recommendations (one that doesn't cost half the price of the Utopia itself)

Thank you in advance!
I would look into Norne Audio. I just got a Balanced Einvaldi cables for my Utopias. Nice upgrade over the stock cable. I have never been into cables as audio jewelry, but they are amazing to look at. They seen to hit the sweet spot for value\performance IMHO.

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #9,849 of 20,634
I would look into Norne Audio. I just got a Balanced Einvaldi cables for my Utopias. Nice upgrade over the stock cable. I have never been into cables as audio jewelry, but they are amazing to look at. They seen to hit the sweet spot for value\performance IMHO.

Very happy with my Norne Draug Silver balanced cable. Exceptional workmanship as well.

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #9,851 of 20,634
I’m entertaining the idea of selling my 3m stock cable, but I have no idea what it is worth. I’ve seen the 4m listed for about $1,100. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated ...

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #9,852 of 20,634
My new pair has about 50h on them now. Listening to “Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool” as I write this. These cans are so good...mindblowing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back